Show me 442nd Inf Reg groupings!!

Ricardo

I've posted these before. This is a group I found at the estate sale of Mitsuo Kawamoto who was a medic with the 442. He apparently stayed in the army and was stationed in Japan during the Korean War. It appears that he changed from a medic to a cook. I believe he retired from the military about the time of the Vietnam War. The first photo shows his WWII insignia and medals. Note the souvenir scarf with the embroidered 442 insignia and the rare bullion 442 patch. One of the DIs was given to me by a 442 vet I used to work with.

DSCN0790.jpg

Here's his unit T shirt from Camp Shelby.

DSCN0791.jpg

Here's some of his paper items.

DSCN0792.jpg

A close-up showing his signature.

DSCN0793.jpg

Cobrahistorian

Great topic!

I'll have to take some pictures of it, but I've got Captain Shigeki Hayashi's class A jacket in my collection. Hayashi was the 3rd Battalion surgeon throughout their time overseas. I'm in contact with his grandson who was gracious enough to send me a full color scan of Hayashi's military ID. The family still has his awards (including his Purple Heart and Combat Medic's Badge). To honor his grandfather his grandson named his record label 442 records.

I'll see about getting some pics up later.

Jon

• 1 month later...

I would love to post some pictures of uniforms and memorablia but my uploads fail because the pictures are too large. Does anyone know what I should do? I have some great pics of 442nd uniforms and an 82nd and a 101st airborne uniform from members of the 442 who volunteered for jump school.

You should be able to go into your photoshop and edit the size down to the required upload size, if you have a photshop program on your computer with your digital camera... If not that you may try uploading to a photobucket account. I have heard that that option is also available..

Good luck, and look forward to seeing the pics..

Leigh...

Nice stuff you got on the 442nd if you would like to see more stuff on this unit at the USS Hornet museum in Alameda they have a section with a lot of stuff German war booty they brought back photo's more than I can tell you.And I am retired from the military so a few months ago the military has a hotel in Hawaii were Fort De Rossi was what use to be a bunker with a gun emplacement is now a museum has another good exhibit on the 442nd.

Vietnam Era Dress Uniform of former 442nd Medic. He received a battlefield commission during WWII. Late in the war, he was captured and served in a POW camp. He remained in the Army and served in both Korea and Nam.

post-12500-1283972815.jpg

post-12500-1283972428.jpg

post-12500-1283972658.jpg

post-12500-1283973029.jpg

post-12500-1283974549.jpg

The canteen on the 2nd shelf has the name of the nisei engraved on it along with his POW number. On top of the canteen is the POW medal. He took the canteen from another prisoner because that prisoner took his canteen. On the cup, the former owner engraved all of the campaigns he had been in from Sicily to France. The former owner was from Bixby, Oklahoma.

GoForBrokeMovie.gif

go-for-broke-van-johnson.JPG

I just wanted to interject an interesting fact. The short 442nd soldier depicted standing with Van Johnson - his real name was Larry "Shorty" Kazumura of Hilo, HI. He was below the minimum height requirement but still volunteered. He stood only 4'9" tall and wore size 2-1/2EEE. Replicas of his combat boots were on display at the Smithsonian several years back. While offering medical aid to his seriously wounded lieutenant in battle (Lt. Mike Kreskowsky), Shorty himself was also gravely wounded and received the BS and PH.

This is our Shorty Kazumura display. When the M1 was equipped with the old 16" bayonet, it was over 1 inch taller than Shorty. He also was a civilian employee at Pearl Harbor on 12/7/41. and he assisted in recovering the bodies of the sailors in the waters of Pearl harbor.

This is a Keystone Arsenal Replica of the M1A1 SMG. The most distinctive signature on the buttstock is of Barney Hajiro - 442nd MOH winner.

post-12500-1284045701.jpg

Three Nisei Ike uniforms. The one on the left is George Morihiro's Ike jacket. Although he was not a big guy, George carried the BAR similar to the one below the uniform. The middle Ike uniform belongs to John Fujinari. After jump school, John was assigned to the 101st and saw his first action in the defense of Bastogne during the Battle of the Bulge. The Ike uniform on the right is from Ted Nakanishi. Ted was severely wounded during the assault on the Gothic Line. After spending 8 hours climbing up a cliff in the dark of night, he was shot in the face by a sniper. He calls it a daylight wound because when his officer examined him, he said you could see daylight from the bullet hole which went from his cheek bone and out the back of his neck. He then spent another 8 hours with the medics as they hauled him back down from the Gothic Line.

This is our Shorty Kazumura display. When the M1 was equipped with the old 16" bayonet, it was over 1 inch taller than Shorty. He also was a civilian employee at Pearl Harbor on 12/7/41. and he assisted in recovering the bodies of the sailors in the waters of Pearl harbor.

RKE - many thanks for the additional facts but the "jpg" is not visible. Can you repost, please? :-)

Sort of off the topic. This is a uniform for our Merrill's Marauders display. The patches are bullion and were obtained off the internet, although two Merrill's Marauders assure that they are authentic. That opinion was also supported by the learned members of this forum as well. The pictures are of Henry Gosho, Roy Matsumoto and Grant Hirabayashi. All three of these MMs were inducted into the US Army Rangers Hall of Fame for their work with the MMs. The artifacts around the uniform were provided by Roy or Grant. The carbine has been signed by Grant. We are waiting for Roy to sign it as well.

After speaking with Henry Gosho's family, we discovered that w/out his glasses, he was legally blind so he has several spare pairs of glasses. During one mission, Gosho was told he was going to parachute into an island with airborne troops. However, Henry was not airborne qualified and never trained to jump. But he jumped anyway. When he landed, his fall broke all of his 11 spare glasses. Fortunately for Henry, the pair he was wearing survived.

post-12500-1284047450.jpg

post-12500-1283974549.jpg

post-12500-1284045701.jpg

post-12500-1284046743.jpg

vostoktrading

Great stuff showing up on this thread!

Here's a few patches and things I've had for a while. The DI's are made in Italy. The first pattern patch seems to be used and cut off a uniform but I'm under the impression it was never used. I've never figured that one out.

post-7885-1284067482.jpg

post-7885-1284067497.jpg