Excellent WW1 Navy Uniform Pics from BEALE Crew

All:

Just picked this oversized photo up and I thought I'd show some close-in scans to serve as a reference for WW1 Navy uniforms. It is the crew of the USS BEALE, DD40, taken either in late 1918 or early 1919, either in Scotland or in Philadelphia. My hunch is that it was taken in Scotland right before they left to cross the Atlantic back to Philly.

First up is a scan of the entire photo. I had to patch three scans together because it was so big.

Dave

BEALE_Photo_1.jpg

Here's closeup number one of the last couple of CPOs and then the LTJG. Note the sleeve markings on the leftmost sleeve...former apprentice and more! Looks like he was a Gunners Mate Chief.

BEALECP1.jpg

Here's the middle closeup with the Captain (LCDR Unknown). Looks like he's wearing the ribbon for the Navy Mexican Service Medal.

BEALECP4.jpg

Here's the Sailor right over the Captain's right shoulder. Looks like he's been around for a minute or two...has one service hash mark, but wears the ribbons for the Dominican Campaign and one other I can't make out.

BEALECP3.jpg

Here's the last closeup (for now). This is of the last two right-hand CPOs. Note the "Doc" looking very studious with the round glasses, bow tie, and sweater!

BEALECP5.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

Great picture Dave! I think the Sailor with the hash mark is likely wearing the First Haitian Campaign ribbon before the Domican... ?

That is a fantastic photograph. In the book American Steel Navy (John D. Alden, Naval Institute Press), there are dozens of photos (pre-WWI) of sailors and officers and that show varying details of the uniforms. I haven't seen very many images of the WWI uniforms in this measure of detail.

Thanks for posting.

Hi Dave,

Thanks so much for the tour of the photo! For years I sort of ignored WWI Navy photos, but in the last few have added several as I learn the variations and intricacies of Navy insignia, uniform and equipment. Fascinating stuff!

John

Here's closeup number one of the last couple of CPOs and then the LTJG. Note the sleeve markings on the leftmost sleeve...former apprentice and more! Looks like he was a Gunners Mate Chief.

Dave, notice that the CGM wears the "Seaman Gunner" insignia and is a qualified Torpedoman.

Steve Hesson

• 3 years later...

Dave;

My Grandfather (Henry F. Lassen) after leaving the wireless school at Harvard in 1917 (left early so he could get in the War) served as a Machinist Mate 1st Class on the USS Beale. Over the years all that remains of his Navy service are a few small photos of him training at Great Lakes, New Bedford Mass and a several at sea on the Beale; so it was wonderful to see this photo. What makes it exceptionally exciting is he is in the lineup - second to the last row, third from the right with the cocked cap!

I think this may have been taken in 1918 at Queenstown, Ireland as the USS Jarvis: DD-38, is in the background and it served along with the Beale in the Atlantic Fleet during WWI.

No one in the family ever saw this image before, so I'd love to get copies made. Is this a reproduced copy or an original image? If it is a copy, could you point the direction for geting prints made?

Many thanks,

Bruce