10 replies to this topic

#1 IMPERIAL QUEST

IMPERIAL QUEST
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,000
  • 3,923 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 09:55 AM

Hi all,

For years, I have collected Imperial German flight badges, and now, I would like to add some wings that represent the good guys from the Great War to my collection.

I stumbled across a very nice site with many WW I wings of differing varieties, but I cannot remember the address. Any help from you all on a good, honest source would be most appreciated.

#2 Paul C.

Paul C.
  • Members
    • Member ID: 182
  • 2,005 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 10:10 AM

Ron Burkey at http://www.flyingtigerantiques.com usually has some, and he guarantees them, BIG bucks however

#3 IMPERIAL QUEST

IMPERIAL QUEST
  • Members
  • 3,923 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 10:19 AM

Ron Burkey at http://www.flyingtigerantiques.com usually has some, and he guarantees them, BIG bucks however

Thanks for the link Paul. Good heavens, some of those wings cost twice as much as I paid for my rarest Imperial German piece....I had no idea. And I thought that I was getting into a little more affordable area of collecting. :wacko:

#4 KurtA

KurtA
  • Members
    • Member ID: 322
  • 7,443 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 05:26 PM

Steve-
If you buy one, get a return guarantee from the dealer and post it here. Fake WW1 wings are a HUGE problem and it can be very difficult to tell the good from bad. On metal wings, look at the US letters. Originals tend to be very neat and symetrical. Fakes tend to have very uneven letters.
Most on ebay I've seen are bad, but I have seen some great ones pop up.
Kurt

Edited by KurtA, 01 August 2007 - 05:27 PM.

#5 vintageproductions

vintageproductions

ADMINISTRATOR

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 492
  • 15,915 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 06:17 PM

The ones that are listed on Ron Burkey's website are no doubt originals. Ron has one of the most impressive WWI Wing collections I have ever seen, and I have seen a lot. The ones he has listed are duplicates of ones in his collection. If you email him and ask questions he will more then happily answer them.

#6 John Cooper

John Cooper
  • Members
    • Member ID: 227
  • 3,063 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 08:37 PM

You get what you pay for sometimes!

#7 KurtA

KurtA
  • Members
  • 7,443 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 01:52 AM

The ones that are listed on Ron Burkey's website are no doubt originals. Ron has one of the most impressive WWI Wing collections I have ever seen, and I have seen a lot. The ones he has listed are duplicates of ones in his collection. If you email him and ask questions he will more then happily answer them.

I'd agree. I've seen his at shows and they do look good. I guess it's better to pay $3000 for an original than $1000 for a fake.
Kurt

#8 IMPERIAL QUEST

IMPERIAL QUEST
  • Members
  • 3,923 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 06:04 AM

Thanks all for the replies. I will heed your advice. ;)

#9 none

none
  • Banned
    • Member ID: 1,465
  • 251 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 04:00 AM

To see a large amount of WWI reproductions, go to www.1903.com. You can use this as a guide to determine what is being made. This is by no means complete but does show a munber of wings. Before bidding on eBay on a WWI, it would be a good idea to cross check with this site.

#10 KurtA

KurtA
  • Members
  • 7,443 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 05:51 AM

To see a large amount of WWI reproductions, go to www.1903.com. You can use this as a guide to determine what is being made. This is by no means complete but does show a munber of wings. Before bidding on eBay on a WWI, it would be a good idea to cross check with this site.

Excellent advice. Being familiar with techniques used in making fakes is a must for collectors.
Kurt

#11 IMPERIAL QUEST

IMPERIAL QUEST
  • Members
  • 3,923 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 06:16 AM

Thanks very much for the link. ;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users