Cold War Service/Victory Medal

PaulR

teufelhunde.ret
It could be a Cold War service, or a Cold War victory medal. I know some of you don't want one, and I know some of you don't need one, but there are thousands of bureaucratic arms of our government that could do with some revamping. Honoring our American heroes should never take a back seat to cost. There may be many frivolous ribbons in the American military right now, but a medal for serving in a capacity where you might be killed because you're wearing a certain flag on your arm isn't frivolous in my humble opinion.

Agree, the cost of this is minuscule. It could be paid for by one of the Congressional Delegation's giving up next summer's political junkets to some far-flung country.

• 2 weeks later...

I take a broader, historical view of the Cold War. When you look at it in these terms, a separate decoration doesn't make sense IMO. Korea, Vietnam, El Salvador and our our other conflicts in Central America, even Grenada to name a few examples were all "hot" portions of the Cold War. These conflicts were peripheral, proxy battles against Soviet-inspired and sponsored Communism. All of these actual conflicts have already been recognized w/ their own decorations. The force in readiness, "training and waiting" portion of the Cold War was simply our mission tasking at that time, and does not justify a separate service award. I think a "Victory Medal" similar to those issued after the two World Wars would be more appropriate...but this is politically untenable for many reasons.

• 1 month later...

Everyone has their own opinion on the Cold War Medal here is mine. I set on the czech border many times not knowing if the alert was real or just more training. When we were offered the Cold War Certificate I thought well it's about time, only anyone that worked for the government, even clerk typist that never wore or cared to wear a uniform recieved one. To me this was a slap in the face, I work for the Corp of Engineers and it amazed me at all the people that grabbed one. I think I deserve one even if a lot of other veterans don't.

I was in the USMC Reserves from 1984-90. I was happy to get the cold war certificate when it came out. The only other award I have is the Organized Marine Corps Reserve medal. I really do think I deserve more then that. I think that if other vets don't care then forget it. Congress has more important issues to deal with that they will put off and go on Christmas vacation.

• 1 month later...

I think I'll go out any buy one for myself. I think most of the younger people around today just don't really know what we were up against! And yes, everyone who wore a uniform during the cold war did their part! Without being ready to do whatever was necessary, we would probably be speaking Russian right now! I was stationed in Europe on a mountain top during the peak of the cold war providing communications to the entire NATO forces there. Received nothing other than a overseas ribbon. Nothing like being told by your commander that you don't have to worry, we're #1 on the nuke list!

I'll proudly wear it on my dress blues when they put me in the ground!