swi 1943 machete

dale

I FOUND A U.S. MARKED 1943 DATED SWI MACHETE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD 50 FEET FROM MY HOUSE THE OTHER DAY...BLADE IS RUSTY(FRESH..SHOULD CLEAN RIGHT OFF)WHAT DOES SWI STAND FOR??

General Apathy
I FOUND A U.S. MARKED 1943 DATED SWI MACHETE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD 50 FEET FROM MY HOUSE THE OTHER DAY...BLADE IS RUSTY(FRESH..SHOULD CLEAN RIGHT OFF)WHAT DOES SWI STAND FOR??

Hi Dale, SWI is a surplus supply company in Chicago and although the machetes bear WWII dates of 1943 and 1944 and some also have USMC on them they are in fact post war manufacture for the surplus trade.

If you use the search facility at the top of this forum and add SWI in there then you should hopefully find a link to previous posts about these reproduction machetes.

Cheers Lewis

dale- Gonna burst you bubble a little bit. For about the last I don't know 35+ years a lot of us collectors got fooled by this one. To include me! Cole had it listed in his book, and we all assumed it was legit. They were made for some sales company, and I'm sorry forgot the name, with 1943 and 1944 dates. I suspect maybe Ontario, because of the quality. I paid $10, for a mint one in the 80's and just new I had a great WW2 machete for a great price.The truth was only revealed just a few years ago. But, you have a nice quality machete to use, and it was the best kind-"FREE". I'm sure one of the other guys will remember the name of the company. It might be in the "US Military Knives and Bayonets" site. Join the club! SKIP

thanks for the info guys....i just knew i had a nice ww2 machete for free :( maybe next time i did find a nice camillus m4 bayonet this weekend for 35.00 really nice and clean with m8 scabbard

i did find a nice camillus m4 bayonet this weekend for 35.00 really nice and clean with m8 scabbard

I hope you are going to share pictures in a separate thread, hint, hint ;) . I'd love to see the example you have as I am looking for one myself.

Tim

I hope you are going to share pictures in a separate thread, hint, hint ;) . I'd love to see the example you have as I am looking for one myself.

Tim

i havent resized the pics yet,but i should list some pics tonight

Is the M4 ww2 or Korean war? SKIP

I`M ALMOST SURE IT IS WW2...I KNOW THE SCABBARD IS M8(WHICH I AM PRETTY SURE IS WW2)IT HAS THE FLAMING BOMB...ARE THERE SURE TELL SIGNS TO DETERMINE WW2 FROM KOREA??

Not too difficult! WW2 has the narrow guard, 1953 version has a wide guard, both leather handled. Caution-Camillus made a repro of the 50's version in the 1990's. That can turn into another thread. SKIP

Not too difficult! WW2 has the narrow guard, 1953 version has a wide guard, both leather handled. Caution-Camillus made a repro of the 50's version in the 1990's. That can turn into another thread. SKIP

HOW NARROW IS THE NARROW GUARD

Dale-About a 1/2 inch. Checked my Utica and Imperial, didn't dig out my Camillus, but the WW2 are fairly standard. That's lower guard where stampings are. SKIP

Dale-About a 1/2 inch. Checked my Utica and Imperial, didn't dig out my Camillus, but the WW2 are fairly standard. That's lower guard where stampings are. SKIP

just posted seperate listing with pics...check it out..its in great shape...i was reallly happy to find it yesterday

I bought one of these machetes,too, back in the pre-net days, to put in my USMC- marked sheath. Too bad it's a fake, but like others have said, it's still a very well-made machete.

I bought one of these machetes,too, back in the pre-net days, to put in my USMC- marked sheath. Too bad it's a fake, but like others have said, it's still a very well-made machete.

i`ll definately keep it for camping