Vn Squadron - 80's Patches Question?

Legion

I picked these up at a local flea market...the majority (if not all) maybe post war but i had to have that 428th for my uncle who has been looking to replace his since it was lost in a fire....can anyone tell me where the 428th was made? Thanks

post-3204-1279513773.jpg

Ok i just found the 366th Tactical Fighter Wing used this patch served from '62-63 in France at Étain - Rouvres Air Base.

Like the 425th Tactical Fighter Training Squadron Patches, Specially the F-5 Technical Assistance Field Team - Khamis out of Saudi Arabia. they trained friendly nations to fly the F-5. I think all the RSAF (Royal Saudi Air Force) patches are associated with the 425th TFTS.

Mark

I think the 428 is Thai made, need a shot of the back to confirm. I has those long threads associated with Thai patches. Also, the 428 was deployed to Thailand in the late 60, then stationed there from 73-75. It could be Japanese, but my gut says Thai.

Randy

Bob this is great news, Mark thanks for the info i have been reading info on the TAFT pretty interesting....Randy all patches are velcro for flight suit wear..

Jason

• 6 years later...
firefighter

I think the 428 is Thai made, need a shot of the back to confirm. I has those long threads associated with Thai patches. Also, the 428 was deployed to Thailand in the late 60, then stationed there from 73-75. It could be Japanese, but my gut says Thai.

Randy

I agree, looks Thai.I like those 391st patches too. The middle patch in pic #3 looks to be associated with the Saudi F-5 program?

The separate 391st Fighter Squadron, Det. 2, 57th Fighter Weapons Wing and the Rapid Deployment Force patch may all be from Mountain Home AFB, Idaho, circa 1980-81. At that point the 366th Tactical Fighter Wing flew F-111As and was the Alpha unit of the Rapid Deployment Force. I saw that 391st patch while at Mountain Home but at some point the patch had a dark blue background. The Detachment 2 patch was for the cadre of a course accomplished at Mt. Home, so the graduate patch was also seen there.

The subdued RDF patch was worn on fatigues by maintenance and support personnel. Aircrews traditionally wore a colored emblem.

Interesting note about the 366th Fighter Wing. At this point the Air Force was converting older wing F-111As to the EF-111A and those aircraft were assigned to the 388th Electronic Combat Squadron. The squadron existed about a year and a half before the assets were transitioned to the 390th.

I would guess your flight suits are more pre-Desert Shield/Desert Storm era because of the RSAF insignia connection. The RDF flight suit with the RDF insignia is between 1980 and 1983 and was probably worn by an aircrew member who participated in a lot of forward area deployments.

My Desert Storm era flight suit has subdued insignia. I was mission essential aircrew in a MAC unit.

I saw that 391st patch while at Mountain Home but at some point the patch had a dark blue background.

Here's the one you're thinking about. They didn't use this version long and returned to the traditional background color.

post-8832-0-24135300-1488979319.jpg