• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 M1A1-1944

M1A1-1944
  • Members
    • Member ID: 4,155
  • 503 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 11:03 AM

I posted this in the New Finds/Acquisitions section if you would like to see all the pictures. When do you ever see one these, let alone completely intact. It is made of a balsa wood ring wraped in canvas that was painted navy grey. The canvas has really only two small holes and some of the tie off ropes have broken but only a few. The brass plate has the US Navy inspection stamping. The wood foor is solid but could use a treatment to preserve it, and the netting which suspends the wood floor is intact and strong. I'll find room to display it. I found a WWII pic of a couple stacked on a ship and read an excerpt from a story of a PT boat shipwreck survivor who spoke of "clinging to that balsa life raft". If anyone has a picture of one being used by shipwreck survivors I would really like to see it. Thanks for looking.

Ron

Attached Images

• IMG_0714.JPG

#2 The Meatcan

The Meatcan
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,208
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 11:17 AM

that is a very cool and unusual find. Nice! That will make a unique display for sure :thumbsup:
Terry

#3 KeithL

KeithL
  • Members
    • Member ID: 9,410
  • 101 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 04:02 PM

Very cool. Thanks for posting. I wouldn't mind seeing pics of how you displayed it too.

#4 chrissteino1

chrissteino1
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 134,987
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 06:42 PM

I posted this in the New Finds/Acquisitions section if you would like to see all the pictures. When do you ever see one these, let alone completely intact. It is made of a balsa wood ring wraped in canvas that was painted navy grey. The canvas has really only two small holes and some of the tie off ropes have broken but only a few. The brass plate has the US Navy inspection stamping. The wood foor is solid but could use a treatment to preserve it, and the netting which suspends the wood floor is intact and strong. I'll find room to display it. I found a WWII pic of a couple stacked on a ship and read an excerpt from a story of a PT boat shipwreck survivor who spoke of "clinging to that balsa life raft". If anyone has a picture of one being used by shipwreck survivors I would really like to see it. Thanks for looking.

Ron

#5 chrissteino1

chrissteino1
  • New Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 06:43 PM

Thanks, do you have any more on this? where can I see this one or another? I may make 1 or more.

#6 GITom1944

GITom1944
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,064
  • 812 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 07:18 PM

Here is a link with some info about Carley floats. http://blog.charlesm...en-than-it.html

The author apparently takes a dim view of them.

#7 chrissteino1

chrissteino1
  • New Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 01:35 AM

Thanks, Any around for a restoration? Any condition. 

#8 GITom1944

GITom1944
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,064
  • 812 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:00 PM

I have no specific leads for you, but you may want to call naval museums such as http://www.ptboats.o...-05-museum.html. Museums sometimes acquire items surplus to their needs that take up storage space. For instance, I've visited the PT Boat museum maybe half a dozen times over the past 25 years. This summer, I noticed they had a bunch of MK17 .50 cal mounts and SO type radar masts stacked beside PT-617 that I had never seen before. The worst that will happen is they'll ignore you.

#9 RustyCanteen

RustyCanteen

ADMINISTRATOR

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 24,355
  • 10,994 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:04 PM

They also came in a few different sizes and configurations. If you are trying to match one for the look of a specific ship, then you will need to be sure to find the right one.

RC

#10 chrissteino1

chrissteino1
  • New Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:50 PM

Here is a raft on the USS Slater

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

In Memory of Co-Founder GREG MILLS ROBINSON, a.k.a. "Marine-KaBar"
(February 17, 1949 - March 5, 2011)