RemovingPaint from70s/ 80 s pot

son of desertrat

son of desertrat
Maybe some course sawdust, or sand.

They used that after WWII. Its a little to fine. But thanks for the sugestion!

Keenan :thumbsup:

Robswashashore
Got the paint today. What works the same as cork but not cork?(dont havecork)

Keenan

Keenan, My husband and I were talking about corking a helmet last night. Would you take a cork and like grate it like a carrot?

If you don't have a cork, I hate to admit it, but I have lots of wine corks in a drawer. ;)

You want me to mail you some?

Jean

son of desertrat

Well I was planning on choppping it up. OR get some of the cork bored that was allready choped up and break that up. Why would you hate to admit it?(i dont see a problem to drink wine) Thanks for the offer but one of my friends parents drink wine and there going to saze one for me. But thanks for the offer!

Thanks

Keenan

Robswashashore
Ive put the first lair of paint on it. Just ordered the cork.

post-7302-1281211429.jpg

Looks great, Keenan! Can't wait to see how the corking part come!

• 5 weeks later...
son of desertrat

Ifianally got the cork!!!! Any suggestion on how to get the cork on there? I dont want to screw it up and have an ugly crapy looking helmet.

Thanks Guys!

Keenan

son of desertrat

Well folks im proud of the way it turned out!Since im going to be useing it for reenacting Im going to paint 36th ID on both sides then "age " the helmet...BUT so no one else buys it thinking its original , on the inside, im going to write(im white paint) this is a helmet used for reenacting NOT a WWII helmet.

Pics

post-7302-1284824929.jpg

post-7302-1284825038.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hey there, just picked up on this thread right now.

I think you did a pretty awesome job for a first try on these.

Some info for you from my own previous experiences;

As you can see on your own helmet, there are a lot of chunky pieces in the paint, a little bit to chunky when compared to original mint examples. (Schlueter manufactured helmets come closer in appearance)

I was annoyed by this, but adapted my technique to take care of this.

Grinding up the cork in a coffee grinder is not an option. Takes way too long & kill the coffee grinder. Cork is remarkably resilient!

I spray one layer, let it dry for about 30 mins. Then I spray in little patches, like some mentioned in earlier posts. This gives you time to apply the cork while the paint is sticky. I use a large piece of cork (bought at hobby shop for trains & stuff), and use a coarse file. I grate right above the area needing the cork, so no sprinkling. I apply a liberal all covering coat, a few milimeters thick. Once the whole helmet is treated, I let it sit for about 30 mins, so that the paint has dried just a little.

And then the most important step; I remove the loose cork, and then i rub the shell softly but thourough, this removes all the chunky bits, leaving a nice even coat of cork. Then I respray the helmet about 3 times, with 10 mins intervals.

Regards,

Stijn

son of desertrat
Hey there, just picked up on this thread right now.

I think you did a pretty awesome job for a first try on these.

Some info for you from my own previous experiences;

As you can see on your own helmet, there are a lot of chunky pieces in the paint, a little bit to chunky when compared to original mint examples. (Schlueter manufactured helmets come closer in appearance)

I was annoyed by this, but adapted my technique to take care of this.

Grinding up the cork in a coffee grinder is not an option. Takes way too long & kill the coffee grinder. Cork is remarkably resilient!

I spray one layer, let it dry for about 30 mins. Then I spray in little patches, like some mentioned in earlier posts. This gives you time to apply the cork while the paint is sticky. I use a large piece of cork (bought at hobby shop for trains & stuff), and use a coarse file. I grate right above the area needing the cork, so no sprinkling. I apply a liberal all covering coat, a few milimeters thick. Once the whole helmet is treated, I let it sit for about 30 mins, so that the paint has dried just a little.

And then the most important step; I remove the loose cork, and then i rub the shell softly but thourough, this removes all the chunky bits, leaving a nice even coat of cork. Then I respray the helmet about 3 times, with 10 mins intervals.

Regards,

Stijn

THanks! Ill try that! I never thought about that. I did relize that its kind of "chunky" looking afterwards. I ordered the cork pre choped from jmurry1941inc so i didnt have to chop it up my self. Ill do that then take more pics to to if it comes out better!.

Thanks aigna

Keenan

I've had a go at re-painting / re-corking an M-1 shell myself. It's definitely not as easy as it looks! I used the paint, powdered cork and method as supplied by a UK company. The process actually involves baking the painted/corked shell in an oven! Getting an all-over, even and authentic covering of cork is the most difficult thing to do, IMHO. In this instance, the OD paint is applied with a brush, not an aerosol can. The finely ground cork needs to be gradually mixed in with the paint and stirred up in a mixing bowl, like you were doing a cake-mix! This is then applied to the shell with a brush, but if you haven't got the mixture just right, it becomes glutinous and the cork tends to bunch up in those annoying chunky clumps described earlier. Trying to break them up and move them around with the brush isn't easy as the paint rapidly becomes tacky....and there's no second chance to get it right! Looking at your pics you seem to have done a good job. Well done! :thumbsup:

Sabrejet

• 9 months later...
son of desertrat

OK I got tired of looking at it since the corking wasnt very good. I decided to redo it. I ordered more cork and instead of useing spray paint i went to Lowes and found a EXACT match for it and got a quart. When the cork comes in ill mix it together and then brush it on. I used the knife in teh first picture to scrap off the old cork with alot of the paint and added the first layer of paint.

Knife

post-7302-1310329227.jpg

Helmet with wet paint(mostly) when it dry's its darkens a lot.

post-7302-1310329278.jpg

Keenan

son of desertrat

3 layers of paint later the cork/paint mixture went on. Now im waiting on it to dry so i can touch the corking up and them put a few layers of paint over it! I feel alot better at the look of this one.

Keenan