#1 Tonomachi

Tonomachi
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,389
  • 5,543 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 09:48 AM

July 28, 2007

Hello,

I picked up these two WWI medals a month or so ago at the flea market. The one with the red ribbon came out of an estate in Atlanta supposedly but I didn't get a name. It is hallmarked, "MEDALLIC ART CO. NEW YORK" with a control number of 7776. I understand that this medal was given to veterans of WWI who had a relative who served with the Confederacy during the Civil War. Is this correct? Is there a roster out there anywhere that shows who recieved medal number 7776? The other medal I'm guessing is a state medal but is it on the correct ribbon? How rare are these pieces and are they considered real military medals or civilian honorary pieces?

Thanks,

Dennis

Attached Images

• Medals.JPG
  • Medals__1_.JPG
  • Medals__2_.JPG

#2 Tonomachi

Tonomachi
  • Members
  • 5,543 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 09:54 AM

July 28, 2007

Hello,

I picked up these two WWI medals a month or so ago at the flea market. The one with the red ribbon came out of an estate in Atlanta supposedly but I didn't get a name. It is hallmarked, "MEDALLIC ART CO. NEW YORK" with a control number of 7776. I understand that this medal was given to veterans of WWI who had a relative who served with the Confederacy during the Civil War. Is this correct? Is there a roster out there anywhere that shows who recieved medal number 7776? The other medal I'm guessing is a state medal but is it on the correct ribbon? How rare are these pieces and are they considered real military medals or civilian honorary pieces?

Thanks,

Dennis

More close up photos of these medals

Attached Images

• Medals_1__2_.JPG
  • Medals_1.JPG
  • Medals_1__1_.JPG

#3 Jason G

Jason G
  • Members
    • Member ID: 271
  • 3,330 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 10:32 AM

The medal on the left is a Sons of Confederate Veterans WWI service medal. Looks like the other one is a Pa WWI service medal.

Both are 'commemorative' in nature, but the Pa medal could have been worn. Not sure on the regs of wear for the SCV medal, but likely not.

The number should be traceable through the Sons of Confederate Veterans, check out their website, they might be able to help.

#4 Tonomachi

Tonomachi
  • Members
  • 5,543 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 10:50 AM

The medal on the left is a Sons of Confederate Veterans WWI service medal. Looks like the other one is a Pa WWI service medal.

Both are 'commemorative' in nature, but the Pa medal could have been worn. Not sure on the regs of wear for the SCV medal, but likely not.

The number should be traceable through the Sons of Confederate Veterans, check out their website, they might be able to help.

Thanks for the information.

Dennis

#5 JBFloyd

JBFloyd
  • Members
    • Member ID: 293
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 11:06 AM

The first was awarded by the United Daughters of the Confederacy, not the SCV. The published rolls run only up to about 3450 but, as Jason notes, the UDC indiactes that they will give (i.e., sell) info through their web site.

The Pennsylvania WWI Service Medal was awarded to Pennsylavnia veterans for WWI service. It is properly on a blue ribbon with a wide center stripe of the double rainbow of the WWI VIctory Medal ribbon. The "Federal Service" obverse went to those who did not serve with the National Guard.

#6 Brig

Brig

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 22
  • 21,954 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 08:26 AM

proper ribbon for the WWI PA Commemorative...though the medal was reattached backwards

Attached Images

• 102_0067.JPG

#7 Tonomachi

Tonomachi
  • Members
  • 5,543 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 02:24 PM

proper ribbon for the WWI PA Commemorative...though the medal was reattached backwards

Juky 29, 2007

Thank you for your help and scan.

Dennis

#8 USMCR79

USMCR79
  • Members
    • Member ID: 248
  • 2,759 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 05:32 PM

The UDC should be able to look up information on the recepient based upon the medal #...I think the fee is $20.00

Bill

#9 Mark M

Mark M
  • Members
    • Member ID: 569
  • 2,471 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 04:50 AM

Forum members:

You are in the MEDALS & DECORATIONS "Reference Section". This area is where posts from the general Medals & Decorations "discussion section" (http://www.usmilitar.....?showforum=83) are moved for permanent retention and education about the history of the various U.S. medals and military decorations.

As time moves forward, some of these posts may have additional information added to them by the moderators of this section. We ask for your input as well, especially in the correction of any erroneous information that may have inadvertently be posted..

We encourage further comments about this post and its content. In order to do so, you will need to start a new post in the general Medals & Decorations "discussion section" (here: http://www.usmilitar.....?showforum=83). And, as needed, we will be pleased to move any new and / or valued information that is derived from your post (and subsequent comments) into this reference area as its own standing post.

Please be advised: posting and / or editing is restricted on this post to moderator's and forum staff.

Sincerely,
Chris / ADMIN

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users