P-51 Mustangs Collide at Oshkosh Airshow, One Dead

Charlie Flick

This is terrible.

Yes, hard to believe but there was too shot separation between the aircraft. According to the Polish aviation law 50m (164ft) in every direction is required, I think in the American law must be similarly.

Was this completely destroyed P-51 the only one airworthy older P-51B or C?

For the pilot [']

• 1 month later...
Yes, hard to believe but there was too shot separation between the aircraft. According to the Polish aviation law 50m (164ft) in every direction is required, I think in the American law must be similarly.

Was this completely destroyed P-51 the only one airworthy older P-51B or C?

For the pilot [']

These old warbirds are fun to watch flying but, as I've suggested before in other forums, when one of these historical treasures go in, that's one less available for posterity....thete won't be any more original ones. Perhaps they are too valuable from a historical standpoint to fly them.

I think these old original birds should be kept in museums. If these guys want to race around in Mustangs, Warhawks, Lightnings, FW-190s, Bf-109s, Spitfires, in air shows and the like, it would be nice if there was some sort of industry to make replicas to fly. I mean, how many of you would wear an original Easy/506th D-Day worn para uniform out to play paintball in the mud.

Just my thoughts......

IMPERIAL QUEST

I can agree with Bill's points, even though it hurts to think of not hearing or seeing them fly...

I have very mixed feelings on the topic of "should they be grounded". These disasters involving these old birds are occuring with ever-increasing frequency it seems. Not only has a life been lost, but a piece of history as well. I think maybe the pilots get a little too confident in the abilities of themselves, and in the aging relics they fly. God knows it sends chills down my spine when I hear the roar of a B-17, or any other war bird - but at what cost? crying.gif