Show your Rarest or Favorite Uniforms!

CNY Militaria

USMC_COLLECTOR

Mine. Nothing too special but the best part of my collection right now. A brown dom radioman float coat dated 70. Mine is in storage hence the photo off the interweb. But looks the exact same as mine so let's roll with it. I was given it randomly by a neighbor who is a collector.

image.png

• 2 weeks later...

My all-time forever favorite. The uniform of my great-grandfather T/Sgt Walter Bonnet. Served in the 83rd Infantry Division. Awarded the Silver Star during the battle for St.Malo and would recive 2 Purple Hearts, one for being shot in Normandy and another for shrapnel wounds in the Hürtgen Forrest 

Screenshot_20220828-160744_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210907-230728_Gallery.jpg

20211018_150042.jpg

eaglerunner88
1 hour ago, Wally6 said:

My all-time forever favorite. The uniform of my great-grandfather T/Sgt Walter Bonnet. Served in the 83rd Infantry Division. Awarded the Silver Star during the battle for St.Malo and would recive 2 Purple Hearts, one for being shot in Normandy and another for shrapnel wounds in the Hürtgen Forrest 

Screenshot_20220828-160744_Gallery.jpg

Incredible and wonderfully displayed! Is all the hardware original to the jacket?

11 minutes ago, eaglerunner88 said:

Incredible and wonderfully displayed! Is all the hardware original to the jacket?

Thank you! Everything on the uniform is exactly how he left it. Had been hanging in the closet from 1972-2020 Until I put it on display

My rarest uniform(s) is a pair of khaki shirts that were found together per the seller and believed to have belonged to the same person.  One of the shirts has a SACO patch sewn to the left shoulder while the other does not have any insignia but has an inside stencil of R. D. Thompson.  On the SACO website I found an Ensign Richard D. Thompson who served with SACO in Kunming, China from August 1945 through September 1945.   I then found what I believe to be the same Richard D. Thompson on Find-A-Grave.  There is an obituary that does not mention SACO but it does identify him as being in the Navy during WW2, learning Mandarin Chinese at Columbia University and a graduate of the Scouts & Raiders School where many of their graduates joined SACO near the end of the war.    

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/45257103/richard-d-thompson

Son of T.J. & Mabel Thompson. He had two brothers, John, Lincoln, NE and Theos, Winchester, MA, both of whom predeceased him. He graduated from Jackson High (now Lincoln Northeast) in 1941. While in high school, he earned eight varsity letters in football, basketball, track and baseball. He enrolled in the University of Nebraska in 1942, and was a quarterback on the football team. He was a member of Phi Delta Theta fraternity. In July of 1943, he enlisted in the United States Navy. He was assigned to the V-12 Officer Candidate School at Doane College in Crete, NE, where he also played quarterback for the Doane football team. After graduating from the V-12 program, he volunteered for a newly-formed Navy commando unit know as the "Scouts and Raiders". He was sent to Columbia University in New York City where he was taught the Mandarin dialect of the Chinese language. While at Columbia, he was awarded the Admiral's Sword as the outstanding Midshipman for his class. He was then sent to Fort Pierce, FL where he received training in underwater demolition, weapons and commando tactics. Following his training in Florida, he was shipped to the China, Burma, India theater where "S&R" units conducted reconnaissance, trained the Nationalist Chinese in guerilla tactics, conducted sabotage and demolished bridges, cut railroad lines and disrupted river traffic. To accomplish their mission, S&R units, which usually consisted of eight person teams, spent weeks at a time in the remote rain forest jungles of the region. Following his deployment to China and after VJ Day, he was sent to Marquette University where he finished his enlistment as its athletic officer and taught judo. He was honorably discharged in June of 1946 with the rank of Lieutenant, jg. He served eight years in the Naval Reserves. Upon his discharge, he returned to the University of Nebraska and resumed his football career as a quarterback. He played for two additional seasons in 1946 and 1947. He was a team captain and was president of the "N" Club. He graduated with dual majors in math and chemistry. On December 18, 1948, he married Margaret (Wylene) Walker originally of Corvalis, Oregon. They were married for 44 years. Wylene predeceased him in 1992. Following graduation from the University of Nebraska, he took a job teaching science and math at Scottsbluff High School where he also coached basketball. His teams had a two-year record of 35-6 and appeared in the 1950 Class A state championship game where they were defeated by his alma mater, Lincoln Northeast. In 1951, he moved to North Platte where he operated a Russell's Sporting Goods Store for several years. He then went to work as a salesman for Balfour and Taylor Publishing, companies for whom he worked until his retirement. He was also engaged in ranching. He officiated high school football for 43 years and refereed the first Shrine All-Star game in 1959. He officiated football in the Big Eight for six years. He was a starter for the girls state track meet and then the combined girls and boys state track meet for 17 years. In 2001, he was inducted into the Nebraska High School Sports Hall of Fame. He was an avid hunter and fisherman. He was a longtime member and officer of the North Platte Lions Club. He appeared in a number of Community Playhouse musicals and plays. Richard was elected to and served on the Mid Plains Community College board for several terms. He was active in the Episcopal Church, Ducks Unlimited and delivered "Meals on Wheels". He helped organize the Buffalo Bill/NebraskaLand Days Parade for many years. He is survived by three sons Bill (Vicki), Kimball, SD, Tim (Mary), North Platte, NE, and Jack, Lincoln, NE; daughter, Susan Budler (Tom) predeceased him in 1984. There are seven grandchildren Dan, Mapleton, IA, Sally Van Houten (Tyler) Manson, IA, Doug, Tom and Kate Kimball, SD, Will and Kelly, North Platte, NE.

45257103_135932842309 (1).jpg

SACO Uniform5.bmp 556874854_SACOuniform.bmp 1856759827_SACOuniform1.bmp 395366063_SACOuniform3.bmp

The pictures didn't load properly and the uniforms are in storage somewhere so these are screen shots of the photos which are of poor quality.

DSCF2972.JPG

DSCF2973.JPG

DSCF2974.JPG

DSCF2975.JPG

This is a great thread and for me it is hard to come up with one that can compare to others but here is a unique named WWI jacket identified to a young officer from a prominent Philadelphia family who most likely could have avoided service in the Great War. However, he chose to serve his nation and other nations seeking to throwback the "Huns Attack" on France. 

738558422_LTHenryHHustonUniform.jpg.b2a718092f6f5481f00f8216877f5a76.jpg

1411520807_LTHenryHHustonUniformLabel.jpg.61385c5057bbb100bbec083de2e3cbb9.jpg

Here is some of the information I found researching this man's name:

Henry Howard Houston II WWI was killed in action in August 1918. Born April 5, 1895, in Chestnut Hill, Pennsylvania, the son of Samuel F. and Edith Corlies Houston. Educated Chestnut Hill Academy and University of Pennsylvania, Class of 1916. Battery "C," State Guard. Mexican Border, 1916. Joined American Field Service, January 8, 1917 attached Section Twelve. French Officers' Automobile School, Meaux. Chef Adjoint, Transport Section 133 to July 30, 1917. Croix de Guerre, Returned to America. Commissioned Second Lieutenant, Aide, Commanding General's Staff, 53d Artillery Brigade. Trained Fort Sill, Oklahoma, as flying observer. First Lieutenant, U. S. Field Artillery, 28th Division. Killed by shell, August 18, 1918, near Arcis-le-Ponsart, Marne. Buried Suresnes, Seine.

359208077_1stLtHenryHowardHustonIIKIAWW1.jpg.f92a24a119f2d8f59643b33a42feaa72.jpg

ONE of the truest things which can be said of Henry Houston is that no matter where his duty lay he gave himself always with whole heartedness, self-effacement and loyalty. A member of Section Twelve from its beginning, he rendered faithful and courageous service on -the Verdun front during the winter and spring of 1917, for which he was decorated with the Croix de Guerre by the 132nd Division of French Infantry on April 15th of that year. Early in May he was selected as one of the first group of fifteen men, mostly heads of sections, to be sent to the French Officers' Training School at Meaux. Upon completion of this course, at a time when too many volunteers were considering where they preferred to serve rather than where their services were needed, he placed himself unconditionally at the disposal of the Field Service Headquarters to be assigned as they saw fit, and as head of a camion section, T. M. U. 133, he proved himself a wise and devoted officer.

1950753034_HenryH.Houston2dT.M.U.133KIAPicture.jpg.06703134184d83aab741b2d476a9bdcb.jpg

Continued:

In August, 1917, he resigned his command under the Field Service and returned to America to accept a commission as aide on the staff of General William G. Price, Jr., commanding the 53rd Artillery Brigade. It was with this brigade that he had served on the Mexican border, immediately after graduating from the University of Pennsylvania, during the summer and fall of 1916, in the First Pennsylvania Field Artillery (107th U. S. F. A.), and of which he had written while in the camion service: "I still have hankerings toward the artillery,--- first loves are strongest, you know."

2094602382_USMFAGOCardOfficerNGHenryHowardHouston.jpg.66204e17def2a9da4161b3de661e8db5.jpg

He took up the new task with a determination to use to the utmost his rare advantage of previous military service with the brigade and six months' experience with the armies at the front. How well he succeeded is evidenced by the following quotation from a letter written by General Price: "Rejoining his old brigade, he brought with him a deep knowledge of conditions of service in France, which was of inestimable value to the brigade in its preparations for service there. To me personally he was of great comfort and assistance; his services during the training period, lecturing on subjects which came under his observation prior to the United States' entry into war, and during his aerial training at Fort Sill, Oklahoma, from which he graduated as a flying observer, were of great value."

131565750_USMF28thDivAEFFTSill1-23-18HoustonHenryH.2DLtN.G.HQ53rdFABdeAeroplaneObservationTraining.jpg.19d13d5e9c2d96fd5aa5781fa3d4f744.jpg

During the long, anxious months of training, both in America and France, the example of his never failing cheerfulness and devotion to duty helped many a fellow officer or enlisted man over the pitfalls and discouragements inevitable in the building up of a successful fighting unit, and thus affected in no small degree the morale of the entire brigade. The fact that his name was chosen for the American Legion Post at Germantown, Pennsylvania, the second largest post in the state, is a proof of the esteem in which his comrades held him. He was killed on August 18th, 1918, near Arcis le Ponsart, having volunteered to go to a position near the lines to give instructions regarding the proper liaison between the air forces and batteries.

695765352_USMFTempGraveHouston.jpg.1e2429da855c553d9ce27d23ef7da40b.jpg

Of his death General Price writes: "As his commanding officer I can not find words to express the sense of loss we all felt, the realization by all of his sterling worth, his value as an officer and his promised value as a citizen. Thoughtful, unselfish, kind and brave, he died as I believe he would, could he have chosen, facing the enemy in battle, fearless and with a sublime confidence in the future life which his associates well knew he had.

672422805_HenryHowardHoustonIIFellAugust181918nearArcislePonsartAge23USMF.jpeg.f00e4e64ab2b45d5432ea51c0e7be646.jpeg

"Thus he died, a Christian gentleman, a soldier who loved humanity, his country, and his God."

498872708_USMFFirstLieutenantHenryHowardHoustonIIFinalRestingPlaceSuresnesAmericanCemeteryandMemorial.jpg.8025a3ba6893a83908cf1879e7ef59a7.jpg

First Lieutenant Henry Howard Houston II Final Resting Place

Suresnes American Cemetery and Memorial

Suresnes, Department des Hauts-de-Seine, Île-de-France, France

• 2 weeks later...
JerryTheGerman

Here’s my favorite uniform in my collection, it’s not a rare MOH or Silver Star recipient but it is what I think is a great uniform of a marine who saw combat in many famous campaigns and played his part in winning them. This is the jacket of Private Teddy R Maciak who was in Company “F”, 2nd battalion, 6th Regiment, 2nd Marine Division and fought through the defense of Bairiki Island and a few months later fought on the island of Saipan where he was sadly WIA on June 27th 1944 but was sent back stateside where he was soon after honorably discharged. This jacket exhibits Mr. Maciak’s honorable discharge white diamond that was interestingly put on a piece of wool cloth before being sewed on the uniform, on the left sleeve there is a very rare early “black 2” second marine division patch and his PVT rank which was weirdly not put on the right side sleeve. Also on his left shoulder is a very nice Fourragere with darkened brass tip. Another cool thing about the jacket is when I was looking through the pockets I found some tobacco still in one of them.

06895C2A-2F38-408E-9556-0616E0B87983.jpeg

D116A5A4-4682-4A4A-8D79-54F39E061FFB.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
General Apathy
On 2/28/2022 at 12:06 AM, Brian Dentino said:

Wow, now that is something you don't see everyday!  What a jacket and it is in AMAZING condition.  Rare to extinct that you find another one in the wild that is there, let alone in this condition.  Thanks for showing us a real interesting and not often seen example.  I have only heard about these but have never seen one before.

Hi Brian,

well it sounds like you like the first model tankers jacket with patch pockets this is mine taken June 2000 anniversary week,  my example came complete with its original 2nd armoured wooly patch on the chest as worn early WWII.

( the sleeve cuffs are vintage period replacements using army woollen socks )

fullsizeoutput_1d4c5.jpeg.7b5a495bae0f03a2189a6b8a71c405f2.jpeg

regards lewis.

• 1 month later...

Mine is the Ike jacket worn by my grandfather Corporal Albert P Mitchell when he served in the Philippines in August 1945 to September 1947with the US AAC. Finally got to take a picture of it today years after we loaned it to a local military museum me and my dad helped build. My grandfather also had pictures of his time in the Philippines but most of them had topless native girls in them. LOL

IMG_2265.JPG

IMG_2266.JPG

IMG_2267.JPG

IMG_2268.JPG

IMG_2269.JPG

Throwing this uniform into this tread. Not sure if its rare, but I don't see 101st Training Division uniforms often and so far its my favorite. 

20230125_111501.jpg.b1fcfe96543e4624f429fb63b90dc2e7.jpg.8673d50338c6d2df01759853826dc70b.jpg

20230125_112041.jpg.9c89f2a8652d033ba90b2432dfbd5543.jpg.de096b479fcd7adf10a77aec36b5bc45.jpg

• 2 months later...
ww2guymandude

Here are a couple of mine, not necessarily the rarest out there, but definitely among some of my favorites. 

1. Ike jacket ID’d to PFC Johnnie W. Holland Co K 26th IR. Captured as a POW for several months during the Battle of the Bulge and escaped from captivity in March, 1945. The CIB is just a stunner in my opinion and is the first customized 1st ID CIB I’ve seen affixed to a uniform. 

MagicEraser_230820_152222.jpeg.4dc3a9ef07fda94d56cc5ab51563757d.jpeg

2. Four pocket jacket ID’d to SSGT John Ybarbo, Co K 142nd IR. He was awarded two Purple Hearts, one during Anzio and the second in August, 1944. He was also the recipient of three Silver Star Medals, all of which I was able to get full citations for. After the war he was killed by his former spouse in 1948 after a domestic dispute had occurred. The jacket features some incredible sewn ribbons and a German made bullion CIB.

IMG_9254.jpeg.e9e028b9ccc270b70f0f5fb2505c55ff.jpeg

3. T/5 Raphael J. McDermott, Co B 745th Tank Battalion. He saw action with all of the 745th’s campaigns, but didn’t wear the arrowhead for Normandy for some reason. This jacket came with some original paperwork and photos of him as well. Similar to the 26th IR ike earlier, this one has some unique miniature 1st ID divisional DUIs on the lapels. I believe they are the same make as the miniature DUI on the 26th ike as well. 

F598C0BB-195C-423E-AF49-481665EF3EE1.jpeg.12ed911e91ef2bf93ef3d7122b1b279f.jpeg

I have 4 favorite uniforms in my collection. All 4 uniforms were worn by my Grandfather (WWI), my father (WWII, Korea and Vietnam, and mine. The OS cap on the WWI uniform and the SF beret on my Greens for display only.  The Sam Brown belt on the WWI uniform belonged to the Officer my grandfather Chauffeured during the war. My father was named after the Officer.

Driscoll men uniforms.JPG

Col Driscoll Collage.jpg

VBD 3 - 17.jpg

Sgt VBD Collage.jpg

Sgt VBD 1 - 5.jpg

Sgt VBD 3 - 7.jpg

Pvt Raymond Driscoll WW1 Uniform - 3.JPG

Pvt Raymond Driscoll WW1 Uniform - 4.JPG

• 3 months later...
Loulounug

Hello

For my side it's Major-General FINLEY chocolate tunic

Commander of the 89 th Infantry Division during 1943-1945 

A nice touch, considering that he was a US General fluent in French

photo279.jpg.1142bc3c8cddeb0e5cdc2b3553857bd0.jpg

Full pictures :

https://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/394282-grouping-of-m-g-thomas-dewees-finley-commanding-officer-89th-id-ww2/

(Thanks again CNY 👍)

Louis.

Certainly not rare, but an untouched Ike Uniform from the family with some paperwork still the coat pocket. He served in the 16th Field Artillery Battalion, Battery C 9th Armored Division, 1st Army, in Germany. It features (2) Distinctive Unit Insignias on the collars were manufactured in Germany by Christian Lauer, Nurnberg, with screw backs, and the one on the cap is a pin back also German made by Heidelberger Fahnenfabrik. The Presidential Unit Citation is for the REMAGEN BRIDGEHEAD (16th Armored Field Artillery Battalion cited; Wd GO 72, 1945). The Uniform belonged to T/5 Lloyd Duane "L. D." HEINBAUGH who was born on 25 April 1926 in Belle Fourche, Butte Co., South Dakota. 

Thanks,

James

ike....jpg.10ea54424e2c1c6f291a392097fd7745.jpgikesh.jpg.c007e9ca3258e7488e4165bbbfa254b2.jpgpaperrrrrr.jpg.a94978ef5bb01ebda6f56a5f63fd53a5.jpgpappperr.jpg.98eb68680c55f365bc212b6496967055.jpg