Marine Corp Aviation records

Guest Lorne

Guest Lorne

Greetings to the group,

I have the personnel record for a Marine Corp aviator and hope that someone can help me to to find a source to interpret some of the numbered comments. For example:

"October 1925: 1 qualified P.E. and E.R. 1 to 7 and 14 to 31 Div. Commander. 8 to 13 on detached duty at Mitchell Field Long Island. N.Y. via air in connection with Pulitzer Races."

"November 1925: 1 to 10 and 16 to 30 Div. Commander. 11 on temporary detached duty at Hampton Roads, via air in conection with football game. 12 to 15 on temporary detached duty via air at Collumbia, S.C. making survey for new landing field at Charleston, S.C."

"August 1932: 1 to 8 and 17 to 31 CO VO 9*M and Bowen Field. 9 to 16 on flight transporting Senator Robinson from Port au Prince to Santo Domin. Porto Rico, Virgin Islands and return."

Any help would be appreciated.

Best regards to the group,

Lorne Bohn

Greetings to the group,

I have the personnel record for a Marine Corp aviator and hope that someone can help me to to find a source to interpret some of the numbered comments. For example:

"October 1925: 1 qualified P.E. and E.R. 1 to 7 and 14 to 31 Div. Commander. 8 to 13 on detached duty at Mitchell Field Long Island. N.Y. via air in connection with Pulitzer Races."

"November 1925: 1 to 10 and 16 to 30 Div. Commander. 11 on temporary detached duty at Hampton Roads, via air in conection with football game. 12 to 15 on temporary detached duty via air at Collumbia, S.C. making survey for new landing field at Charleston, S.C."

"August 1932: 1 to 8 and 17 to 31 CO VO 9*M and Bowen Field. 9 to 16 on flight transporting Senator Robinson from Port au Prince to Santo Domin. Porto Rico, Virgin Islands and return."

Any help would be appreciated.

Best regards to the group,

Lorne Bohn

Howdy.......I agree ---a little confusing at first. Unfamiliar acronyms etc.These extracts are from this Marines Chronological Record of Service. The numbers following the month are day/dates when he was doing the things noted. In August 1932 for example, from the 1st to the 8th and then from the 17th to the 31st he was the C.O. commanding officer of his squadron, VO-9M. The Navy and Marine Corps designate their aircraft by what they do. The "V" means heavier-than-air, i.e. fixed wing aircraft, "O" is for observation; "9" is the squadron number; "M" is for for Marine.

From the 9th to the 16th he was away from his home station and relinquished command to his deputy. He flew a senator on a tour to Haiti, Dominica, Porto Rico, the Virgin Islands and return, to Bowen Field.

Read up from the dates of entry and you will find the units he was serving in. and when he joined it. BTW What was the name of this aviator?

Hope this helps.

Regards.....Bob