• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ken90-94

ken90-94
  • Members
    • Member ID: 7,907
  • 75 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 05:34 PM

i was looking at a chinese type 53 rifle. the guy said he had brought it back from vietnam my question is what does the paper work look like and what would he have to prove he brought the rifle back from vietnam. i know this is a us militaria forum so only interested in the paper work for bring back weapons.

#2 pmanton

pmanton
  • Members
    • Member ID: 8,488
  • 280 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 06:46 AM

i was looking at a chinese type 53 rifle. the guy said he had brought it back from vietnam my question is what does the paper work look like and what would he have to prove he brought the rifle back from vietnam. i know this is a us militaria forum so only interested in the paper work for bring back weapons.

in my unit (101st Abn Div 1968) it was just a simple mimographed (sp ?) form with your personal information, the description of the war relic, and the signature of the unit commander.

Cheers:

Paul
Salome, AZ

#3 ken90-94

ken90-94
  • Members
    • Member ID: 7,907
  • 75 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 06:21 AM

thank you, i knew there was some paper work other then it not having inport marks for it to be a true bring back rifle. finding a rifle that was in vietnam seems hard to do.

#4 doyler

doyler
  • Members
    • Member ID: 342
  • 33,455 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 07:08 AM

Ken
Paper work is often hard to find with a captured/Viet Nam bring back.Often it is lost or thrown away.
There is also a couple indicators on a few rifles I have seen (and own) that set them out as bring backs.Look at the finnish.A couple of the rifles I have are devoid of any varnish on the stock.Some times trophy tags were made and placed on the stock.I have a Mas36 with tag from the 4th Inf.THere are also a couple of field repairs to the hand guard where it split.The owner had hand cut a couple wood wedges and spliced the handguard together with the wedges.Also one SKS with a small aluminium tag and info on it and another that the wood is so soft from moisture you can scrape it away with your finger nail.If this SKS could talk Im sure it would say volumes.When you pick it up and grasp the forearm your hand and fingers naturally curl into adepression in the wood from it being carried.

I have a Nagant sniper with papers and a Type 53 carbine with papers.THe vet had the papers on the sniper but had them stored in a filing cabinet and after about 10 years and a couple of letters (and a $10 bill I included )He found the paper and sent it to me.He said he usually would run across it at tax time and would send it along when he found it.The Type 53 has papers from the 101st and it shows some battle damage but at some point I believe the vet filled the shrapnel holes with wood filler and then varnished it after the fact.The serial number matches the number on the form so it is the same rifle just spruced up.

RD

#5 robinb

robinb

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 61
  • 5,134 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 08:34 AM

Here's a French CR-39 rifle that was brought back in 1970 by a USMC vet. The form is DD603.
MVC_064S.JPG
MVC_065S.JPG
MVC_066S.JPG

#6 robinb

robinb

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 61
  • 5,134 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 08:34 AM

MVC_067S.JPG

#7 DiGilio

DiGilio
  • Members
    • Member ID: 5,102
  • 940 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 02:55 PM

The forms DD 603 and DD 603-1 are for war trophy registration and are probably most common to see with papered bring backs. But there was also other paperwork related to bringing a rifle back into the US like temorary export licenses, which the format will differ between units, that will have the serial numbers and rifle info on them and that were often kept with the DD 603 forms. Sometimes papers like that is all thats left if the DD 603 forms and any others were lost or thrown away.

A good condition rifle can still be a bringback. China was regularly sending shipments of new rifles to North Vietnam. And lots of those rifles were shipped unused to the south or given new to units just about to go south by North Vietnam. If a US soldier picked up one of those rifles fresh off the Ho-Chi-Minh trail and stored it correctly since the war, it could look like a lightly used gun today.

#8 ithaca37

ithaca37
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,416
  • 601 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 07:48 PM

I have a Chicom Type 53 rifle with photocopies of the bringback papers. Included are the DD-603 and DD-603-1 forms, the Vietnamese Temporary Export License, and the US Temporary Export License.

The 603 and 603-1 forms were filled out by the man that captured the rifle as I recognize his handwriting (a friend) and signed by the appropriate officer. The others look to me like they were typed in a common format on a blank page and signed.

This officer that captured the rifle was assigned to the 320 Field Artillery, 101 Airborne Division in 1969.

#9 AK101

AK101
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,719
  • 1,341 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 08:13 PM

I was lucky enough to get to play with quite a few bringbacks earlier in the week, lotsa jungle made stuff as well. Unfortunately I did not have my good camera, and my Droid takes so-so pics..

I am definately going back with a good camera.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users