NS Meyer bombardier modern restrike

CNY Militaria

CNY Militaria

I just bought these on ebay as reproductions (it was advertised as such). I needed a cheap pair that looks real for a certain display, and just wanted to confirm that these are NOT original. Any opinions are welcome!

Justin

wings.jpg

wings1.jpg

They look like modern production by N.S. Meyer from their original dies. Can't tell if it has the Meyer mark but I can see the sterling incised stamp. If the pin opens to 180 degrees.....as in flat that's the first sign of a repop. The vintage Meyer wings had a lock stop on the pin which holds it at a 45 degree angle.

Regards......Bob

CNY Militaria

Thanks, It will work fine in a display case with a bombardier's grouping I have, and the price was right.

Justin

Justin,

I am in agreement with everyone here, however - I must chastise you in the most repectable way possible. Never, ever buy repro's! They won't ever go up in value, and besides, a nice set of original Bd'r wings would have been great to augment a grouping. Repro's - well, their repro's, what can I say? lol....

Chris

CNY Militaria

I agree, but I didn't want to spend an arm and leg getting an original pair just to stick into a display case. I am not at all a fan of repros, and this is the first time I sought one out, but the price was right, and to the average looker, they will never know.

CNY Militaria

By the way, what is the tell-tale indicator on this set that makes it known as a repro? Is it the back? Any details for future reference are greatly appreciated!

Justin,

What are they made of? They look to have a gold-like tint to them. My suspicion is that they are not completely silver. This, to me, would be indicator.

Secondly, there is no evidence of age or wear. I am sure that there are mint wings out there, but even the minty ones have some hint of age.

I am in no way an expert on wings. I know just enough to get me by. But this is what I spot off the bat.

Chris

I also wanted to point out the artificial age that is seen on these wings, and also can be found on re-strike medals, and the like. The black in the recesses are a tell tale sign.

Chris

Here are a pair I bought at an estate sale about a year ago. I was a little unsure about them. Pin only opens half way. Opinions??

post-341-1185583541.jpg

post-341-1185583590.jpg

Dave,

These look good , hard to tell from just pictures of course, but the pin looks correct, and the centered raised hallmark is the one I look for. Of course Meyer used these dies for a while, but the 1950s and beyond versions had first the 9M then the 22M hallmarks added. I would buy these.....

Paul