7th Armored POW grouping

captaxe

Then-Lieutenant (later Captain) Arthur G. Leckie of Trenton, NJ was a member of the 7th Armored Division’s 38th Armored Infantry. While attacking Seligny, France on 20 September 1944, Leckie and his squad were overrun and captured by elements of the 69th SS Panzer Regiment. Marched to Limburg, Germany where he arrived on 29 September, Leckie was loaded onto a freight car 20 days later, landing, after an 11 day ride, at Oflag 64 near Schubin, Poland. This prison was almost exclusively occupied by US Army officers.

I recently picked up (thanks Scott Kraska!) Leckie’s uniform coat, which shows valor awards of the Silver and Bronze Star along with a Purple Heart with OLC. No medals were present with the grouping, however there were some patches, a photo, various newspaper clippings, maps and some POW ephemera. Any assistance in determining what Leckie’s Silver & Bronze stars were awarded for would be appreciated.

post-701-1276196295.jpg

Here is Leckie, wearing sergeants stripes in an early (or pre) war photo. He was originally a part of the 176th Infantry regiment, stationed at Fort AP Hill, Va, where this picture was likely taken

post-701-1276196844.jpg

One of Leckie’s fellow inmates in Oflag 64 was Lt. Col. John Waters, famous as Patton’s son-in-law and the object of the well known Task Force Baum incident. He is listed on the Christmas program

post-701-1276196927.jpg

Beast-

Along with the group came a book owned by Leckie entitled "Roads to Liberation from Oflag 64" I got most of the history on him from the book. To answer your question, he escaped by hiding about a week out from camp and linked up with the Russians, so he never made it to Hammelburg.

Lucky 7th Armored

Just saw this now!! WOW!! Where did you find this beautiful grouping?! If you EVER decide you want to sell it, let me know first! I'm assuming your still researching the man?

Haydn

Remarkable grouping, love the CIB. Remember seeing that on Baystate, a very nice tunic indeed. Glad a forum member got this one.

Thanks guys-- yes; research still in process, as I just got it (as gtpcamaroz notes) from Scott Kraska at Baystate last week.

• 2 years later...

please send me a PM there is more info to find

Then-Lieutenant (later Captain) Arthur G. Leckie of Trenton, NJ was a member of the 7th Armored Division’s 38th Armored Infantry. While attacking Seligny, France on 20 September 1944, Leckie and his squad were overrun and captured by elements of the 69th SS Panzer Regiment. Marched to Limburg, Germany where he arrived on 29 September, Leckie was loaded onto a freight car 20 days later, landing, after an 11 day ride, at Oflag 64 near Schubin, Poland. This prison was almost exclusively occupied by US Army officers.

I recently picked up (thanks Scott Kraska!) Leckie’s uniform coat, which shows valor awards of the Silver and Bronze Star along with a Purple Heart with OLC. No medals were present with the grouping, however there were some patches, a photo, various newspaper clippings, maps and some POW ephemera. Any assistance in determining what Leckie’s Silver & Bronze stars were awarded for would be appreciated.

post-701-1276196295.jpg

BigJohn#3RD

Very nice group that you have. Are you going to request his records from St Louis? I would think it will have some interesting information.

Regards,

John

• 4 years later...
shinglehouse

Hi captaxe,

My uncle was captured with the LT. Unfortunately my Uncle died in the camp. Can you share the history book and other information that you've gathered? I really don't know much of anything about his story.

My uncle, Fred Shilling, is listed just a few names above the LT on the Morning Report.

Thank you so much for your help.

Mikel Shilli

post-134930-0-48361500-1489874671.jpg