Disney VF-12 Squadron Patch

bobgee

Fighting 12 (VF-12) was the first Navy unit to receive the new Chance-Vought F4U Corsair in Oct 1942. They flew it, liked it but deemed it unsatisfactory for carrier operations. They gave their "Corsairs" to the Marines and went to war in F4F "Hellcats". The Marines used the "Whispering Death" as the "Corsair" was nick-named throughout the war with devastating results against their Japanese opponents.

This original Disney artboard depicts the popular Jose' Carioca as a fighting Corsair. The Chance-Vought tech rep for VF-12 was Jack Hospers. This artboard was given to him by the squadron c.o. Cdr Jackie Clifton in 1943 and is so inscribed. It came from his estate many years ago.

IMG_0044.jpg

This design was created in January 1943.

The parrot is not Jose Carioca though, but is just a generic parrot, one of hundreds of original birds, insects, mammals and other creatures created by Disney artists during the war.

Based on the style of the "Walt Disney" signature found on the art, I believe this design was created by Disney artist George Goepper.

Great image - thanks for sharing!

This design was created in January 1943.

The parrot is not Jose Carioca though, but is just a generic parrot, one of hundreds of original birds, insects, mammals and other creatures created by Disney artists during the war.

Based on the style of the "Walt Disney" signature found on the art, I believe this design was created by Disney artist George Goepper.

Great image - thanks for sharing!

Well, there you go. Always looked like Jose' Carioca to me........must be a cousin!

Bob