US Army Blasting Machine

m14msgt

I just acquired a WW2 US Army Blasting Machine made by the White Rodgers Elec. Co. It works great but I am missing the leather strap that fastened on it and the data plate is pretty heavily tarnished. Any ideas on how to remove the crud on the data plate and dimensions on the leather strap so I might restore this beauty to "her" pristine appearance.

I have the Type 6901 No.1 US Army 10 cap blasting machine made by White Rodgers Elec. Co. The leather strap on it is 3/4 inch wide, and approx. 15 inches long. The strap is brown in color, rounded on the ends, with a hole & slot on each end to accept the brass stud.

Hope this helps.

Steve

I have the Type 6901 No.1 US Army 10 cap blasting machine made by White Rodgers Elec. Co. The leather strap on it is 3/4 inch wide, and approx. 15 inches long. The strap is brown in color, rounded on the ends, with a hole & slot on each end to accept the brass stud.

Hope this helps.

Steve

it helps alot! I have the same model. I just need to find some scrap leather and have it cut to those dimensions for it. thanks much!!

• 2 years later...

I too have the same machine. When I first got it, everything thing turned nicely. Today I went to turn it, and it was stuck I just cannot get it to budge. Does any one have any idea how to open the thing to fix the problem?

I too have the same machine. When I first got it, everything thing turned nicely. Today I went to turn it, and it was stuck I just cannot get it to budge. Does any one have any idea how to open the thing to fix the problem?

Put the handle in and wiggle it... Mine sticks too... wiggling it like you're trying to turn the handle sometimes frees it up.

Wayne

I just acquired a WW2 US Army Blasting Machine made by the White Rodgers Elec. Co. It works great but I am missing the leather strap that fastened on it and the data plate is pretty heavily tarnished. Any ideas on how to remove the crud on the data plate and dimensions on the leather strap so I might restore this beauty to "her" pristine appearance.

I got lucky on ebay... you have to sift through lots of listings but you will sometimes find them. Try a purpose search for that specific item (WWII Blasting machine strap) or for just Leather Strap. Widening your parameters will sometimes net you just what you're looking for. The one I got was mint and still had the waxy coating on it. Good Luck.

Wayne

Should it not wiggle free, do you have any suggestions? Is there a way to open it to clean it up?

You could try a drop or two of oil into the shaft socket... give it time to soak in and try to turn the handle again... Mine locks up from time to time but if I keep trying to turn the handle it usually frees up...

Wayne

My inner engineer came out so I took the thing apart. Water had gotten into it. I used fine sand paper to knock the rust and corrosion off the best I could. During the cleaning I figured out that the stop for the first gear in the mechanism had worn thin. This allowed to over rotate back and bind with the second gear. I used friction tape to re create the stop. Everything turns well now. Maybe that is what is starting to happen to yours?

No I just have to fix the wire that was not connected.