• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 svt40

svt40
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,749
  • 531 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 11:48 AM

I picked this one up from the CMP about 2-3 years ago. It's a nice 1944 Inland made M1 carbine. The only thing that is not Inland marked on this one is the slide (AOB) and the firing pin and extractor which are both SW. I was thinking about putting it back to it's 1944 configuration but I decided not to since it has an AAS cartouche for a rebuild on the stock. However I do still intend to replace the non Inland parts with Inland parts.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j254/kalski/The%20gun%20rack/DSC00467.jpg

OI marked in the slingwell.
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j254/kalski/The%20gun%20rack/DSC00278.jpg

Inland marked type III barrel band.
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j254/kalski/The%20gun%20rack/DSC00279.jpg

#2 svt40

svt40
  • Members
  • 531 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 11:53 AM

Ghost of the Inland ordnance wheel on the stock. Very hard to photograph.
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j254/kalski/The%20gun%20rack/DSC00217.jpg

February 1944 dated barrel
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j254/kalski/The%20gun%20rack/DSC00472.jpg

Trigger guard is a later version but I plan to leave it rather than replace it.
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j254/kalski/The%20gun%20rack/DSC00423-1.jpg

#3 Catfishcraig

Catfishcraig
  • Members
    • Member ID: 12,393
  • 652 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 12:20 PM

Very Nice
:w00t:

#4 Badger

Badger
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,906
  • 50 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 10:59 AM

Hi
you gentleman appear to be very knowledgeable on the M1 Carbine.
I have the chance of a postwar carbine here in the UK, I am a reenactor and would like to purchase it.
The guy has put wartime furniture on it.
It has a flip rear sight, but a "rotary" safety, could a "push" safety be substituted for it, what type, a 'checkered'?
Anything else I should look out for, that I might have change if needed to portray it as a WW2 issue piece?
I believe it is a "flat" bolt?
Thank you for your time trouble gents.

Dave Brock "In the very Leafy and sunny SHIRES" of Buckingham ENGLAND!

Edited by Badger, 11 June 2010 - 11:00 AM.

#5 svt40

svt40
  • Members
  • 531 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 01:43 PM

Hi
you gentleman appear to be very knowledgeable on the M1 Carbine.
I have the chance of a postwar carbine here in the UK, I am a reenactor and would like to purchase it.
The guy has put wartime furniture on it.
It has a flip rear sight, but a "rotary" safety, could a "push" safety be substituted for it, what type, a 'checkered'?
Anything else I should look out for, that I might have change if needed to portray it as a WW2 issue piece?
I believe it is a "flat" bolt?
Thank you for your time trouble gents.

Dave Brock "In the very Leafy and sunny SHIRES" of Buckingham ENGLAND!

Good thing about Carbines is that they are all wartime weapons. A flip sight would be correct for most carbines. My carbine is actually very close to the crossover date for Inland to start using the adjustables but is still too early for the type III barrel band.

We'd have to know your manufacturer and serial number in order to help you know what should be on the weapon as it came from the factory. But the typical WWII issued carbine has flip sights, flat bolt, no bayonet lug and a push button safety. Pictures are worth a 1000 words as they say.

#6 Badger

Badger
  • Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 06:39 AM

Good thing about Carbines is that they are all wartime weapons. A flip sight would be correct for most carbines. My carbine is actually very close to the crossover date for Inland to start using the adjustables but is still too early for the type III barrel band.

We'd have to know your manufacturer and serial number in order to help you know what should be on the weapon as it came from the factory. But the typical WWII issued carbine has flip sights, flat bolt, no bayonet lug and a push button safety. Pictures are worth a 1000 words as they say.

Hi, thanks for reply, other was sold, although I have the chance of this one;
Carbine is made by INLAND. Serial No: 64606.
barrel is marked : 'IEM' Corp.
10-43 with 'flaming-grenade' beneath that.
barrel-band is marked : 'K1'
sling recess is marked : '10'
Faint 'Crossed Cannons' in circle cartouche on left hand side of stock.
'Flip' rear sight, and 'flat' bolt.
2 hole 'top' wood.
As you know in England firearms restrictions are some of the most stringent in the world,( we are allowed to fire rubber bands though) so this gun is an 'old-spec.' deact., and as that is about the ONLY type of firearm/gun we are going to able to own LEGALLY soon, I was interested in buying this iconic carbine for my militaria collection. If it was original format issue, would it have a bayonet attachment fitted though?
In our 'funny' money they want 660 for it? I have enclosed (hopefully) the only pic. they have of it at the moment. Appreciate any constructive comments/suggestions (as whether to buy or not) on this subject and thanks for your time.

Attached Images

• M1.CARBINE.jpg

#7 OLDNAVYNUKESPOOK

OLDNAVYNUKESPOOK
  • Members
    • Member ID: 10,036
  • 156 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 07:28 AM

Badger, I'm going to give you a quick response and then let SVT40 add his critique to mine. IMHO, the receiver is a very early INLAND, probably mid-to-late 1942. Regretfully, my thinking is that it's been through the armory, having had at least the stock, barrel and sights replaced. If period correct, it would have the "I" cut stock with Type 1 barrel band, early Inland barrel, true early "flip" sight, etc. If totally correct, in sound but used condition, an early Inland could fetch close to $2,000 U.S. For you to consider buying this piece with the aim of making it period correct with original parts would cost a bloody fortune, even here in the "colonies". You could do it with reproduction parts, though. Someone is currently reproducing the "I" cut stock out of high grade walnut and it looks fantastic...almost too good. Cost is about $180 U.S. The other items required are also being reproduced.

#8 Badger

Badger
  • Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 10:51 AM

Thanks for the info.
More on said weapon, has a 'switch' safety, I take it they mean rotary? Receiver marked 'U.S.CARBINE CAL.30 M1', back of receiver marked 'INLAND DIV 64606'

#9 Badger

Badger
  • Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 10:56 AM

Badger, I'm going to give you a quick response and then let SVT40 add his critique to mine. IMHO, the receiver is a very early INLAND, probably mid-to-late 1942. Regretfully, my thinking is that it's been through the armory, having had at least the stock, barrel and sights replaced. If period correct, it would have the "I" cut stock with Type 1 barrel band, early Inland barrel, true early "flip" sight, etc. If totally correct, in sound but used condition, an early Inland could fetch close to $2,000 U.S. For you to consider buying this piece with the aim of making it period correct with original parts would cost a bloody fortune, even here in the "colonies". You could do it with reproduction parts, though. Someone is currently reproducing the "I" cut stock out of high grade walnut and it looks fantastic...almost too good. Cost is about $180 U.S. The other items required are also being reproduced.

THAT WOULD,NT BE RIVERBANK ARMORIES WOULD IT??

#10 OLDNAVYNUKESPOOK

OLDNAVYNUKESPOOK
  • Members
    • Member ID: 10,036
  • 156 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 11:14 AM

Not to my knowledge. BTW, RA doesn't have a good rep over here. Yes, probably a rotary safety. Does the stock have any arsenal rework marks? If not, it's probably a "put together" from odds and ends.

#11 svt40

svt40
  • Members
  • 531 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 01:08 PM

Ok I dug out my books. Still have not unpacked since I moved to Texas almost a year ago....

64606 is a nice early Inland. Possibly very late 1942 or early 1943. My other Inland is s/n 27320 and is a Sep 1942.

Your carbine has seen at least one rebuild sometime in it's last 60+ years. It's also been rebarreled with an IBM barrel, it would have been an Inland barrel.

Your stock is a correct Inland stock made by Overton-Inland as evidenced by the OI in the stock recess. It is either a modified type II high wood or an unmodified type III low wood. As ONNuke said it should have a high wood I cut stock. But it is a WWII issue stock for an Inland. To make the rest correct you'd have to install a flip sight, checkered push button safety and a type I barrel band as ONNuke also said. Originals of these items are very pricey and reproductions abound.

If your rear sight is heavily staked in place or if you have rebuild cartouches on the left side of the stock i'd think about leaving it alone. Being that it has also been deactivated it would not really be worth the hassle to restore it, to me at least.

I've heard nothing but bad about Riverbank Armory so I'd stay away from them.

#12 Badger

Badger
  • Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 07:32 AM

Ok I dug out my books. Still have not unpacked since I moved to Texas almost a year ago....

64606 is a nice early Inland. Possibly very late 1942 or early 1943. My other Inland is s/n 27320 and is a Sep 1942.

Your carbine has seen at least one rebuild sometime in it's last 60+ years. It's also been rebarreled with an IBM barrel, it would have been an Inland barrel.

Your stock is a correct Inland stock made by Overton-Inland as evidenced by the OI in the stock recess. It is either a modified type II high wood or an unmodified type III low wood. As ONNuke said it should have a high wood I cut stock. But it is a WWII issue stock for an Inland. To make the rest correct you'd have to install a flip sight, checkered push button safety and a type I barrel band as ONNuke also said. Originals of these items are very pricey and reproductions abound.

If your rear sight is heavily staked in place or if you have rebuild cartouches on the left side of the stock i'd think about leaving it alone. Being that it has also been deactivated it would not really be worth the hassle to restore it, to me at least.

I've heard nothing but bad about Riverbank Armory so I'd stay away from them.

The Gunsmith @ the armory where this is up for sale in UK, has said there are NO OTHER Marks , or any signs of marks being rubbed out/removed on either side of stock ONLY the "crossed cannons" with circular cartouche. They have removed rear sight and installed 'early' flip sight from their stock of 'spares'

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

In Memory of Co-Founder GREG MILLS ROBINSON, a.k.a. "Marine-KaBar"
(February 17, 1949 - March 5, 2011)