Fake Patton Military ID

aaf8

I saw this on Ebay today and can't bring myself to believe it's good. Any thoughts??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...p;rd=1&rd=1

Seller ID: seethebeaver

Item #: 120142591112

Item Location: Attalla, Alabama

Description:

Up for auction is a WWII Officers Identification card issued by the WAR DEPARTMENT , Washington Dc.

It was issued to Major General George S. Patton, Jr. on Dec 16, 1941.

Includes signature , photo , and fingerprints.

This tri-fold ID measures 2 3/4" by 5 1/8" opened and 1 3/4" by 2 3/4" folded.

It is in great shape considering its age , however it does have 1 soft corner where it was bent and shows wear from being in a bilfold.

LOW STARTING BID & NO RESERVE !

Somebody will own this rare piece of American Military History.

Shipping will be 2.95 to USA in secure,protective packaging.

I think insurance should be bought. It's cheap and will give protection if it were lost or damaged.

Auction Images:

post-1-1185134396.jpg

post-1-1185134426.jpg

post-1-1185134435.jpg

I saw this on Ebay today and can't bring myself to believe it's good. Any thoughts??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...p;rd=1&rd=1

Dom.....Where's your skepticism coming from? Sure looks like a real document to me. If it's bad, it is a very exotic forgery. You've held so many rare things in your hands, your doubt surprises me. Share your thoughts? Regards....Bob

CNY Militaria

I have one as well. Look at the bottom right hand corner of mine on the brown side. It is dated 2002 and has a distinct stamp. The one in the auction looks to have it too. This may be a weathered version of mine.

i_045.jpg

i_044.jpg

i_043.jpg

CNY Militaria

The last word on my card is "inc", notice the last wordon the auction car is also "inc.".

CNY Militaria

I bet the response is not favorable. Not many people will pass up $1000 just to do the right thing. We will see though!

I bet the response is not favorable. Not many people will pass up $1000 just to do the right thing. We will see though!

Well Dominick, there you have it! A copy of an original worked over to appear old & worn, with obvious intent to defraud. You have the keen and correct eye of an experienced military collector. It is better to be able hold an item in your hands before buying!

Bob

I seem to recall that not many years ago one could purchase a package of historic WWII documents that had been reprinted (facsimiles). It may have included the Germany and Japan surrender documents, Pearl Harbor bombed newspaper headline, Ike's D-Day message, etc. I wonder if the Patton ID card was part of this package. Just recenty I saw one of these packages on eBay, but I cannot find it now.

Also notice the bidder's IDs are private, that is the seller's doing not e-Bay's because of the amount the auction has reached. When e-Bay dose it they number the bidders not mark them Private.

At least on the one Siege1863 posted the seller added in the word "reprint" so as not to decieve like the other seller is doing.

CNY Militaria

The package you speak of Siege is where mine came from. If we are thinking of the same one, It came from the local bookstore. It also has one of Audie Murphy's dog tags in it!

The package you speak of Siege is where mine came from. If we are thinking of the same one, It came from the local bookstore. It also has one of Audie Murphy's dog tags in it!

Where can I get this package? Anyone know the price? I'd like to have one.

AndrewA74

CNY Militaria

I bought mine several years ago, IIRC it was 29.95 at the time. They also make books that are similar with repro stiff inside such as maps, ID's, battle plans, etc.

Of course it's fake. The old saying..if it looks too good to be true...it probably is applies very well to our hobby. It's very hard to imply sarcasm in a post folks but in my case one should assume that I write in jest most of the time. It is a fake that came with the D-Day learning kit during the 60th Anniv. I used this kit when teaching my high school classes about the event. His authentic id rests with the estate of one of his assistants whom I purchased numerous items including "Willie's" dog tags.

In any case...it'll be fun yet disturbing to watch this auction.

The damn thing just went up almost another $600.00 and is now at a little over $1600.00! I hope the winning bidder will join the forum when he receives his piece of American history!

CNY Militaria

Anyone want the one I have for $500? I will gladly sell it :)

Seriously though, at $1600, it is tempting to do the same thing to mine in a few months! I couldn't live with myself though.

EVERYONE should contact the seller and tell him what a CROOK he is as he IS well aware it's fake...

On his page there is a direct link to his email address without going through the Ebay system

He knows it's fake? How?

1. BECAUSE a ton of collectors have already sent him links to this site and the other Patton ID ebay auctions..

2. look at his OTHER auctions.. The fake Patton ID card auction is the ONLY one that he has chosen to keep user ID PRIVATE..

The most important thing members should do is REPORT the item to Ebay as a violation or banned item under Ebay policies.. Government ID's and Fake Government ID's

Do that and Ebay will probably yank this asses auction

kration

I wish one of you guys that has one of these would post it in an auction in the same category. With any luck, the people bidding on this will see it, pull thier bids, and this seller won't get anything...

I just got a "thank you" reply from the seller. He said he would "check it out" (our discussion). I think we should give him a chance to notify the bidders, change the description, or pull the auction. However, he has less than 24 hours to make it right.

Laury Allison
The fake Patton ID card auction is the ONLY one that he has chosen to keep user ID PRIVATE..

kration

Ebay does that automatically when an auction amount reaches a certain level. I don't remember what it is...I think it's $500....it could be even less though, I can't remember.

Laury

Twelve hours and counting and I see no change in the auction other than an additional bid. Looks like he is going to take the money and run. Have any of you other members contacted him? What was the reply?

I noticed his one negative feedback is for selling a reproduction of a NASCAR program. He uses the classic line in the description: "Purchased at an estate sale." He supposedly offered to refund the winning bidder's money claiming he did not know it was bogus. Interestingly, there were identical pieces purchased at this same estate sale and sold on eBay, but since the bidders were ignorant of the fact they were not genuine, they did not complain. Did the seller do the right thing and offer them refunds? It does not appear so.

CNY Militaria
I wish one of you guys that has one of these would post it in an auction in the same category. With any luck, the people bidding on this will see it, pull thier bids, and this seller won't get anything...

I would, but I want to keep my card.