Marine Raider Stiletto

Son of Will

Son of Will

I have a Marine Raider Stiletto that was my Dad's that I may want to sell to cover some medical costs. What do you think it is worth?

post-12243-1275434586.jpg

post-12243-1275434598.jpg

post-12243-1275434611.jpg

Yes, since this forum does not really function as a free appraisal service, eBay's realized price list would be your best bet...

Son of Will
Yes, since this forum does not really function as a free appraisal service, eBay's realized price list would be your best bet...

OK thanks. I just figured that you guys would know and my be interested. I'll go check ebay.

shrapneldude

Despite the forum not being a "free appraisal service" I see nothing wrong with assisting someone in getting a fair price out of a piece of militaria they wish to sell. In that condition, with the "USMC" scroll still visible on the blade, and no chips to the blade, so long as the handle isn't cracked (these were fairly brittle and easily broken) I'd expect to see these for sale at military shows anywhere from $750 to $1000, give or take. Keep in mind that the market has softened a bit in a lot of areas due to the poor economy, but "top end" USMC stuff has always commanded pretty good prices and in my opinion as a USMC collector (though not an "advanced" collector!) the 750-1000 would be a fair price. Perhaps a bit more because in this case, it's an "identified" piece, in that the collector will know the name and history of the Marine Raider who it belonged to. They do often sell for much less than that, which is the nature of any business, and occasionally sell for much higher prices.

Anyhow, there's my guess. Militaria collectibles is like any other used item...used cars, houses, old guns, etc. etc. etc. -- lot of people are hesitant to give you an estimate of value simply because they can fluctuate so much, but there's almost always a few other past sale examples to look at for reference. Good luck to you, and if you have some time, please post some information on your father's history and service on here for reference.

teufelhunde.ret
... Despite the forum not being a "free appraisal service" I see nothing wrong with assisting someone in getting a fair price out of a piece of militaria they wish to sell.

I agree w/ Dan.

... In that condition, with the "USMC" scroll still visible on the blade, and no chips to the blade, so long as the handle isn't cracked (these were fairly brittle and easily broken) I'd expect to see these for sale at military shows anywhere from $750 to $1000, give or take. Keep in mind that the market has softened a bit in a lot of areas due to the poor economy, but "top end" USMC stuff has always commanded pretty good prices and in my opinion as a USMC collector (though not an "advanced" collector!) the 750-1000 would be a fair price. Perhaps a bit more because in this case, it's an "identified" piece, in that the collector will know the name and history of the Marine Raider who it belonged to. They do often sell for much less than that, which is the nature of any business, and occasionally sell for much higher prices.

Realized prices appear between the 500 - 1500 range. Obviously based on 1) condition and 2) if its ID'ed. Thats to your advantage, if you sell it properly. On the down side the blade has condition "issues" that seem to be an overriding factor when it comes time to sell these knives. Dan's ballpark is a good one.

Son of Will
I agree w/ Dan.

Realized prices appear between the 500 - 1500 range. Obviously based on 1) condition and 2) if its ID'ed. Thats to your advantage, if you sell it properly. On the down side the blade has condition "issues" that seem to be an overriding factor when it comes time to sell these knives. Dan's ballpark is a good one.

Hey guys, thanks for the assistance.

I hadn't ever heard of the Raiders and certainly never from my Dad. I asked my Mom last weekend and she hadn't ever heard it either so he probably bartered for it at some time. My dad was a pilot in WWII and the Korean wars, VMFB331 and VMF212. Crashed his Corsair F4U in China and burned pretty badly before I was born.

As I remember him telling me, he was one of 4 pilots to fly the initial delivery of the P-80, his being out of California, I think El Toro, although I would have to check his flight logs to see for sure. I have pictures of him giving the marine Comandant his first ride in a jet. Pretty cool.

Son of Will
He was a Marine pilot?

Yes. Flew with the VMF331 at Tarawa in WWII and with VMF212 in the Korean war.

shrapneldude

If you have any of his uniforms or anything, I'd definitely be interested!

Anyhow, "Teufelhunde.ret" is spot on with regard to the condition of your blade...(and with agreeing with me! haha!)

Before you sell anything, it's important to research as best you can. Even the full-time militaria dealers sometimes sell things for less than "top dollar" so don't hold your breath for the $1500 (May very well happen, but that's not your starting price!) Asking people who buy / sell / lose out on auctions for military stuff all the time is a great place to start gauging the market for the items.

• 6 years later...
Son of Will

Hello again!

Is there anything I should do to this knife to stabilize it, both the blade and handle?

The blade condition is obvious. The handle has no cracks at all.

Thanks!

Kelly

Guess you decided against selling it back in 2010. I will let other more knowledgeable folks advise on conservation, but in case you haven't seen it, there is a nice article on these Marine Raider stilettos in the April 2017 issue of "Man at Arms for the Gun and Sword Collector", the NRA journal for arms collectors. Barns and Noble handles it as well as other book sellers. If they no longer have copies, you can get back issues from the publisher at URL http://andrewmowbraypublishingcom.com/magazine/.

• 1 month later...
milcollector

Hi,

from my experience with the raider knives there is really no way to

stabilize the handle one it begins to crack and break down.

On a good note if yours is not cracking not, you probably have a good one.

I do not know if some batches had more impurities in the handle metal mixture.

But ones I currently have that have cracks continue to swell and crack, and ones I

have with no cracks do seem to change at all.

I think your handle is going to be fine.

As for the blade use caution if you attempt to clean/ remove rust.

The Camillus marking as well as the USMC marking are extremely lightly etched.

Also the polished blade has finish similar to German daggers. It in not just a polished finish.

If you are not familiar with the bail finish, could be best to leave it alone and store the blade

in a knife pouch outside of the sheath.

Others may have a better idea.

It is a nice knife and even better that it was your dads.