WWII Coast Guard Auxiliary rates

Sic_Transit_Gloria

Sic_Transit_Gloria

Hello there,

First time posting so I hope I am not repeating any earlier posts. I was curious which rates you have come across on WWII Coast Guard Auxiliary uniforms? I've seen boatswain, yeoman and cook a number of times but not much else. I presume there would have been a spread of ratings that could have been worn but that these would certainly be less varied than those of the regular Coast Guard or Navy. Did the USCGA for instance use any of the wartime emergency letter rates? Any observations on the subject?

Thanks for the help.

I was not aware that Coast Guard Auxiliary ever had enlisted rates. I thought they all wore officer style uniforms and while they have ranks they are not the same ranks as the Coast Guard. They are unpaid volunteers and are limited by law as to what they can do to support the Coast Guard. Can you show some pictures of Coast Guard Auxiliary ratings.

Sic_Transit_Gloria
I was not aware that Coast Guard Auxiliary ever had enlisted rates. I thought they all wore officer style uniforms and while they have ranks they are not the same ranks as the Coast Guard. They are unpaid volunteers and are limited by law as to what they can do to support the Coast Guard. Can you show some pictures of Coast Guard Auxiliary ratings.

Yes, I think you're right. I was confusing the Auxiliary with the shore based units of the Coast Guard (whose enlisted men wore the distinctive blue or khaki four pocket uniforms). What I meant to say was which rates you've seen on the uniforms of shore based Coast Guard servicemen from WWII. I also should have added dog handler and port security to the rates that I have come across (though rarely) on this type of uniform.

Thanks

-Kev

market garden
Yes, I think you're right. I was confusing the Auxiliary with the shore based units of the Coast Guard (whose enlisted men wore the distinctive blue or khaki four pocket uniforms). What I meant to say was which rates you've seen on the uniforms of shore based Coast Guard servicemen from WWII. I also should have added dog handler and port security to the rates that I have come across (though rarely) on this type of uniform.

Thanks

-Kev

I wish I had a port security uniform.Market garden

Here's my example of a Port Sercurity coast guard uniform. I have a couple khaki coast guard uniforms with the non speciallist rates.

post-2501-1275255781.jpg

post-2501-1275255793.jpg

Jason

Hopefully this thread can stop before it gets out of control, as Sic_ said there is a diference between WW2 shore and ship billet uniforms and present day USCG Auxilary uniforms which are silver versions of the USCG officer uniforms in gold. During WW2 and before Coast guardsman on ships wore a navy style uniform and shore based ( surfman) wore a CPO style uniform. And as Dan noted a sailors top is a jumper and NOT a middy, ask a female sailor if her summer white uniform top is a "middy" and I hope you get popped. We needto start a pinned thread on proper uniform terminology , come'on its in the regs and on the tags. But not to rag on about this a pinned thread would be helpful.

John