Patches in action: Photos of SSI being worn by the troops.

Teamski

Troops of the 16th Constabulary Squadron wearing Constabulary SSI and tab. The one on the right is wearing Infantry branch insignia and the one on the left appears to be wearing Military Police branch insignia.

post-1761-0-74219100-1440252352.jpg

post-34986-0-96072600-1440726323.jpg

A 10th Air Force Combat Patch???

Unlikely as this foto was taken in early August of 1944. The officer with the 10th AF patch and the CBI, is Maj Gen Howard C. Davidson CO of the 10th Air Force, the other, Maj Gen Barry M. Giles, Deputy Commander of the Army Air Forces who was in from Washington for a visit or some thing the other one sitting is of course Gen Joe Stilwell.

Davidson looks like he's wearing both patches because of some kind of solidarity of being in the CBI??? Also it looks like he wearng only BG stars right? Or are my eyes playing tricks.

As a side note Davidson was the CO of 14th Pursuit Wing at Wheeler Field on Pearl Harbor Day, and was actually portrayed in TORA TORA TORA by actor Edward Sheehan, I remember his scene, he's the officer who gives the order to send some fighter aircraft away from Wheeler to disburse them, and brings Lt's Welsh and Taylor in to send them to Haleiwa Field, they think there being sent for for a chewing out for winning or cheating in cards around the base. :lol:

post-34986-0-59530600-1440726302.jpg

Troops of the 16th Constabulary Squadron wearing Constabulary SSI and tab. The one on the right is wearing Infantry branch insignia and the one on the left appears to be wearing Military Police branch insignia.

The 2 troopers are both wearing Cavalry crossed sabers, not infantry or MP. The 16th Squadron was very strict with its insignia and all members wore crossed sabers. I am pretty sure they are just manufacturer variants.

• 2 weeks later...

attachicon.giftscank0006.jpg

A 10th Air Force Combat Patch???

Unlikely as this foto was taken in early August of 1944. The officer with the 10th AF patch and the CBI, is Maj Gen Howard C. Davidson CO of the 10th Air Force, the other, Maj Gen Barry M. Giles, Deputy Commander of the Army Air Forces who was in from Washington for a visit or some thing the other one sitting is of course Gen Joe Stilwell.

Davidson looks like he's wearing both patches because of some kind of solidarity of being in the CBI??? Also it looks like he wearng only BG stars right? Or are my eyes playing tricks.

As a side note Davidson was the CO of 14th Pursuit Wing at Wheeler Field on Pearl Harbor Day, and was actually portrayed in TORA TORA TORA by actor Edward Sheehan, I remember his scene, he's the officer who gives the order to send some fighter aircraft away from Wheeler to disburse them, and brings Lt's Welsh and Taylor in to send them to Haleiwa Field, they think there being sent for for a chewing out for winning or cheating in cards around the base. :lol:

attachicon.gif81727-19838.jpg

Got a couple more AF/CBI combos circa 1944.

Both Gen Stratemeyer.

post-34986-0-06753200-1441502814.jpg

Here with a Yugo wing and those USAAF Patch Types Crests, and whats that on the pocket flap, looks like a P-38 Lighting pin?

post-34986-0-86251000-1441502985.jpg

And Old Leatherface's award ceremony for the DFC.

See posts # 423 424, see J-Andrews in post # 425 for the straight dope on this uncommom wear of patches by USAAF people in the CBI.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/166035-uncommon-and-obscure-combat-patches-being-worn/page-17&do=findComment&comment=1581965

I'll take your word for it, could have sworn it was tora.

Nope it was Midway, (actually seen it twice, once with my Father too) and besides we were not hanging around really in 1970 (TORA TORA TORA released in Septmber of that year), more like from 1971-72 on.

Also these.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/174521-the-wild-geese-i-dont-see-another-topic-on-this-movie/

post-467-0-50858200-1441840643.jpg

173rd Airborne Bde purple hearts. Skytrooper on the right has no name tape on his jacket (the nightmare of many VN collectors) but has a VN airborne jump status badge.

Picture stolen from Pinterest...

A pair of 44th Infantry Division military policemen interviewing two German child-soldiers taken prisoner at Landeck, Austria on May 6, 1945. Note the odd 44th MP SSI the one on the right is wearing. Anyone seen this variation before?

post-1761-0-29298800-1442245887.jpg

post-1761-0-93485900-1442245887.jpg

BILL THE PATCH

Yes I've see that patch before, quite rare. They pop up on eBay every so often. They fetch a few hundred bucks. I've seen a couple of different versions, emb on felt, emb on twill. Great picture. Thanks for showing.

Not so much a Patch in action as a Tab in Action.

post-34986-0-70142400-1442842954.jpg

A medic of the 17th Abn Div, Wesel Mar 45, he wears his old M42 Jacket (trousers may be the M42 too, or the Jump modified M43 trousers, hard to tell). The Golden Talon patch either fell away or was purposely removed leaving only the AIRBORNE tab.

Not so much a Patch in action as a Tab in Action.

attachicon.gif144286080649565.jpg

A medic of the 17th Abn Div, Wesel Mar 45, he wears his old M42 Jacket (trousers may be the M42 too, or the Jump modified M43 trousers, hard to tell). The Golden Talon patch either fell away or was purposely removed leaving only the AIRBORNE tab.

Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly, but it seems like I have seen some discussion in this forum before as to whether any of the 17th Airborne troopers wore their SSI during Operation Varsity and particularly whether there is any photographic evidence of this. Am I crazy or does anyone else remember this?

Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly, but it seems like I have seen some discussion in this forum before as to whether any of the 17th Airborne troopers wore their SSI during Operation Varsity and particularly whether there is any photographic evidence of this. Am I crazy or does anyone else remember this?

Yeah I remember that vaguely.

40th Armored Division of the California National Guard

post-1761-0-65464900-1397244285.jpg

Recognized the face then the NAME plate, he's Herbert Temple, when I was in 1982 he was Director of the Army National Guard, his portrait, or the head shot of it at any rate is in that 1982 GREEN BOOK I got in the Command and Staff of the Army section.

Believe it's this photo that's cropped and printed in the Green Book.post-34986-0-06603400-1443063417.jpeg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbert_R._Temple,_Jr.