Patches in action: Photos of SSI being worn by the troops.

Teamski

158th Regimental Combat Team SSI and DUI worn post-World War II due to the fact the soldier is wearing enlisted collar insignia on his khakis and the same soldier wearing the SSI with domed collar brass but without the DUI. The information I have says he served with the unit from 1949 to 1951.

post-1761-0-46945100-1514499445_thumb.jpg

post-1761-0-31707200-1514499455.jpg

post-1761-0-67320900-1514500084.jpg

193rd Infantry Brigade. Although the brigade served as a combat unit in Panama from the early 60s to the late 90s, it is now a basic combat training unit at Fort Jackson, SC.

post-1761-0-05505200-1514554656_thumb.jpg

Lt. James Johnson of Company D 151st Infantry, an Indiana National Guard LRRP unit federalized in 1968 and sent to Vietnam. He is wearing the full color scroll for the unit without any other SSI which would have been II Field Force Vietnam.

post-1761-0-41399500-1514900935_thumb.jpg

Screenshots from a newsreel showing Britain's King George VI visiting with Generals George Patton and Mark Clark during his inspection tour of North Africa during June 1943. Patton is wearing his I Armored Corps SSI following his relinquishment of command of II Corps a couple of months before and prior to the invasion of Sicily the following month and Clark is wearing the newly approved SSI of Fifth Army which was activated in North Africa in January 1943 to prepare for the invasion of Italy.

post-1761-0-20179000-1515091350_thumb.jpg

post-1761-0-49339600-1515091367_thumb.jpg

Lt. James Johnson of Company D 151st Infantry, an Indiana National Guard LRRP unit federalized in 1968 and sent to Vietnam. He is wearing the full color scroll for the unit without any other SSI which would have been II Field Force Vietnam.

Great picture. Those were some large scrolls that they wore.

This is an artillery officer of the 1st Battalion 14th Artillery presumably at Fort Hood based on the date of the photo. Note the jeep has the markings of the 198th Infantry Brigade stenciled on the bumper. However, the officer appears to be wearing an armored triangle SSI, probably for the 1st Armored Division, over his U.S. Army tape. This is further evidence that the 198th was initially subordinate to the 1st Armored Division.

post-1761-0-86524300-1515429043_thumb.jpg

post-1761-0-24755000-1515429056.jpg

Pop John Gorski, is the Ranger sitting with his brother Stan at the 449th AAF in Grottaglie, Italy in March? of '44 on a "vacation" Anzio. That is the million dollar question at this point of my research. He was taken of the line after getting wounded at Chuinzi pass and grabbed up by the Btn Surgeon, Sheldon Sommers to be "his driver" as dad told it. He never spoke of being on the beach but although he told us many stories, non had to do with combat. He followed Sommers into the FSSF and 474th through Norway.

My document dump if the link works.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipMCgXWJhn3XWieHhhf3FIX9W-wWjqtCXL0kWe8RoBZIewbR_L1Z1CSzJGN6A8BD6w?key=ZktKQjJKQWJhZlpOY2VZQl91RlBOb25PQi01TzV3

Pop John Gorski, is the Ranger sitting with his brother Stan at the 449th AAF in Grottaglie, Italy in March? of '44 on a "vacation" Anzio. That is the million dollar question at this point of my research. He was taken of the line after getting wounded at Chuinzi pass and grabbed up by the Btn Surgeon, Sheldon Sommers to be "his driver" as dad told it. He never spoke of being on the beach but although he told us many stories, non had to do with combat. He followed Sommers into the FSSF and 474th through Norway.

My document dump if the link works.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipMCgXWJhn3XWieHhhf3FIX9W-wWjqtCXL0kWe8RoBZIewbR_L1Z1CSzJGN6A8BD6w?key=ZktKQjJKQWJhZlpOY2VZQl91RlBOb25PQi01TzV3

Those are some great images there.

So as Chuinzi was in September 43, we guess he was out of the line by Jan 44, and assigned to the battalion HQ Co

And here he is, HQ Co, in C Co before that, 1st Rng Bn. List his rank as Pfc, probaly his rank when wounded?

Last Name GORSKI First Name, MI: JOHN E Battalion: 1 Company: HQ,C Rank: Pfc. Service Number: 32576429

He was rifleman in "C" Co of the 1st and a private until he hit the beach at Gela. That earned a Ranger the shoulder patch and a rank of Pfc. Were you able to see the documents that I collected?

He was rifleman in "C" Co of the 1st and a private until he hit the beach at Gela. That earned a Ranger the shoulder patch and a rank of Pfc. Were you able to see the documents that I collected?

Yes, it came up after clicking on it, no problems, at least for me, seen him as a T/5 also. That roster listing I put up came from this site, have you seen it before?

http://www.rangerroster.org/SearchPage.asp

Thanks. Yes I have seen that database. FWIW It's incomplete in a lot of cases, as is Burhan's FSSF roster. I've done extensive research and was fortunate to have the documents he left. I'm a member of the Ranger, FSSF and 474th Facebook pages and have studied his war a bunch. He was the best trained and luckiest Ranger of WWII. His war was hell and he was able to bury a lot of bad memories I believe. Yet he could tell non combat stories of the time. The story he told of the engagement ring he had made in Oslo from gold teeth that some of the guy's had "collected" was........enlightening. I should start a thread somewhere. :)

Thanks. Yes I have seen that database. FWIW It's incomplete in a lot of cases, as is Burhan's FSSF roster. I've done extensive research and was fortunate to have the documents he left. I'm a member of the Ranger, FSSF and 474th Facebook pages and have studied his war a bunch. He was the best trained and luckiest Ranger of WWII. His war was hell and he was able to bury a lot of bad memories I believe. Yet he could tell non combat stories of the time. The story he told of the engagement ring he had made in Oslo from gold teeth that some of the guy's had "collected" was........enlightening. I should start a thread somewhere. :)

Yes most rosters are inconclusive to be sure, still they are great tools that we couldn't do with out, like in example the WWII Ranger roster, that where we found out about Loretta Lynn's husband Mooney Lynn, Mooney Lynn has in some pages on him as being in D-Day, he is listed in the United States Army Rangers of WWII Database as being in E Co 5th Rangers, but being that he was 17 at the time of D-Day I suspect he was a replacement from the fall of 44 on.