• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 sgtdorango

sgtdorango
  • Members
    • Member ID: 350
  • 12,491 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 06:33 PM

Heres a helmet cover i picked up the other day with US insignia applied on front, never seen this before , has anyone else seen this or know why it is used? The cover is dated 2000.
uscover.jpg

#2 VMI88

VMI88
  • Members
    • Member ID: 265
  • 2,936 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 06:50 PM

It was probably used by a government contractor deployed overseas. They usually wear the letters "US" in a triangle on their uniform shirt. I've never seen the letters on a helmet before, but civilians pretty much do what they want and you see a lot of variations.

Bill

#3 US CANTEEN GURU

US CANTEEN GURU

BANNED

• Banned
    • Member ID: 85
  • 266 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 07:27 PM

I was thinking along the same line, perhaps a press correspondent? I can't think of any use of an embroidered "U.S." by the Army.

This kind of mysterious item adds frustration to collecting and satisfaction when figured out.

#4 DM1975

DM1975
  • Members
    • Member ID: 281
  • 844 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 10:41 AM

VMI88 nailed it. Seen this a few times in Iraq.

#5 sgtdorango

sgtdorango
  • Members
  • 12,491 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 12:43 PM

Thanks guys, another oddball for my collection... :rolleyes:

#6 atb

atb
  • Members
    • Member ID: 943
  • 4,336 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 04:35 PM

US Army civilian (DA Civilians) employess deployed overseas who are authorized to wear the uniform, wear the "US" device on that uniform. It is in the form of a patch with the "US" within a triangle on the shoulder or above a pocket and "US" devices like on that helmet cover on the uniform collar. I doubt contractors would wear the "US" device, but I could be mistaken. It is covered in the Army uniform regulations.

Edited by atb, 19 July 2007 - 04:35 PM.

#7 QED4

QED4
  • Members
    • Member ID: 55
  • 2,176 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 09:01 AM

This is only a guess and I am not sure if it is still the practice today. When I was in the Army CID agents that normally wear only civilian cloths would wear uniforms in areas where civies were not allowed but they would have no specifics insignia. Instead of rank and branch insignia they would only wear officer's US in there place. That may be what this is.

#8 hawkdriver

hawkdriver
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,549
  • 8,038 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 06:40 PM

Being a Blackhawk pilot that flew a lot of these guys in Iraq, I can tell you that you do have a DA civilian's helmet cover. Normally, these guys did not wear covers on their helmets, they just wore them bare. I would make a bet that this guy did not want to be mistaken for a contractor and since everyone that flies "Blackhawk Air" had to have a helmet and body armor, and the body armor would have covered his normal U.S. on his jacket, he probably bought his own cover and had his "US" sewn on so that everyone would know he was DA.... I would bet.

#9 VMI88

VMI88
  • Members
    • Member ID: 265
  • 2,936 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 01:41 PM

This is an interesting helmet cover -- I don't think these were used for very long. It's made for the Advanced Combat Helmet (ACH), the improved version of the Kevlar. It's reversible from desert to woodland camouflage. Of course with the new ACUs there's only one camouflage pattern in use, and therefore no need for a reversible cover.

Bill

Attached Images

• DSC02044.JPG

#10 heady506th

heady506th
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,565
  • 317 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 03:21 PM

This is an interesting helmet cover -- I don't think these were used for very long. It's made for the Advanced Combat Helmet (ACH), the improved version of the Kevlar. It's reversible from desert to woodland camouflage. Of course with the new ACUs there's only one camouflage pattern in use, and therefore no need for a reversible cover.

Bill

You are right they came with our helmets we were issued but since we were all going to ACU's we never used them at all. I still have my unissued one in the bottom of a dufflebag at the house. Matter of fact I can't recall any unit using those throughout all my deployments over here in Iraq. I have seen SF and Delta paint their Mitch helmets tan but have seen none with tan covers in use. Though I am sure their may be a NG unit out there that had to use them though I haven't seen any personally.
David

#11 1stDivVet

1stDivVet
  • Members
    • Member ID: 4,106
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 05:06 PM

I was a counter- intelligence agent 97B-20 back in 90-99. When in the field, we wore US collar devices instead of our rank. We never were refured to by it either. We were called Special Agent or just Agent.. Our sank was written as SA.. That way, when we had a job to do, we didn't have to worry about being out ranked. We could go in, do our jobs, and get out without a hassle.. I got to have more than one officer written up for failing to comply with a security inspection or for failing to follow SOP concerning security..We never had anything but the chocolate chips tho..I got my first 3 color camos before Somolia, but never got a new helmet cover.. I had the choclate chips, and a woodland.. I think I have a snow one too somewhere I was given.. Never an all tan one tho..

Fins.

#12 blinky

blinky
  • Members
    • Member ID: 125
  • 111 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 02:05 PM

You are right they came with our helmets we were issued but since we were all going to ACU's we never used them at all. I still have my unissued one in the bottom of a dufflebag at the house. Matter of fact I can't recall any unit using those throughout all my deployments over here in Iraq. I have seen SF and Delta paint their Mitch helmets tan but have seen none with tan covers in use. Though I am sure their may be a NG unit out there that had to use them though I haven't seen any personally.
David

Very interesting thread! I have an ACU helmet with the reversable cover that was used by a member of the 3rd Infantry Division while in Iraq. After he returned to the states he wore the same helmet and cover with the woodland side out. I can take pictures if anyone is interested.

eric

#13 sgtdorango

sgtdorango
  • Members
  • 12,491 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 02:32 PM

yes!!!.....mike

#14 blinky

blinky
  • Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 03:00 PM

My fingers were working faster than my brain, I meant ACH!
Here are the pictures. The first one is an overall shot in the woodland. I've left it as I received it from the fellow who wore it.

Attached Images

• cover_2.jpg

#15 blinky

blinky
  • Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 03:01 PM

You can see the outline of where his 3rd ID patches were stitched.

Attached Images

• cover_3.jpg

#16 blinky

blinky
  • Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 03:01 PM

Then the back....

Attached Images

• cover_4.jpg

#17 blinky

blinky
  • Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 03:03 PM

and the tan camo which is very faded....

Attached Images

• cover_5.jpg

#18 blinky

blinky
  • Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 03:13 PM

Helmet in use March 2005

Attached Images

• 7_mar_iraq__guard_005__3_.jpg

#19 DM1975

DM1975
  • Members
    • Member ID: 281
  • 844 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 08:39 PM

Here is the one that I wore in 2005 in Iraq as well. :)
(thats me in the background, taken on Christmas day in '05 on a patrol)

Posted Image

Edited by DM1975, 01 October 2008 - 08:41 PM.

#20 bigschuss

bigschuss
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,842
  • 92 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 03:21 AM

DM1975, I love thathelmet and the pic! Nice work http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif

Here is a patched, 3rd ID K-Pot with NVG. I always prefer the combat used look, like DM1975's helmet. But this one I like as well.

PA190133.JPG

Edited by bigschuss, 21 October 2008 - 03:24 AM.

#21 bigschuss

bigschuss
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,842
  • 92 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 03:26 AM

I've got to give credit to DM1975 for his great idea. I love the way his pic came out and thought I would try the same thing with my helmet. I was in Iraq the first go around.

Blair_with_Helmet.jpg

#22 RedLegGI

RedLegGI
  • Members
    • Member ID: 5,712
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 02:46 PM

Bill

I got issued one of those covers for basic at Sill in Apr 06. We wore ours with the desert side out.

As for the insignia, a lot of the DOD employees wear it on their uniform. The patch looks exactly like the WWII civilian patches.

Dent

#23 RedLegGI

RedLegGI
  • Members
    • Member ID: 5,712
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 01:19 PM

Just saw on Ebay where someone is offering "A whole pile" of them over the next few days. Has a set of 2 up right now, and the bid is something like $15. Wish I had the link to show ya'll.

Dent

#24 all-bull

all-bull
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,063
  • 3,144 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 08:11 AM

Hey guys,
Noticed no one has added to this in a while. I just came across these two in box I was going through.

What is the age of this one?

Attached Images

• covers_001.JPG

#25 all-bull

all-bull
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,063
  • 3,144 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 08:12 AM

and is this parachute cover unusual or uncommon? i have never seen one before, but I don't collect helmet covers either. It is pretty faded on the inside, though not as bad as the pictures show.

Attached Images

• covers_002.JPG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users