WWII Naval Aviator VT-87 Navy Cross recipient group

KASTAUFFER

I just got this " E-Cheap" lot in the mail today !!!!

It is a fantastic grouping to a Naval Aviator who flew Avengers with Torpedo Squadron 87 off of the USS Ticonderoga . He earned the Navy Cross for his part in attacking the Japanese Battleship Hyuga at Kure Japan on July 24, 1945 .

Earlier in the war he flew with VC-55 off of the USS Block Island and was present when she was sunk on May 29, 1944.

The lot includes lots of items, but the highlights are his B-4 May West , 1942 dated Naval Aviator Certificate , Flight Helmet , and original VT-87 un-cut squadron patch .

I feel very fortunate to be the caretaker of this lot and it also shows that cool items can still be found on " E-pay " without having to spend an arm and a leg.

little.JPG

Here is his photo from the 1942 Pensacola Annual as an Aviation Cadet.

little14.JPG

His B-4 is a US Navy contract issue , which is scarcer than AAF ones. This one is stencilled with his name and dated Nov 5, 1943 .

little1.JPG

His Flight Helmet is the tan cotton version and has seen lots of use. It still has all of the avionics .

little4.JPG

little6.JPG

This is a close up of his Naval Aviator certificate from Pensacola . He earned his wings of gold in 1942 .

little3.JPG

This is a shipboard made squadron patch for VT-87 stencilled on canvas . It is uncut and was never sewn on a jacket. I bet it is scarcer than an Alamo Scouts patch :rolleyes:

little7.JPG

little8.JPG

Here are entries from his Naval Aviator's Flight Logbook. The first picture is the certification of his flight time for the logbook that went down witht he USS Block Island in May 1944

little12.JPG

The following pages have his combat entries from May to July 1945 including July 24, 1945 which was the day he earned the Navy Cross.

little9.JPG

little10.JPG

little11.JPG

Here is his copy of the CBI " Pointie Talkie " for use in China in case he was shot down, and his USN survival guide .

little13.JPG

Kurt,

That is a great grouping. And I think you are right about that squadron patch. Very nice!! thumbsup.gif

Wow sweet grouping! it looks as if the flight helmet was adapted for the boom mic as you can see the bracket for it attached to the right ear cup.

you made an interesting comment about the navy contract B-4's are scarcer which they are so I did some calculations from known navy contracts and knowing what a B-4 costs to manufacturer and came up with a figure of approximately 300,000 B-4 life preservers were manufactured from 1942-45

Wow sweet grouping! it looks as if the flight helmet was adapted for the boom mic as you can see the bracket for it attached to the right ear cup.

you made an interesting comment about the navy contract B-4's are scarcer which they are so I did some calculations from known navy contracts and knowing what a B-4 costs to manufacturer and came up with a figure of approximately 300,000 B-4 life preservers were manufactured from 1942-45

Hi Dustin

Based on the contract number on the helmet, I think he may have been issued it post war . What do you think ? It looks like it has been through a war, but he stayed in the reserves and flew up to at least 1955 according to his logbook.

I havent seen a USN issue B-4 sell on Ebay for a while. It would be interesting to see how much they run these days. I LOVE this one since it has his name stencilled on the front. That adds quite a bit to it . I'd rather have one like this than a minty fresh one that was never issued .

Kurt

Kurt ,the helmet was contracted in april 1945 and completed in october 1945 so at best he was issued this helmet very late war but by the looks of it it saw much use so it seems he must have used this helmet considerably after the war ended but that could be storage gime also, especially if the helmet and vest was stored like on a shelf in a dusty shed,barn or garage and just tossed around for many many years and the other possibility would be children played with it which is probably the case with other items he brought home like flight jacket etc..which falls into typical stories you here from vets.IMO

as for the vest I do not think the contractor makes much of a value difference they seem to sell for the same either AAC or USN as most people I do not think make that distinction but there is a difference on very early navy contracted vests especially when there is the USN stenciled on collar from what I have noticed as I do search life preservers regularly on Ebay.Now if yours had the USN on collar it would make it more desirable for example your vest on it's own might reach the average $125 mark but with USN on collar it might reach the $200 just little aspects like this change value considerably Also I think people want the MK-1 vest for thier navy displays over the B-4's.Your vest as two nice points it is credited with the grouping and the bonus of the name stencil, without the name and seperate from the grouping it is just a grimmy vest and a very good addition and unique to find in such a grouping.

Kurt ,the helmet was contracted in april 1945 and completed in october 1945 so at best he was issued this helmet very late war but by the looks of it it saw much use so it seems he must have used this helmet considerably after the war ended but that could be storage gime also, especially if the helmet and vest was stored like on a shelf in a dusty shed,barn or garage and just tossed around for many many years and the other possibility would be children played with it which is probably the case with other items he brought home like flight jacket etc..which falls into typical stories you here from vets.IMO

as for the vest I do not think the contractor makes much of a value difference they seem to sell for the same either AAC or USN as most people I do not think make that distinction but there is a difference on very early navy contracted vests especially when there is the USN stenciled on collar from what I have noticed as I do search life preservers regularly on Ebay.Now if yours had the USN on collar it would make it more desirable for example your vest on it's own might reach the average $125 mark but with USN on collar it might reach the $200 just little aspects like this change value considerably Also I think people want the MK-1 vest for thier navy displays over the B-4's.Your vest as two nice points it is credited with the grouping and the bonus of the name stencil, without the name and seperate from the grouping it is just a grimmy vest and a very good addition and unique to find in such a grouping.

Hi Dustin

Thanks for your insight and info thumbsup.gif It certainly helps put each of these items in context as they relate to the grouping.

Kurt

Nice pickup Kurt! I agree US Navy is very undervalued.

Gary

I agree Gary!

Here is a cool photo of VT-87 I found online

VT_87_2.jpg

Kurt Barickman

Very nice haul Kurt, yes USN is very much overlooked. Especially nice to a Navy Cross Winner. Please remember to look me up when you get to the Gopher State!!

Kurt Barickman

• 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...