Post your navy jumpers!

luft

PS Does anyone know if Liberty Cuffs can still be found anywhere? I'd imagine that there is not a big market for them in these days, but I'd still like to find a pair someday.

You can still buy new liberty cuffs in Hong Kong and have them sewn into your uniform as well... (I know because I did!)

Dave

Hello

I like the Shark on the Liberty Cuffs. By the time I got into the US Navy in 1989, I think that Liberty Cuffs were a thing of the past already. I remember hearing about them and I knew what they were, but no one that I know ever had them on their Dress Blues.

I do have one Liberty Cuff that is a Shark that I had stitched to a jacket (the nylon jackets that could be bought at the Exchange, there were fairly common, and every branch of the Service had a version, they have a vertical stripe down one side the had "US Navy", or US (insert Service name here)). I got that Liberty Cuff at a tailor shop in Milington, Tn. when I was at AE A School.

I have thought of finding a complete pair Liberty Cuffs with the Shark and "retro-fitting" them onto my Dress Blues LOL, why?...I don't know LOL.

Anyway, getting back to the topic of this thread. The next time I'm at my Dad's place I'll try and remember to take a few photos of my Grand Dad's Whites and Blues from the First World War and post them here.

Thanks

Mark

PS Does anyone know if Liberty Cuffs can still be found anywhere? I'd imagine that there is not a big market for them in these days, but I'd still like to find a pair someday.

I also got my first set in Milington many years ago. When the jumper uniform was revived in 1980, I was staioned in Japan. My guys went out and had them made, along with a few others, but I did not see a wide resurgance. I beleive forum member Dan Smith has them to sell.

Steve Hesson

Stev

Hello

I think I'm going to keep my eyes open for a decent affordable set of Liberty Cuffs (Sharks). I did a bit of checking on Ebay last night there were a few sets listed, but none that I'd want. If I recall some were in the $10-$20(U.S.) range, I don't want to spend too much on an item that I need like a hole in my head, but that was not too bad of a price.

Another item that I recall being sold in the NEX when I was at NATTC Milington, was a wallet that was the correct size to fit the pockets of the Dress Blues.

I recall that trying to pull a normal civvie sized wallet out of my back pocket was a bit difficult at times LOL. I would not mind finding one of those some day as well. Why do I want to find these things years after I'm out of the Navy?...If I knew I'd tell you LOL.

Thanks

Mark

• 2 weeks later...
Hello

I think I'm going to keep my eyes open for a decent affordable set of Liberty Cuffs (Sharks). I did a bit of checking on Ebay last night there were a few sets listed, but none that I'd want. If I recall some were in the $10-$20(U.S.) range, I don't want to spend too much on an item that I need like a hole in my head, but that was not too bad of a price.

Another item that I recall being sold in the NEX when I was at NATTC Milington, was a wallet that was the correct size to fit the pockets of the Dress Blues.

I recall that trying to pull a normal civvie sized wallet out of my back pocket was a bit difficult at times LOL. I would not mind finding one of those some day as well. Why do I want to find these things years after I'm out of the Navy?...If I knew I'd tell you LOL.

Thanks

Mark

Mark,

I've still got some liberty cuffs. Contact me.

-dan

• 2 weeks later...

post-2104-1276542518.jpgthis was the last jumper I wore while an SM1 in 1984. It is a left over VN era blue melton wool like the one I had been issued in '73, but I got this one from a guy who made Chief and passed this uniform to me. Although it had been replaced by the black wool newer uniforms of '80, some of the older guys that still had these continued to wear them because they were warmer, and it goot cold standing quarterdeck watches in Pohang and Pusan Korea in the winter.

Steve Hesson

post-2104-1276546513.jpgThis is the same jumper with the liberty cuffs showing. I got these while attending ASE "A" School in Millington TN in '73. They had been in my original blues but were transfered to these after we returned to the jumper uniform in '80

Steve Hesson

post-2104-1276546755.jpgpost-2104-1276546767.jpg Close ups of my St Louis Liberty Cuffs. I know that traditionally, they are worn as matching pairs. But I liked them both and decided to have one of each. There is always a rebel in the crowd.

Steve Hesson

post-2104-1276546993.jpg And for the tag readers, this is the tag from my St. Louis jumper. Notice the original owners name is lined out and mine added. Commonly done. He was a Radioman by the way, but a good guy none the less (Signalman humor)

Steve Hesson

post-2104-1276547217.jpg Again, for tag readers, this is the tag that is in the trousers that were part of the set with the liberty cuff jumper. Notice they have different contract dates even though, the guy I got them from bought them at the same time.

Steve Hesson

post-2104-1276547523.jpg This is my fathers Tailor made jumper. He retired in 1967. I think it was made in Hong Kong early '60s. The crow and hash marks are applied chevron tyle usually associated with WW2. the UIM (rocker) is USS Ajax.

Steve Hesson

post-2104-1276547766.jpg This is the inside of my dads tailor made jumper. As you can see, it is very plain. Dad did ot go in for all the fancy work, he just wanted a comfortable set of blues. He was ot pleased when I came home with liberty cuffs.

Steve Hesson

post-2104-1276547955.jpg The insied of my dads tailor made trousers. Again, nothing fancy. They do not have the size lacing in the rear.

Steve Hesson

post-2104-1276548182.jpg

This is one of my dads undress blue jumpers. Not sure how this survived. Notice that even though he wore this the day he retired, it has no hashmarks nor ships UIM (he was on the USS Ajax). He said that it was common not to bother with those things on undress blues. He said that until he was first class, he didn't bother with crows too much either. He was an EM by the way.

Steve Hesson

post-2104-1276548545.jpgpost-2104-1276548408.jpg

Interesting detail on dads undress blue jumper. This is a repair done to the inside back. It is a piece of black cotton tape sewn over a msall tear.

Steve Hesson

Hello

Here is one of my Grand Dad's Dress Blue Jumpers. He Served from Dec. 1917 until Aug. 1919 This jumper is very faded.

DSCN1862.jpg

And the stencil markings. His name was Clemence Dominic Koselke, he was First Generation German-American, he was my Mother's Father.

DSCN1863.jpg