A trio of Tri-wing pattern beauties - Pilot, L, S

John Cooper

John Cooper

Well I am home early enought to actually posts some more of my recent additions!

Here is a very nice trio of wings with the pilot being a variation of a wing I have in the same pattern but with this wing marked coin silver. I do not know the maker although I discussed this with Patrick who thought maybe Bell made them I think based upon the reverse of the wing. Maybe Patrick can add to that..?

It is a simple but very nice design in my opinion I hope you think so as well.

John

post-227-1274228024.jpg

John Cooper

Here is the reverse shot which shows the coin silver mark variation and the differences in the reverse as well. I still need to add a glider to this so if you happen to have one or a spare ;) please let me know!

As far as this pattern itself... if memory serves me I do not recall seeing this pattern in any of the other wing types i.e. AC, AG,... if you have some examples please post them.

Cheers

John

post-227-1274228367.jpg

rustywings

Nice wings John! A very handsome design. Now you're tasked with finding a matching Glider Pilot wing to complete the set!

Russ

John Cooper
Nice wings John! A very handsome design. Now you're tasked with finding a matching Glider Pilot wing to complete the set!

Russ

...working on it Russ!

...working on it Russ!

I have a theory that despite profound differences in the wing pattern, the Juarez wing, the "Bell wing" and the unknown wings (that I will call Bell#2) are from the same maker.

First, the Juarez wings were more than likely made by Walter Lampl. I still feel that they may have been made in Mexico during the war when Lampl moved some of his jewelry making business there because of Stateside limitations on resources and man power (we have a whole thread on this crazy theory of mine). However, it was also argued by Joe W that this was not true, but Lampl made had his wings made in New Jersey. Also, it was argued that he had simply bought a bunch of silver coins and had them melted and used that for making his wings--thus the "coin silver" hallmark.

The "Bell" wings, I have been told, are called that because someone found the wings on a card that attributed the company to the Bell Trading Post Co. Not sure if that is true or not, but for what ever reason, the name seems to have stuck. IIRC, the Bell Trading post was located in New Jersey...

If you happen to have an example of these three wings, and you can study them, one thing that is striking is how much they share in quality of workmanship, finish, detail, hardware, etc. Toss in any other wing (like a Balfour or AMCRAFT) and you will see how these three (the Juarez, and Bell, Bell2) compare to each other. They just FEEL like they may have been made by the same person.

Although not clear in these scans, in many of the Bell 1 and Bell 2 patterns, you will find very fine lines (feathering) on the feathers. Something that I have never seen on any other wing pattern than these two.

post-1519-1274419479.jpg

The similarities between these three wings are even more apparent from the backs. The metal used to make the wings is almost mirror smooth, the strikes are always very clean, the finish is always a rather rich oxidized patina, and the wings do not seem to have been "frosted" or given another type of finish. The two Bell wings even have the same "STERLING" mark.

post-1519-1274419682.jpg

But what really fostered this theory that the Lample "Juarez" wings, the Bell 1, and the Bell 2 patterns were from the same place (maybe from a factory in New Jersey), is the similarities in the hardware.

1) All three wings are typically found with a rather thin brassy pin.

2) The catch has a roller that is frequently lost.

3) The hinge is for all practical purposes the same in these wings.

In these scans of the back, it is almost impossible to tell one from the other.

The first is Bell 1, the second is Bell 2, and the third scan is Lampl.

post-1519-1274420213.jpg

post-1519-1274420219.jpg

post-1519-1274420228.jpg

So, it is my crazy theory that the two "Bell" wings and the Juarez wings are related somehow. Maybe they were made by the same manufacturing shop in New Jersey? But, if you have those three patterns, go ahead and compare them side by side and see if you don't find plenty of similarities between the wings? For me, the gstalt of the wings have always made me think they were from the same place.

P

So, it is my crazy theory that the two "Bell" wings and the Juarez wings are related somehow. Maybe they were made by the same manufacturing shop in New Jersey? But, if you have those three patterns, go ahead and compare them side by side and see if you don't find plenty of similarities between the wings? For me, the gstalt of the wings have always made me think they were from the same place.

P

See the 6th statement in the Jewelry article HERE

It's a living history file at the U of Northern Arizona (IIRC) where several old timers, including Navajo silversmiths are discussing their recollections of times gone by. Bell and wings are mentioned.

Personally, based entirely on the very similar and unique wing feathering treatment and same pins, I think the Bell 1 & Bell 2 patterns were made by the same producer. I'm less convinced that Lampl was a part of the group, other than perhaps having used the same pin supplier...which could well have been Mexican. There are some well done essays on Lampl written by collectors of his jewelry that mention his foray into Mexico City. IIRC, he simply contracted with one or more of the well established Mexico City based silver jewelry producers to make some things for him.

PS