KIA CAPT. EARL ENROUGHTY 4TH ID 1944

marineamtracer

marineamtracer

The IDPF for Capt. Earl W. Enroughty finally arrived yesterday!! Ten months of waiting was somewhat worthwhile though. Sorry for the poor picture but with my one good arm this is about as much as I can handle right now. It's not the most excitting of uniforms but it is legit. I took a chance on it from "the blue background" ebay guy. (can't remember his user id) anyway when I looked at it and searched the name I went after if I remember correctly was the only bidder. Anyway looks like Enroughty did in fact go from replacement depot officer to replacement himself. He was KIA while serving with 2nd Bn. 12th Inf. Reg. 4th ID on December 3, 1944 in Germany. The documents from his disenterment to be reburied in the US list him with H Co. however all other paperwork lists either 2nd Bn. HQ or A Co. 12th Inf. Not sure what all that confusion is about unless he bounced around from one command to another before being KIA. Anyway he was returned to the states in 1947 by his mother. Looks like his wife had since remarried by the other papers inside. By the nature of his wounds that are listed I think he was killed by a mine or possibly something high velocity. Maybe not the most excitting of uniforms but I'm proud to have the honor of remembering and displaying another KIA in my collection. This makes 5.

post-5994-1273850754.jpg

Great uniform with a sad history. Nice pickup.

Quoting from the History of the 12th Infantry, the 2nd Battalion was attacking in the Hurtgen Forest along the Hurtgen-Germeter road; the 3rd Battalion got held up by mines and automatic weapons fire-

"Only the 2nd Battalion succeeded in making and holding any gain, but Co. H lost its valuable and experienced commander when Capt. Earl W. Enroughty was killed."

Also, just checked the appendix where there is a partial roster-- Enroughty is listed in the HQ 2nd Battalion section rather than the Co. H section-- he was possibly temporarily assigned from battalion staff to lead the company.

marineamtracer

Capt. Axe thanks a million! I assumed that this accured in the drive through the Hurtgen. Early days anyway. Also failed to mention that Enroughty was a Silver Star recipient. Does anyone have access to that citation? Again thanks a million Axe! That's fantastic added information!

marineamtracer

Jim,

Thanks a million! I'd searched for the last year for info on him and was comming up pretty dry although I hadn't checked recently. This is great stuff!

marineamtracer

Seeing as that courts martial case was 1943 with H Company 12th Inf. I'm wondering when he was with Repalcement Depot? Unless the uniform was used by someone else. I don't think so though seeing as it is only named to him with his serial number and in his list of personal effects is listed only 2 dress uniform jackets. Who knows...St. Louis of course was useless on any information about him.

You can send for the GO at this address:

National Archives at College Park

8601 Adelphi Road

College Park, MD 20740-6001

They are pretty quick with these requests. The last medal I bought, I ordered the GO the same day and received the GO before the medal!!