2 replies to this topic

#1 redjoshman

redjoshman
  • Members
    • Member ID: 5,574
  • 213 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 01:58 PM

Hello,
I just recently picked up a 1903 Springfield with Winchester A5 Scope. From what I've read the Marine Corps adopted this as their "sniper rifle system" in about 1912, and that some were used in France. I also have photographs of Marines training with these rifles in 1917 at both Quantico and their Training Camps in France.

My question is does anybody have any sources that might give a hint to the distribution of these rifles in the Battalion(or even Regiment), what would have been issued with the rifle/what would have the "sniper" or "designated marksman" worn, and if you had to be of a certain rank(one thing that I am noticing in the training pictures is that nearly all the people photographed are Sergeants of some type)?

Also if you have no idea but could recommend for me a place to start looking for the answers to any of these questions, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Josh

#2 USMC A5 Sniper Rifle

USMC A5 Sniper Rifle
  • Members
    • Member ID: 6,343
  • 104 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 03:23 PM

Josh,

If you will contact me by email (zevron@intrstar.net), I can answer all your questions and tell you exactly what you have. The WWI Marine sniper rifles are rare beyond belief (for good reason).

Jim

#3 redjoshman

redjoshman
  • Members
    • Member ID: 5,574
  • 213 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 04:14 PM

Josh,

If you will contact me by email (zevron@intrstar.net), I can answer all your questions and tell you exactly what you have. The WWI Marine sniper rifles are rare beyond belief (for good reason).

Jim

E-mail Sent.

-Josh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

In Memory of Co-Founder GREG MILLS ROBINSON, a.k.a. "Marine-KaBar"
(February 17, 1949 - March 5, 2011)