Can someone add a photograph of the type bayonet I used when I was in the service?

kfields

I was assigned to the 16th Infantry, 1st Infantry Division in the mid-70's and we were issued the standard M16A1 rifles. Occasionally they would issue out the bayonets during training. Any absolutely exact recollections of them on my part is somewhat fuzzy.

I seem to recall they had leather washer handles, nice blade and I think they were made by Colt but can't say for sure. I remember thinking at the time that they seemed very well made. Definitely not the hard rubber black grips. They remind me of the M4's. I'd like to pick one up but I'm not confidant in my memory to be able to select the correct bayonet.

Can anyone help with a photo of the bayonet, scabbard as well as markings and other details to look for? Thanks! Kim

The last leather gripped bayonet issued by the US was the M-4 below

post-912-1184526887.jpg

During the mid 70's you should have been issued an M-7

Jim

post-912-1184526963.jpg

Greg Robinson
I was assigned to the 16th Infantry, 1st Infantry Division in the mid-70's and we were issued the standard M16A1 rifles. Occasionally they would issue out the bayonets during training. Any absolutely exact recollections of them on my part is somewhat fuzzy.

I seem to recall they had leather washer handles, nice blade and I think they were made by Colt but can't say for sure. I remember thinking at the time that they seemed very well made. Definitely not the hard rubber black grips. They remind me of the M4's. I'd like to pick one up but I'm not confidant in my memory to be able to select the correct bayonet.

Can anyone help with a photo of the bayonet, scabbard as well as markings and other details to look for? Thanks! Kim

The USGI bayonet for the M16A1 rifle was the M7 but it had black plastic handles and a six inch blade made to the same pattern as on the M4/M5/M6 bayonets and M3 trench knife. But there were none of those that had a leather handle. In the early '60's when Curtis LeMay ordered some AR15's from COLT there was a bayonet made by them to go with the rifles and it had a very unique looking green plastic handle but I can just about guarantee that you didn't see one of those in the mid '70's.

Scabbard was the M8A1.

If you had a bayonet that looked like the M4 then it was not standard issue and I can't come up with what it might have been

Greg

BOB K. RKSS

There was a Leather Handle bayonet made for the M-16: it was experimental; with a "U.S." marked USMC type fighting knife Blade.