Tiffany Marked EGAs

usmcaviator

usmcaviator

Ok guys, I paid next to nothing for these at Pomona and slipped them in a pocket of a dress blue coat I bought and was carrying around. I almost forgot to mention them. From all appearances here are two "Tiffany" marked EGAs. However, I am not sure. There are not too many EGAs that I am not sure about, but these, I just don't know. The guy I purchased them from had other items from what he claimed was the same lot..items from a pre WW2 Marine officer, ribbons, buttons, rank, including a set of second lieutenant "Tiffany" marked rank bars that were polished down to make them first lieutenant. I passed on the bars and other items and snagged these. These both have decent detail to the wings and a pinback Tiffany style catch. They are interestingly marked different. One is marked "TIFFANY & Co" and "BRONZE" to the back, there is a gothic "m" under the word BRONZE, and there is a very finely etched "398" to the anchor stock on one. The other one is a bit different with "TIFFANY & Co" on one of the flukes along with the gothic "m". What I find troubling is the anchor flukes are attached (kinda crude I would think for a quality maker like Tiffany), the pieces show no wear, and the stamping just doesnt seem right to me. I am puzzled. I have seen only a handful of Tiffany pieces.

S/F,
Mike

post-22-0-96370400-1400094822.jpg

usmcaviator

Close up of the catch...looks like a Tiffany to me, anyone else familiar with Tiffany catches?

wow, proof that Tiffany marked emblems exist, great find. No shows ever around here, I used to find good stuff in Raleigh. That catch is indeed what is referred to as 'Tiffany style', so I guess this goes to verify. the glossy finish is interesting

Leatherneck72

I got to see these in person, and I think they are legit 1930's Tiffany commissioning set.

teufelhunde.ret

Congrat's Mike - this is your find of the year! I have no doubt as to their authenticity. Sometime ago I managed to salvage most of my old EGA pic's from ebay onto a thumbs drive, from a hard drive that crashed - data is scattered everywhere. These pic's are of one auction, hope to find more and post. Note the simliarties - esp the anchor stock tipped to the globe. Great find, s/f Darrell

From the auction: Original USMC WWI or earlier EGA. This is the only EGA I have ever seen, including all the books, that is marked on the reverse by "Tiffany & Co.". It also is marked "Bronze" over a "M". Has a nice bronze tone. There is no Cuba between North and South America. Lower fluke is slightly bent but I'm sure it could easily be straigthened out. The pin has been broken off at some period but the catch is intact. This may be your one and only chance to own an EGA made by Tiffany & Co. 1-1/4" high x 1-1/4" wide

Picture2.gif

Picture3.gif

Picture4.gif

usmcaviator
Congrat's Mike - this is your find of the year! I have no doubt as to their authenticity. Sometime ago I managed to salvage most of my old EGA pic's from ebay onto a thumbs drive, from a hard drive that crashed - data is scattered everywhere. These pic's are of one auction, hope to find more and post. Note the simliarties - esp the anchor stock tipped to the globe. Great find, s/f Darrell

Darrell,

I had been looking for my pics of one that sold on E-bay a few years ago and couldnt find them. The photos you posted seal it pretty tight, the two I purchased seem to be a dead ringer. Thank you for the addition.

S/F,

Mike

teufelhunde.ret

Mike, I'll keep looking for the rest, but the thumb drive is a mess & I'm not sure every pic made the xfer. s/f Darrell