AEROSOL INSECTICIDE, WWII "Bug Bomb"

rambob

I was digging around in my first aid bin and found this hiding in the bottom. I had forgotten I even had it and if this item has been covered before, then I apologize. I bought this "Bug Bomb" for a few dollars many, moons ago and when I got it home I was curious about whether it was still charged or not. So I took it out to the backyard and from a safe distance turned the knurled knob remotely. The instructions say the "juice" inside is harmless, but remember that this is the era when they were using DDT in their "cooty powder" as an insecticide. Well, to my surprise, it was still fully charged and even with the valve open for only one second, put out a pretty good cloud of bug juice for having been made in 1945. The little tank is an individually serial numbered, well made/heavy duty item and about 8.5 inches in length. Just another one of those off beat items you stumble onto while collecting WWII militaria.

Bob

post-299-1273413179.jpg

craig_pickrall

Interesting item! Since it is USN and painted grey do you thing it was something used aboard ship or do you think it was for land based use?

Craig, Great question!! I would say for use with the navy forces that would have been ashore, like maybe the Seabee's.

Bob

• 4 years later...

Picked one up yesterday. Slightly different markings and NXSX number. Interesting--it does not state what the contents are. Only that the contents are non-toxic and non-flammable. And--to only be used on mosquitos. BTW, I did not try to open mine. I found a site that said they contained either DDT or Pyrethrum. Instructions state how much time to spray in tents, so most likely used ashore as rambob said.

Thanks, Al.

post-12790-0-24568600-1430525406.jpg

post-12790-0-93921100-1430525421.jpg

post-12790-0-67184900-1430525436.jpg

This is way cool. Is there a safe way to dispose of the pressurized contents? I have heard of old units like these rusting out from the inside and exploding under their own pressure unexpectedly...

This is way cool. Is there a safe way to dispose of the pressurized contents? I have heard of old units like these rusting out from the inside and exploding under their own pressure unexpectedly...

Interesting thought. I'm by no means an expert on that subject, but if the container did rust through, wouldn't it just release the contents, no different than releasing the contents through the nozzle? I guess it might depend on how much is released at any one time. Maybe an EOD type member here can comment on this. Thanks, Al.

Quartermaster

This posting reminded me that I have two of those "bug bombs" too! The one I can access quickly is gray, marked USN and dated 6/45 - - yep, mine is full of juice too! They must have cranked out a ton of these items (or possibly didn't use many of them). I believe my second one is gray too so probably USN. I would guess that it's possible that rusting/corrosion could break down the container but this container is sturdy - it's very heavy for its size and the heft indicates very thick construction material.

All this brings me to an junior version of this item - one that I include in an PTO officer's footlocker display.

ind-insecticide-box-front.jpg

ind-insecticide-box-back.jpg

This is a cardboard box containing 3 Individual Insecticide Sprayers. The box is approximately 2 1/2" X 3 3/4" X 7/8".

It is stated the each sprayer is good for "a room, tent or fox hole up to about 12 ft. sq." Active ingredients include DDT and Pyrethrum extract - a couple of the "wonder chemicals" of WW2!

Inside was a cardboard insert holding the 3 sprayers.

ind-insecticide-box-with-in.jpg

ind-insecticide3-tubes-remo.jpg

Each sprayer is basically the same size as those CO2 cartridges used in various life vests/preservers.

ind-insecticide-single-unit.jpg

All you have to do is aim the thin stem away from you and snap the tip off the cartridge - the pressure pushes the insecticide out to kill those nasty beasties!

Ronny67, You bring up an excellent point that over time these canisters may inadvertently dump their contents due to failure of the container. Just being paranoid, I am going to move it out of my first aid bin and quarantine it where if this happens, nothing else would get ruined. Right now, the very heart of my first aid kit collection is in the bin with it.

Bob

Ronny67, You bring up an excellent point that over time these canisters may inadvertently dump their contents due to failure of the container. Just being paranoid, I am going to move it out of my first aid bin and quarantine it where if this happens, nothing else would get ruined. Right now, the very heart of my first aid kit collection is in the bin with it.

Bob

Well, It is a VERY cool item! It deserves to be with the rest of your collection. But these things are very old, and its contents are still under pressure. Maybe you can take it outside, and slowly release the pressure. It will not hurt the item's value. I see it kind of like a live Grenade. You can own one, and you can take all the precautions, but these things are just old. We don't know how stable they are, so most collectors prefer de-milled ordinance to live examples. That is why I would not pay less for an empty example compared to one still under pressure. I hope that makes sense.