12 replies to this topic

#1 GLM *Deceased*

GLM *Deceased*

DECEASED

• IN MEMORIAM
    • Member ID: 84
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 03:00 PM

Shown is the WWII "Economy Plastic" Enlisted Service Cover Emblem. I am not exactly sure which year the plastic pattern was adopted, but I believe it to be sometime in 1943, or shortly after war time strategic metals bans on bronze and brass went into effect.

The only differences noticed in the plastic cover emblems I have encountered are colors, which range from medium chocolate brown to very dark brown (almost black). Also observed are two distinctly different rollers, with one pattern having a shorter finger-thumb grip. >>>---> Gary

Attached Images

• plastic_cover_fr.jpg
  • plastic_cover_rev.jpg
  • plastic_cover_rev_02.jpg
  • plastic_rollers.jpg

#2 GLM *Deceased*

GLM *Deceased*

DECEASED

• IN MEMORIAM
    • Member ID: 84
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 03:19 PM

Also of interest, embossed numbers will be found on the reverses of the "economy plastic" cover emblems. Some collectors believe these numbers are maker's codes, but I believe they are nothing more than production run numbers to be used in case of high numbers of breakage or other defects in any given production run. So far, I have encountered numbers 1, 2 and 4 with a 2 to 1 find rate on 4's over the other numbers. If anyone has numbers other than what are shown, please let me know, so I can add those to my records. >>>---> Gary

Attached Images

• plastic_1.jpg
  • plastic_2.jpg
  • plastic_4.jpg

#3 Brig

Brig

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 22
  • 21,270 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 02:54 PM

here is mine, also a triangle 2 marking...has a nice curve to it

Attached Images

• Plastic_Cover_1.jpg
  • Plastic_Cover_2.jpg
  • Plastic_Emblem_3.JPG

#4 USMCRECON

USMCRECON
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,107
  • 4,488 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 01:12 PM

I just got the EGA below. I've had a pair of WW-II plastic lapel EGAs for some time but was not previously aware that the Marines also had plastic EGAs for the service (barracks) cover. Exept for the size, the fouled anchor, and the fact that the eagle's wings bent backward (and the size, of course) it looks just like my plastic lapel EGAs.

Any comments?

Plastic_Cover_EGA1.jpg
Plastic_Cover_EGA2.jpg
Plastic_Cover_EGA3.jpg

Edited by USMCRECON, 09 November 2007 - 01:13 PM.

#5 cbuehler

cbuehler
  • Members
    • Member ID: 643
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 02:32 PM

The cap ornaments are harder to find than the collar size. I have a uniform to a 2nd MarDiv Corporal that has all plastic ornaments (cap and collars) which is unusual. I have heard these plastic pieces were somewhat unpopular with many Gyrenes and probably many were replaced with the bronze when possible.
For awhile these plastic egas were fetching pretty good prices, but they seem to have gone down quite a bit over the past couple of years.

CB

#6 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 376
  • 21,501 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 10:59 AM

These emblems are a very unique piece of wartime economy measures. The substance is actually Bakelite as is still used today to manufacture various products. Unfortunately they were not "Marine proof" thus did not last very long. More broken piece abound than those intact. They can be hand in sets for a reasonable price. That will change, as the EGA hobby advances and folks realize the diminished numbers in existence. Gary is attempting to determine the numbering system associated with the collar series, a link below.

Collars: http://www.usmilitar...p?showforum=509

Edited by teufelhunde.ret, 27 March 2008 - 10:10 AM.

#7 Brig

Brig

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 22
  • 21,270 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 09:00 AM

I bought one a few years back, as well. I see them fetching from 60-75 bucks at shows. As stated, they're more uncommon than their collar counterparts

Nice example http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif Mine curves the same way, and is marked in the same place

mine is on the first link Teufelhunde.ret has provided

#8 robert60446

robert60446
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,829
  • 573 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 09:29 AM

Hi guys,
I was just reviewing this thread about plastic EGA’s and Gary was puzzled by numbers on the reverse side of EGA (1, 2 and 4). I strongly believe these are not manufacturer’s codes, but rather mold numbers. Even today it is a common practice to number injection molds used by makers. Any other thoughts?

#9 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
  • 21,501 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 09:57 AM

Robert... Thats an inquisitive thought and suggestion that had never crossed my mind and certainly deserves more consideration. The possible (and likely) merit to your suggestion is the type of marking that were exhibited on the reverse of the cap emblems. I presume that mold numbers were very much in use for tracking wear patterns as well as final product quality controls.

You may very well have stumbled onto something... I love it....! Hope to hear the thoughts of others. s/f Darrell

Edited by teufelhunde.ret, 01 April 2008 - 09:57 AM.

#10 robert60446

robert60446
  • Members
  • 573 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 10:03 AM

I presume that mold numbers were very much in use for tracking wear patterns as well as final product quality controls.

Darrell, you are absolutely correct. Molds are usually numbered to help to track any production errors to the source – in this case mold. It is especially useful practice in mass production to ensure production quality. This could be also answer to why number 3 is not very common, maybe because mold #3 was faulted (or maybe was held in reserve).

#11 robert60446

robert60446
  • Members
  • 573 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 03:10 PM

Hi guys,
Finally I have my M37 Plastic Cover Cap. It is with small crack visible on the reverse, but hey, I’m not going to complain…

Attached Images

• 1937_Cap_Cover_Obvesre_copy.jpg

#12 robert60446

robert60446
  • Members
  • 573 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 03:11 PM

Reverse

Attached Images

• 1937_Cap_Cover_Reverse_copy.jpg

#13 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
  • 21,501 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 05:51 AM

Fellow forum members:

You are in the Marine Corps EGA reference section. This area is were posts from the Marine Corps, USMC EGA discussion section are moved for permanent retention and education about the history of the Eagle, Globe and Anchor. As time moves forward there maybe additional information the EGA Moderators wish to add or will add to this specific post. We ask for your input as well.

We encourage further comments about this post and its content. In order to do so, you will need to start a new post in the USMC EGA discussion area which is listed in the main page under insignia. And as needed we will be pleased to move any new and or valued information that is derived from your post (and subsequent comments) into this reference area as its own standing post.

Please be advised; posting and or editing is restricted on Eagle, Globe and Anchor emblem threads; to moderator's and forum staff.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users