MODEL OF 1905 BAYONET SA 1918

Greg Robinson

Greg Robinson

Here's a nice example of a WW1 production of the bayonet made for the Springfield Model of 1903 rifle. A relative few of these made it "over there" during the war and it was mostly prewar "bright blade" 1905 bayonets which saw action in France. But these WW1 vintage US arsenal made bayonets were reissued for WW2,

post-4-1184345106.jpg

post-4-1184345196.jpg

Greg,

A very nice clean example of this bayonet! What year(s) do you think these bright bayonets were first blued?

Greg Robinson
Greg,

A very nice clean example of this bayonet! What year(s) do you think these bright bayonets were first blued?

All of them by 1917 were blued and the arsenals continued to blue them in 1918. By 1919 they were all being parkerized.

Greg

My Blued Blade is a 1917. I know alot were refinished by parkerizing. How rare is a blued blade and whats it worth?

The Army refinished everything(almost) in 1927. That is when the vast majority of the 1911's were converted to 1911A1 configuration and the 1903 Springfields were parkerised. The "Bright Blade" bayonets are only blued to about an inch to an inch and an eigth below the cross guard, the rest of the blade is in the white and polished. Those bayonets will sell very easily for between 400 and 650 depending on condition and date. Rock Island bayonets tend to bring a little more.

Gary

My Blued Blade is a 1917. I know alot were refinished by parkerizing. How rare is a blued blade and whats it worth?

Greg Robinson

It's tough to find one with original blued finish. They made thousands of them in 1917 and 1918 but many were refinished in parkerization. Original blue finish was a "wartime" finish having an almost black look to them and they lacked the polished look of earlier bayonets. But there does exist bright blue finish blades reportedly refinished overseas. None of the blued ones are as valuable as bright blade M1905's but I would value them ahead of those refinished in parkerization or even those originally parkerized.

Greg