Navy battle lanterns

River Rat 1

It's the metal WW2 battle lantern that used used the no6. dry cell the chinese make the only one and I read they leak so the D Cell converter one's look like the way to go plus D cell's are easy to find and cheaper to replace than the cheap chinese copy of the dry cell no.6.

http://www.prc68.com/I/No6.shtml

Bakelite has to be carved, not molded.

River Rat 1

I got the drycell adapter today they take one D cell battery per adapter so a total of two D cells battery's was needed to get the battle lantern to work.Had to replace two of the connectors to the wire's and she works.

P7105320.jpg

P7105321.jpg

P7105323.jpg

What's the point of having it if it's not in operating condition.Had two replacement bulbs but the original bulb still works.Think I would devalue it if I clean up the case and repaint it haze gray.

After I got out of the Air Force I operated molding machines that molded the bakelite parts for circuit breakers. It came as granules in bags, the machine would drop a measured amount in a hot mold (400 degrees +) and the mold would close with tons of pressure, forming the part.

• 3 weeks later...
I got another WW2 battle lantern today and it is black. Here it is next to my red one.

SANY0221.jpg

I have two WWII battle lanterns like these, one light grey and one dark grey. I was told by an old sailor that the color depended on what level and station on the ship it was kept and used. He told me several different colors and what level, place they were located. I don't remember now , but maybe someone will know.

• 2 years later...

Does anyone know how to tell which battery type a lantern takes? I want to pick up a WW2 battle lantern, and was wondering if I could find one that takes the square lantern battery shown above. Some descriptions say they haven't open the light so if anyone can give me a quick tutorial about them it would be very helpful.

• 7 years later...

Here is mine in the corner of the photo. Mine works the light bulbs can still be found and there a kit that looks like the old dry cell where you put in two modern batteries. I repainted mine. Here is a link the price went up a little you might find it cheaper else were. Self Winding Clock Co. Battery (timesavers.com)

IMG_0736.JPG

Oh man, I've wanted one of the old type lamps since seeing one at a flee market 15 years ago. I wasn't working at the time so passed up spending $ on something that wasn't gas or food. Darn it all, a week later I was gainfully employed again. That was the last time I saw one locally and have been hoping to see another one since, but no luck. 

Mikie

Mikie

Before I moved to Montana, I lived in Livermore not far from you. I found mine at the antique fair at the old Alameda Naval base think it's the first weekend of the month. I got it cheap maybe 20-30 bucks go early the early bird catches the worm. There are two military shows in the area one in Hayward and the other in San Jose if I remember been gone a while from the bay area. Good hunting you might get lucky like I did.

Here is a WWI(?) lantern ...aluminum body with brass screws/hardware and data plate...in the process of cleaning it, the white stuff in the bulb area is a glazing/sealant compound dryed out and flaking off from the inside behind the glass

Switch is a push pull design

tried flipping it on the bay, I am glad it didnt sell....

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

6 hours ago, phantomfixer said:

Here is a WWI(?) lantern ...aluminum body with brass screws/hardware and data plate...in the process of cleaning it, the white stuff in the bulb area is a glazing/sealant compound dryed out and flaking off from the inside behind the glass

Switch is a push pull design

tried flipping it on the bay, I am glad it didnt sell....

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

Very nice lamp. I haven't seen one like this. 

mikie

On 12/19/2021 at 1:39 PM, River Rat 1 said:

Mikie

Before I moved to Montana, I lived in Livermore not far from you. I found mine at the antique fair at the old Alameda Naval base think it's the first weekend of the month. I got it cheap maybe 20-30 bucks go early the early bird catches the worm. There are two military shows in the area one in Hayward and the other in San Jose if I remember been gone a while from the bay area. Good hunting you might get lucky like I did.

The one I saw was at the DeAnza college flea market in nearby Cupertino. It's been closed since the pandemic began. So has the San Jose show.  Not sure about Hayward and Alameda. Thanks for the heads up about them. 

Mikie

• 1 year later...

Been bored lately on YouTube they have old reruns of sea hunt that old scuba diver TV show about diver Mike Nelson I use watch it as a kid in the 1960's. Think it came out in 1958. When there diving, they use these old Navy WW2 metal battle lanterns to dive with made me think they had to be pretty waterproof.