Blues USAF Uniform question

Ricardo

Hi All,

In the war movie "The Hunters" (1958) the actor Robert Mitchum as Major Cleve Saville:

micht1qe1.jpg

Notice the ribbons in USAF Blues uniform...

micht2qy5.jpg

Please, it´s correct in Korea War Era one ribbon of the French Croix de Guerre in this position in the USAF ribbons set?

Best regards,

Ricardo.

That's Hollywood: if Alan Alda can do the entire Korean War with a 1980's haircut, then an on screen Air Force officer can wear whatever costuming thinks looks good.

alda_alan_1975.jpg

Saw a "WWII" movie a while back where the actors wore M65 field jackets.

Obviously the French WW-II CdG should follow the lowest US decorsation in the ribbon rack. However, Hollywierd has never been accused of being absolutely accurate on virtually anything. I suspect they thought the colors wend well together in that partivular order. :rolleyes:

Hi All,

Thank you!

I like to observe military uniforms in war movies...and I noticed that only uniform wrong in this movie was used for Robert Mitchum (and still lacks the WW2 Victory ribbon in the set)...I was curious! ;)

FYI - still in the movie Major Cleve Saville gains a Silver Star and plus a DFC.

NICE movie!

Best regards,

Ricardo.

Just FYI, for decades, it was illegal to show actors in complete and correct uniform, the same way it was illegal to show actual US currency. They got around the 'money' problem by using obviously fake money.

The uniforms were a tad different, they had to be creative, and that usually meant when doing a set of dress uniforms with ribbons, that those ribbons would be wrong in precedence or order usually, or something else would be out of place. That way they could use the original stuff and make it look 'right' for the most part, while still complyiing with the law. I believe this only applied to the 'dress' uniforms though.

Just FYI, for decades, it was illegal to show actors in complete and correct uniform, the same way it was illegal to show actual US currency. They got around the 'money' problem by using obviously fake money.

The uniforms were a tad different, they had to be creative, and that usually meant when doing a set of dress uniforms with ribbons, that those ribbons would be wrong in precedence or order usually, or something else would be out of place. That way they could use the original stuff and make it look 'right' for the most part, while still complyiing with the law. I believe this only applied to the 'dress' uniforms though.

Hi Jason,

That is total new for me!!! w00t.gif

Has years I observe war movies looking for errors in the uniforms .... pinch.gif

Best regards,

Ricardo.