WWI era Signal Corps grouping with Photographer and Signal Corps wing

rustywings

rustywings

Gents,

I'd like to share a small WWI era US Signal Corps grouping I picked up several years ago. I'm hoping you can help me identify the two wings which came with the two son-in-service window banners. The Aerial Photographer wing is just under 2 inches in width and has a downward pointing bakelite style camera marked "U.S.A.". The Signal Corps wing is a one-piece design with blue enamel in the center around the crossed flags and is approximately 2 1/2 inches wide. Both pins are very detailed and well made. Are these sweetheart pieces? Or do they represent something more? Possibly an aerial photography class graduation pin? Your help is appreciated.

Russ

IMG_1086_crop.jpg

rustywings

Back of the Aerial Photographer wing. Hallmarked "B.B. Co. STER."

IMG_1117_crop.jpg

rustywings

Back of the Signal Corps wings. Hallmarked "STERLINGTON" with an open "C" style catch.

IMG_1118_crop.jpg

rustywings

This photo did not come with the grouping, but it sure seems to tie in with the era and design of the aerial camera depicted on the wing badge.

IMG_1112_crop.jpg

:unsure:

Russ, thank you immensely for starting this thread! I've got one of those badges too but have never been able to trace its actual history; however, the design and construction suggests that they could actually date back to WW1. Eastman had an aerial camera in 1918, but I don't know what it looked like, and they also operated an Aerial Photographer school at Langley Field, VA during the war.

Maybe the camera profile on the badge is that of an actual camera used during the war so maybe; just maybe, an antique camera buff will see this thread and throw in their opinion? Sure hope so.

:huh:

post-4542-1272814860.jpg

post-4542-1272814873.jpg

rustywings

Cliff, thank you for your response. The terrific photograph you posted certainly depicts a similar style aerial camera. Any ideas about what the wing with crossed signal flags might be? Here's a little better image.

IMG_1163_crop.jpg

rustywings

I see there's a nice photograph included in a grouping currently listed under the "For Sale" section of the Forum. Under groupings for sale, click on "WWII early cold war photo and uniform grouping" to view the picture I'm referring to. The photograph depicts a variety of military aerial cameras. None are as old or identical to the camera illustrated in the center of the wings we are discussing...but certainly fits into this thread's topic, as well as the current thread covering USN Aerial Photography winged badges.

flyingfortress

I believe the hallmark B.B. Co. on the back stands for Bastian Bros. Co., Rochester, NY.

Nice grouping!

George

rustywings
I believe the hallmark B.B. Co. on the back stands for Bastian Bros. Co., Rochester, NY.

Nice grouping!

George

Thanks George, I appreciate the hallmark identification. Is see the Bastian Bros. Company has been around since 1895 making political campaign buttons, police and fire badges, trophies, and U.S. military insignia.

Russ

Cliff, thank you for your response. The terrific photograph you posted certainly depicts a similar style aerial camera. Any ideas about what the wing with crossed signal flags might be? Here's a little better image.

Russ, I've no idea what that badge with the Signal Corps flags represents; however, I did find a better example of the photograph seem in Post #8 showing an aviator with his aerial camera. In the credits at the top of the better photo it states that it was actually taken at the U. S. School of Aerial Photography, Langley Field, Virginia (operated by Eastman Kodak); therefore, because the camera in the photo resembles the one on the badge made by Bastian Brothers, it only reinforces my belief that it is an official badge awarded to graduates of that school.

Cliff

post-4542-1273133197.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
rustywings

I agree Cliff...The camera illustrated in your most recent posting sure looks like the camera depicted on our wings. Thank you for sharing it.

Any other WWI era pictures of U.S. Army Aerial Photographers out there with similar cameras being used?

Any photography buffs out there who can identify what type or model camera is being used in Cliff's picture?

Your ideas and opinions are most welcome.

Interesting topic. Here is a link to Smithsonian site dealing with early aerial equipment development--some good pictures here:

SMITHSONIAN LINK

Kodak would have been the most substantial company working on the project, but Graflex might have been in there too. There were also a number of European makers such as Zeiss, maybe Rollei and Contax that could have been in the mix at that early date.

rustywings
Interesting topic. Here is a link to Smithsonian site dealing with early aerial equipment development--some good pictures here:

SMITHSONIAN LINK

Kodak would have been the most substantial company working on the project, but Graflex might have been in there too. There were also a number of European makers such as Zeiss, maybe Rollei and Contax that could have been in the mix at that early date.

Thank you Paul. The Smithsonian link does indeed have some nice images of old aerial photographers. I appreciate your efforts.

Russ

• 2 weeks later...

SMITHSONIAN LINK

A terrific find Paul and very much appreciated. Some of the pictures in that link only reinforced my belief that the badge found by Russ was connected with the U. S. Army School of Aerial Photography.

Cliff :thumbsup:

post-4542-1276240168.jpg

• 7 months later...

Any ideas about what the wing with crossed signal flags might be?

No idea, but the torch behind the two signal corps flags suggests it may have something to do with a school.

cp

:bye1:

Russ,

Check out the different aerial cameras seen in this group photo that had been offered on eBay.

Cliff

Hello Cliff,

That's one heck of a collection of aerial cameras displayed in that photo! I get a kick out of the fact the image is somewhat out of focus and there's lots of movement going on with the crew. You would think a group photo of a bunch of semi-professional photographers, would be sharp and pristine!

I assume those with white aprons on are dark-room techs. The fellow standing in the middle row, third from the right, has a curious wing attached to his overseas cap. Could that small wing, by chance, be an aerial photographer badge?

Thanks for sharing this unique photo.

Russ

The camera profile on your pin reminds me of the "L" type as seen in this photo from Gorrell's. Note the propeller attached to the U bracket & cable.

-Chuck

post-518-1296698927.jpg

You would think a group photo of a bunch of semi-professional photographers, would be sharp and pristine!

Yeah, it must be like those folks who live in Washington DC, but have never gone to the Washington Monument. Those guys who made a living taking pictures, screw up and take bad photos! :lol: