Dad's WWII Airborne uniform

Greg Sebring

This will look familar to those from other forums. The maniquin and boots are setting on a piece of WWII reserve chute nylon. This outfit belonged to my father who recently passed it on to me. The P.38 he personally took from a German POW during the Bulge.

Greg

post-118-1167517599.jpg

His face looks so familiar. =p That is amazing to have the uniform and the history to it. Especially being it is your father that puts it even higher. I am lucky to have some of my relatives items but none so complete as that. Excellent!

Wow that is the nicest uniform I have seen in a while. I never find them with the original vet attached. I would keep that grouping together for as long as you can.

:D

Greg Sebring
Very nice uniform! Very nice...

Which regiment was he in?

Dad was in the 82nd Airborne, 319th Glider Field Artillery, "A" Battery. He was in the signal section doing a variety of jobs. He laid/repaired the wires from the gun sections back to the switchboard (fire control) , did some forward observing, etc.

One thing I learned from talking to dad was they very seldom used radios for communication due to the German's ability to home in on radio signals. Dad added they would shower you with 88's if you tried wireless communications for fire missions.

Greg

Greg,

I never get tired of seeing this uniform. You are indeed very lucky to have it. Protect it, and show it off every chance you get!!!

usmcraidergirl
Wow that is the nicest uniform I have seen in a while. I never find them with the original vet attached. I would keep that grouping together for as long as you can.

:D

Couldn't have said it better myself! thumbsup.gif

Greg, I wonderful piece of history. I'm probably the only one who missed seeing it on the other sites you referred too! Can you elaborate a bit on where and when he served ? Thanks! Kim

Greg Sebring
Greg, I wonderful piece of history. I'm probably the only one who missed seeing it on the other sites you referred too! Can you elaborate a bit on where and when he served ? Thanks! Kim

Kim,

Here is a "cut and paste" from a post a couple of years ago. You can also search the WAF site and search "319th" for a listing of my of dads photographs checking for my name as the "poster". I don't think it would appropriate to pack this site with the same photos

Greg

First, I must say I'm quite proud of Dad so if I get wordy please pass it off as just an admiring son...

Dad was in the 82nd Airborne, 319th Glider Field Artillery, A Battery. He landed on the Normandy Peninsula, June 6, 1944 around dawn not far from Ste. Mere Eglise. The 82nd liberated the town from the Germans and went on disrupt communications and create general havoc for the Germans to keep them from reenforcing the beach defenses. Once the Normandy campaign gained a strong foothold, he was shipped back to England to prepare for the Holland invasion. Dad sat in the co-pilots seat of the CG4A glider going into Holland (Operation Market Garden). He was assigned there because prior to his enlistment, he worked at the B-24 Liberator plant in Willow Run, MI. He installed the de-icing boots on the front edge of the stabilizers and some interior wiring. The rational they used to put Dad in the right seat was they told him you worked on bombers so you have more airplane experience than anyone else here!! Dad has told me that on the inbound flight the tow rope between the glider and the C-47 was made out of nylon and stretched considerably. coiled around the tow rope was a communication wire that allowed the glider to talk to the tow plane. Dad had the headphones on and when the flak started coming up heavy, the tow planes increased speed to the point they were were flying faster than the loaded gliders were designed for. The vibrations were shaking the gliders severely. Dad said he told the tow pilot to slow down as their airspeed was in the red and the glider was badly shaking. The pilot responded,"You're coming with us so hang on". Dad said a flak shell burst between them and the tow plane and a piece of it struck the tow rope causing it to unwind a bit. They were able to release the tow rope and glide down toward the landing area. Dad said the pilot appeared to freeze up a bit as they were landing in a field with an approaching tree line and there wasn't enough room to safely land. When Dad saw the pilot not taking corrective action, he grabbed the wheel yoke and pulled it back all the way. Luckly, they had enough airspeed to climb up over the treeline then stall and sort of pancake into the adjacent field. Upon landing, the glider was not in trim and side skidded to a stop with the runners cutting a nice shallow trench before stopping. This was fortunate because it gave them some cover from the Germans who were spraying the field with machine gun fire. Their objectives were to secure the bridges at Nijmegen and Grave. The 319th fired 34,000 rounds of 75mm from their pack howitzers during the Holland campaign and was awarded the "Order of William" (Orange lanyard) to be worn of their uniforms.

The medals Dad was awarded were all common: ETO campaign ribbon with one invasion arrowhead and four battle stars, the Good Conduct Medal, an Army of occupation medal with "Germany" clasp, and the WWII Victory medal. He qualified for the Purple Heart due to catching some schrapnel in his butt but never turned the paperwork after treatment to the Aid Station to get credit for it. He said he felt embarrassd at the time to get a medal for something like that. In retrospect, he wishes he did receive it as all awards were worth so many points and the guys with the highest point total got to come home first. Dad made it through the Bulge and crossed the Rhine near Cologne before meeting the Russians at Ludwigslust. He finished his tour in Berlin harassing the Russians like you wouldn't believe.

Hi Greg,

Great family history!!! My father served in WW2 too and Germany occupation (long time - 1940-48)!!!

He died in 1998 ... now he is resting in the sky with other Airborne colleagues.

Thank you for sharing!!

Best regards,

Ricardo.

• 1 year later...

Hi Greg:Just came across this posting,i have to say what a great picture, to see your Dad and his wartime uniform together. Aproud moment....517th

Never let go of that uniform! History like this belongs with the family that made it.

Have you ever considered trying to get your dad that Purple Heart? Is there any refference to his being wounded in any records he still might have? If so a call to your congressman might be a good place to start.

Greg Sebring

I'm hitting nothing but dead ends on the PH. I tried writing to one of the medics in dad's outfit only to find out that he passed away about 8 months ago. Dad is definitely deserving but without out the proper verification (and rightly so) from a first hand witness, I'm afraid all dad can get out of the whole affair is the memory of a medic pulling the shrapnel out of his butt cheek. Dad says he was too embarrassed at the time to turn in the paperwork he was given by the medic that treated him. He thought being wounded on the backside wasn't "brave" enough or he wondered what people would say when he told them of his injury. I guess this sort of attitude was prevalent for this generation and they never considered the random effects of incoming enemy artillery rounds. Dad jokes about it today but I know he wishes he would of handled it differently.

here is a closer look at the uniform I've posted several times in the past. I have created a "mini" museum of just Dad's items that I hope stay in the family as an intact unit....at least that is my plan. Thanks for all the kind comments....pretty obvious I'm a proud son

Greg

post-118-1213588734.jpg

Something you might want to consider. Get your Dad to record on tape what he did in WWII -- Everything from induction to separation, to include his thoughts on jump school, etc. I did this with my Dad and one of his buddies. Both are gone now. If you have not already done this, trust me, you will be very happy you did down the road.

Greg Sebring

TJM,

My "Computer-Tech" son-in-law has a half dozen micro cassettes he is putting on disc for me already. I have recorded many of dad's experiences and written down many more. Two weeks ago dad gave me his scrapbook and photo album to "take what I wanted". I have been framing maps and papers he brought back. Right now, I am getting his original Glider and Parachute certificates framed for display. His parachute certificate was signed by the Commanding General of the 82nd, MG James Gavin. I also am getting a two sided frame for a silk map he brought back of southern France. He was never in southern France and said his silk map of Normandy was "ripped off" on the return voyage home. Who knows where he got the Southern France map??

I like your idea of induction to separation... All I have been doing to this point is letting him ramble. I think I'll try your time-line idea.

Greg

Guest Photographer

Now that is as complete a grouping as one can get. Right down to the GI.lol It is a beautiful piece. and priceless since it is your family. Love the pics. Never seen it before. Did he still have any of his knives? Wondering if he carried one of those paratrooper switchblades? Any way it is very nice and I like it a lot.

Greg Sebring

Photographer,

....no switchblade.....he bought this blade in Baltimore just before shipping overseas to England. He told me he got it in a hardware store for $20.00 probably early 1944. That's a lot of $$$ for 1944.....said it fit his hand better than the issue blade at the time. It's a 1902 cut off Krag bayonet.

Greg

post-118-1213733801.jpg

Croix de Guerre

Greg, Please do me a favour. Please shake your father's hand and thank him for my freedom. Tell him that it was from a greatful American. God Bless.