The reason I collect militaria

MattOravik

I just joined this forum so I thought I'd post what started it all for me. This is the reason I collect militaria. I wish I could say this was my Grandpa's original uniform but it's not. He saved his until the 1980's then it disappeared. Luckily he kept his medals and some patches. I bought this war dated Ike and put his original pieces on it to display them. Not something I do normally, only for him.

post-137-1167516650.jpg

post-137-1167516672.jpg

post-137-1167516715.jpg

post-137-1167516732.jpg

Sounds a lot like my story... My grandpa was Armored, and his uniforms went "missing" (uncle with an addiction looking for a few bucks). He is currently trying to get a set together to be buried in.

This is the reason I started collecting. My Great-Uncle James Smith. He served in the Aleutian Islands during WWII. I also did not have his uniform, so I purchased one that had the same patches and added the ribbon bar.

post-100-1167519813.jpg

post-100-1167519779.jpg

I just joined this forum so I thought I'd post what started it all for me. This is the reason I collect militaria. I wish I could say this was my Grandpa's original uniform but it's not. He saved his until the 1980's then it disappeared. Luckily he kept his medals and some patches. I bought this war dated Ike and put his original pieces on it to display them. Not something I do normally, only for him.

Matt,

I see nothing wrong with this. The medals and patches were his, and I think for the number of uniforms that some guys went through, no big deal. To me, it's the ribbons and insignia that are really important.

Is your Grandpa still around?

grandpasdisplay.jpg

2nd Armored, 66th Armored, Tank Commander

- D-Day+3

- Head wound at Carnetan, France

- Walter Reed Hospital, D.C. (coma for 2 months)

- Security Detail for Manhattan Project