• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 erctut1

erctut1
  • Members
    • Member ID: 11,587
  • 391 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 06:11 AM

My Grandpa gave me these about 20 years ago and I have no idea what branch they are from or even if they are military. Any information would be great. Thanks! Eric

1B1.jpg

1B2.jpg

1B3.jpg

Edited by cutiger83, 23 May 2014 - 06:44 AM.
updating dead photobucket links 5/23/2014

#2 Lee Ragan

Lee Ragan
  • Members
    • Member ID: 97
  • 3,125 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 06:31 AM

The sergeant shown at the top has the look of private contractors made WWI chevrons, but the color combinations do not look Army or Marine Coprs. The Bottom chevron has chain stitch out-lines on the stripes and the stiching looks like what was used on the 1872 "Johnson", pattern Army chevrons. Early 20th century Army dress blue infantry chevrons had light blue stripes on the dark blue, but no chain stiching around the stripes. I'm inclined to think both of these are probably law enforcement chevrons from the early to mid 20th century, or possibly military school chevrons. I wouldn't rule out use by a state guard or militia organization.
I have some chevrons in my collection that at first look appear to be Army, but the color combinations just don't jive with what the Army used. In Emerson's book, he references the many Army style chevrons worn by organizations as I mentioned above, and the difficulty in identifing many of them. :think:

#3 erctut1

erctut1
  • Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 03:17 PM

Thanks for the reply. I'll have to ask my Grandpa and see if he rememebers.

#4 erctut1

erctut1
  • Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 08:22 PM

One of my Great Grandfathers work at the Chicago Quartermaster Depot. I wonder if they are from there?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users