1st Air Commando Group?

Bluehawk

Came across the photo of the jacket below, belonging to John Leslie "Jackie" Coogan (1914-1984) child film star and Addams Family member (Uncle Festus), while building a Remembrance for him at:

http://airforce.togetherweserved.com/profile/118413

He was a CG-4 glider pilot in the 1st ACG, Wingate's Chindits, in the CBI area of operations (have not yet figured out for sure what his final rank was).

My question is, Has anybody ever see one of those patches in the flesh?

post-3976-1272070373.jpg

I believe I saw this jacket on display many years ago at the Silent Wings Museum when it was at Terrel, Texas. I did an Internet query and this museum has moved to Lubbock, Texas. I don't know if they still have this jacket on display but you can probably email them and inquire.

http://www.silentwingsmuseum.com/MUSEUM%20...ORY/history.htm

That particular jacket, with some info, is featured in one of Jon Maguire's Schiffer US flying jackets books.

Sabrejet

Johnny Signor

That jacket at one time was on display in the USAF museum in Ohio, I saw it there a few years ago, also saw an original patch (not for sale) of this emblem some years ago at the EAA fly in at Lakeland Florida.

Saskatoon Light Infantry
Came across the photo of the jacket below, belonging to John Leslie "Jackie" Coogan (1914-1984) child film star and Addams Family member (Uncle Festus), while building a Remembrance for him at:

He was a CG-4 glider pilot in the 1st ACG, Wingate's Chindits, in the CBI area of operations (have not yet figured out for sure what his final rank was).

Yes Bluehawk, I have seen several of these original patches.

I am lucky enough to have a 1st Air Commando Group with one of the Squadron patches. I used to use the sguadron patch as my avatar here.

There is a photo of a fake in the Fakes section where somebody was recently at a show looking at fake patches that were being sold as repros- so you might want to look there.

Allan

Thanks everyone for sharing on this.

I had looked for the patch in some of the usual online places and came up with all kinds of Squadron but not this particular Group piece.

I'm sorry the photo is so small.

It must be quite a nice piece, and rather scarce I would guess.

Yes Bluehawk, I have seen several of these original patches.

Have you got a decent photo of yours that can be posted here?

I'd love to see what it's actually like, if possible.

My photo is very poor.

This is the fake that Tonomachi put in the fakes section. I am attaching it here so you can see the design a little better.

I can't get to my patch for at least a week, so you'll have to settle for this, unless Mort or someone else has a squadron patch that they can post.

Allan

post-151-1272155353.jpg

I've seen this patch once or twice which I couldn't afford as it is real expensive. There are a bunch of copies out there and here are a few more. The printed one is supposedly an RKO Movie Studio copy.

post-1389-1272166967.jpg

post-1389-1272166975.jpg

post-1389-1272167025.jpg

post-1389-1272167033.jpg

Thanks for going to the trouble you guys... I really appreciate it.

I'll get it entered into the AFTWS matrix of available patches this morning.

While on the subject, can anyone shed some light on this insignia,

also associated with the 1st Air Commando Group?

Bob

post-6249-1272222773.jpg

The patch shown is for the Chindits.

Much obliged!

While I'm at it I might as well go for broke.

Is this second image familiar to you?

post-6249-1272231812.jpg

• 1 year later...

I just found this discussion on the 1st Air Commando glider patch. I've always been a fan of the CBI and would like to find a good replica copy of that patch. If anyone has any suggestions please let me kinow.

thanks!

vostoktrading
While on the subject, can anyone shed some light on this insignia,

also associated with the 1st Air Commando Group?

Bob

Here's a Chindit patch.

post-7885-1318467929.jpg

• 1 year later...

That jacket at one time was on display in the USAF museum in Ohio, I saw it there a few years ago, also saw an original patch (not for sale) of this emblem some years ago at the EAA fly in at Lakeland Florida.

The jacket is still at the USAF Museum:

http://www.nationalm...sID=1508&page=5

The "knife" on the donkey's mouth is a khukri. They were very popular with the Allied troops in the CBI. While part of the Ghurka equipment, Americans and British Commonwealth troops loved them too. However, at least for the Americans, they were a private purchase.

post-70-0-26440900-1354074796_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...

I believe that you may be asking about the patch offered on eBay-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WWII-Glider-Pilot-Airborne-Paratrooper-Patch-1st-Air-Commando-CBI-/181579963352?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a47025bd8#ht_63wt_1362

This patch was NOT an original and somebody spent what would have been a bargain for a real one, but in the end, nearly $200 for a reproduction.

I've attached a couple images for posterity.

Allan

post-151-0-07836100-1417204208.jpg

post-151-0-30287900-1417204222.jpg