• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Carter

Carter
  • Members
    • Member ID: 8,459
  • 100 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 01:08 PM

I was given the holster by an active duty MP who was dating my sister in 1960 who said they had several more in the arms room in orig blue striped clear cellophane bag like the one this came in. When I ask why black and not brown or tan he said the were orig black for WWII MP use and were not used because the post war ones spit shined better.

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n62/fortyfivelive/IMG_2306.jpg

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n62/fortyfivelive/IMG_2308.jpg

#2 pompa mike

pompa mike
  • Members
    • Member ID: 8,565
  • 41 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 02:01 PM

Nice 1911, nice rig. Sure looks like a 44 boyt to me. It would have been brown origionally but sometime during the 50's they changed to black. When I was in the Army in the early 80's it was still pretty common to see WWII holsters that had been dyed black. That slide on your 1911 looks to be a pretty early one. Thanks for sharing the photos.

Mike

#3 tsellati

tsellati
  • Members
    • Member ID: 5,225
  • 1,968 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 06:05 PM

Carter,

Beautiful presentation :thumbsup: . I sure would love to see some close up pictures of the pistol and learn more about it.

Tim

#4 Carter

Carter
  • Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 08:23 AM

Thanks Mike and Tim. The 1911 was a DCM purchace of mine from 1961 which had been rebuilt at Rock Island and has the inspection stamp " RIA FK (Frank Krack) and came two toned as shown. I still have all the orig shipping paperwork in my name. I'll get some more shots when it stops raining, outdoor daylight pix are better than indoor artificial light ones.

Mike, did the WWII MPs use brown or black holsters?

#5 pompa mike

pompa mike
  • Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 09:56 AM

Carter, I really don't know what color leather they used in WWII, I think they even used white in certain areas so I'd guess they might have used black. I know the MP's sorta went the extra mile with the polish and shine. Thanks for the info on the 1911, you've had it for awhile. I like all the world war two info, but the 1911 and 1911A1 are the most interesting to me. I only have one A1 but it is my most prized possession. I'm working on getting some pictures out but I'm not quite as smart as my computer at this moment. Looking forward to seeing more of yours.

Mike

#6 Carter

Carter
  • Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 12:32 PM

Thanks again Mike, yeah I have had it for years and put many rds. through it, back then it cost $17.00 shipped and came Railway Express, that's right, ON THE TRAIN to Aberdeen Md. no Fedex or UPS then.

#7 pompa mike

pompa mike
  • Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 05:28 PM

Thanks again Mike, yeah I have had it for years and put many rds. through it, back then it cost $17.00 shipped and came Railway Express, that's right, ON THE TRAIN to Aberdeen Md. no Fedex or UPS then.

Well it's gone up from $17.00 as you well know. Today I saw an early 1911 that had been rebuilt with a slide from the 50's and had WW II grips trigger mainspring housing etc, It was in nice shape, $995.99. And this is at a shop where the owner is one of the most honest people I've met.

Mike

#8 Carter

Carter
  • Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 04:35 AM

I was not thinking about investments when I sent the money for the pistol, but has done so much better than any Wall Street stocks I have ever owned. The Remington 03-A3 I also got through the NRA has likewise far out paced any thing I have ever bought. Years ago the NRA did study and determined collector firearms increased in value at a greater rate than art work, diamonds, stocks/bonds and most of other things that people put their cash into, wanting a good return. Wish I could have bought several of each but it was one only and it took nearly a year after the money was sent before delivery.

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n62/fortyfivelive/IMG_2336.jpg

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n62/fortyfivelive/IMG_2335.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users