Korean WAR 45th Infantry Div. Kodachrome lot

R Michael

Hi all Thought I would post a few from my new grouping. Picked this one up off ebay and it from a 45th vet taken while in Korea 51-53. Some interesting shots in the grouping. Hope you all enjoy and as always comments and information always welcome.

Mike

post-1387-1271729732.jpg

Hi

Looks good and in colour. Makes a difference from black and white.

Any near the front shots?

Cheers

Karl

hbtcoveralls
what is this? a recovery vehicle?

Mike

Its an m-39 APC, a turretless version of the M-18 Hellcat tank destroyer used to carry personel and ammunition during the korean war.

Tom Bowers

what is this? a recovery vehicle?

Mike

Did you notice the dog w/ the goggles? And what a small sight picture he's presenting?

hbtcoveralls
Did you notice the dog w/ the goggles?

Of course, that was part of the OVM (on vehicle material) and was issued one each- Dog, Pet. :D

Tom Bowers

Hey Karl, how ya been? :) I just have scanned about 30 out of 150 but it looks like the majority are rear areas. I will keep posting the more interesting ones.

Tom, thanks! I can now see that it resembles the M-18. I shoulda picked up on that.

I thought the dog was a nice addition though I have been able to get any dog I owned to sit still wearing anything but what God gave him.. lol

Mike

Cobrahistorian

Was this the 245th Tank Battalion grouping that just went on ebay? REALLY nice stuff!

Jon

Jon,

yes it was though I didn't notice that till I got the grouping in hand and started scanning. I was very surprised that I got it for the price I did and am very happy.

Mike

Was this the 245th Tank Battalion grouping that just went on ebay? REALLY nice stuff!

Jon

post-1387-1271850130.jpg

Thanks Mark for the proper ID. I know I do have an M48 or two in here somewhere.. LOL

Mike

Mike, the camo'ed tank in post #4 is actually an M-46. Great photos, thanks for sharing, Mark

• 7 months later...
...this 2 star Genral looks familuar but I could not find him after a quick search on the net...

How about Maj. Gen. Robert S. Beightler (ca. December 1945)?

post-1963-1291528345.jpg

How about Maj. Gen. Robert S. Beightler (ca. December 1945)?

post-1963-1291528345.jpg

GREAT photos!

I think Wailuna nailed it again. Ribbon rack is slightly off, but 6-8 years later you would expect it to be.

Rank-Major General

Commands held-37th Infantry Division

Battles/wars World War One

World War Two

-Bougainville,

-New Georgia

-Manila

Awards -Distinguished Service Cross

-Distinguished Service Medal

-Silver Star

-Purple Heart

-Legion of Merit

-Combat Infantryman's Badge

...Combat Infantryman's Badge...

Interesting seeing a CIB among General Beightler's awards. Here is a picture of him wearing it.

post-1963-1291763548.jpg

Link here to see a long-running thread on the subject of WWII General's who wore the CIB for combat service they could only have experienced as general officers. General Beightler's picture definitely makes him a member of this small club. Where did you find your info about his CIB?

• 1 year later...
this 2 star Genral looks familuar but I could not find him after a quick search on the net.

Mike

Major General Leo Kerber, CG, 37th Division. Early 1950s shot

Interesting seeing a CIB among General Beightler's awards. Here is a picture of him wearing it.

post-1963-1291763548.jpg

Link here to see a long-running thread on the subject of WWII General's who wore the CIB for combat service they could only have experienced as general officers. General Beightler's picture definitely makes him a member of this small club. Where did you find your info about his CIB?

Right, Beightler was THEE ONLY original National Guard Divisional commander to retain command of a National Guard Division, not only after a year or so after the NG Divisions where federalized but for the entire war, under Beightlers command the Buckeye Division established itself as one of best Infantry Divisions in the Pacific. Beightler was one of those Generals who would be seen routinly in the most foward of areas, sometimes even engaging in a fire fight on some occasions, here is one photo, I doubt it was staged to any great degree, it was taken on Bougaville while he was upfront in the 148th Infantry Area.

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=general+bei...=1t:429,r:6,s:0

Looks like a 3 color camo was applied to the Sherman as well. Sweet pics. I know this is a necrothread but more pics? Seeing the color is fantastic!