Recorked and restored

Grant G.

I bought this helmet on ebay it had the biggest dent I've ever seen in a helmet however it was no problem for a hammer. I won it for 12 dollars and figured I'd restore it here you go.DSCF3307.jpg

DSCF3308.jpg

DSCF3309.jpg

Nice one,you done a good job.......I have seen a lot worse, from so called "Expert restorers" ;)

Good on ya Mate :thumbsup:

Nice one,you done a good job.......I have seen a lot worse, from so called "Expert restorers" ;)

Good on ya Mate :thumbsup:

Thank you very much gaz :lol:

Corpsmancollector

Looking good! If you don't mind me asking (I've got a fixed bail shell to restore) how did you choose your cork and where did you obtain it? I know J Murray sells it (and I assume it is the correct size) but I'm thinking of using model railway 'fine cork' made by Javis.

Good job anyway!

Will

Looking good! If you don't mind me asking (I've got a fixed bail shell to restore) how did you choose your cork and where did you obtain it? I know J Murray sells it (and I assume it is the correct size) but I'm thinking of using model railway 'fine cork' made by Javis.

Good job anyway!

Will

Hey Will, I'm only 16 so I don't really have forty bucks to drop on a bag of J Murray cork :lol: so I take a different approach. When ever my parents finish a bottle of wine, or whenever I'm at a family gathering, I always go arround and collect the corks to all the wine bottles. I take a piece of cork and grate it on a cheese grater (I usually use about two corks per helmet (with plenty of cork left over). I take the grated cork and sift it through a small mesh strainer (for consistency). I put the sifted cork (which should feel like powder to the touch and also stick to your palms if your hands are sweaty) into an empty seasoning shaker. I then paint a stripped shell with Krylon flat olive drab (using a brush). When the paint is still wet I shake the cork onto the wet paint (this process can be messy, but do not do it outside since the wind will ruin your results). once dry I rub off any loose cork and then paint a couple coats with krylon flat olive drab paint (spray). I'm sure railroad cork would work just as well but it may not be cheaper. - Grant :thumbsup:

DSCF3315.jpg

DSCF3317.jpg

DSCF3316.jpg

By any chance do you have any photos of the “before” restoration? If so that would be a great comparison. Gregg

I'm sorry Gregg, I do not but I will be doin another one rather soon and I will take pictures. There is a reenacting website which has step by step instructions and their technique is similar to mine. -Grant

Helmet restoration

nice work, but it could use some dried dirt to simulate age

I have contemplated leaving it out in the rain for a couple of days! :lol: -Grant

:thumbsup: Bravo Grant! Last week I did exactly the same thing! We must have been

reading the same forum at the same time.I decided the night before just to see if the

Wal-Mart had what I needed,I got a bag of 6 bottle corks.the grader,salt shaker,Krylon

Camo OD and I was set.I had no problems outside,just waited for the wind to die down

some.Started the next morning and that afternoon I had 2 restored fixed loop helmets.

You can't tell any difference between my 2 and either one of Josh Murray or ATF. I've

never been a artsy crafty type guy and all thumbs to,so if I can handle it,no problem.

It's also a whole lotta fun,you wouldn't think it,but it is.

:thumbsup: Bravo Grant! Last week I did exactly the same thing! We must have been

reading the same forum at the same time.I decided the night before just to see if the

Wal-Mart had what I needed,I got a bag of 6 bottle corks.the grader,salt shaker,Krylon

Camo OD and I was set.I had no problems outside,just waited for the wind to die down

some.Started the next morning and that afternoon I had 2 restored fixed loop helmets.

You can't tell any difference between my 2 and either one of Josh Murray or ATF. I've

never been a artsy crafty type guy and all thumbs to,so if I can handle it,no problem.

It's also a whole lotta fun,you wouldn't think it,but it is.

That's great! Good work Mr.Jones! -Grant

Corpsmancollector
Hey Will, I'm only 16 so I don't really have forty bucks to drop on a bag of J Murray cork :lol: so I take a different approach. When ever my parents finish a bottle of wine, or whenever I'm at a family gathering, I always go arround and collect the corks to all the wine bottles. I take a piece of cork and grate it on a cheese grater (I usually use about two corks per helmet (with plenty of cork left over). I take the grated cork and sift it through a small mesh strainer (for consistency). I put the sifted cork (which should feel like powder to the touch and also stick to your palms if your hands are sweaty) into an empty seasoning shaker. I then paint a stripped shell with Krylon flat olive drab (using a brush). When the paint is still wet I shake the cork onto the wet paint (this process can be messy, but do not do it outside since the wind will ruin your results). once dry I rub off any loose cork and then paint a couple coats with krylon flat olive drab paint (spray). I'm sure railroad cork would work just as well but it may not be cheaper. - Grant :thumbsup:

DSCF3315.jpg

DSCF3317.jpg

DSCF3316.jpg

Grant, that's genius! I had never thought of using a bottle cork and a cheese grater, I'll have to give this a go! :thumbsup:

When I do my next shell in a few weeks time, I'll try and post a how to or something.

Thanks for the inspiration, Grant!

Grant, that's genius! I had never thought of using a bottle cork and a cheese grater, I'll have to give this a go! :thumbsup:

When I do my next shell in a few weeks time, I'll try and post a how to or something.

I think you need to use the coarser/bigger of the 2 grates?

See this link for some close-up pics of the original cork finish on an absolutely mint Schlueter:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...lueter,and,mint

Greetz ;)

David

I think you need to use the coarser/bigger of the 2 grates?

See this link for some close-up pics of the original cork finish on an absolutely mint Schlueter:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...lueter,and,mint

Greetz ;)

David

Hey David, I use the very smallest side of the grater and those are the results i get, cork that has beeen grated using the large side is much to large- what looks small in your hand will look huge on a helmet, since the cork absorbs some paint and expands.

-Grant :thumbsup:

Thank you very much! -Grant

Great job, the helmet looks great! :thumbsup: Thanks for sharing your corking method.

Michael

Thank you very much Michael -Grant

Brian Dentino

Grant, just a great job! The lid looks great, and very industious of you to use wine cork to redo it. Brilliant work, and it looks great! :thumbsup:

Hi Grant.

Great tips,and as before a great finish, the cork and cheese grater idea is genius.

In the past I tried to, produce fine particled cork for a restoration job......I used my wife's food blender, and er,well she was'nt too pleased about it.....she made this quite clear "I'm not happy,about you using my blender". I replied "Me neither ,the corks far too big,your blender, is clearly not up to the job" :lol:

Anyway I digress, keep up the restoring ,Grant, your an inspiration,to the next generation of collectors. :thumbsup: