Missing war films

GITom1944

ustpatcher1a

""Cold War Movies"....ww3...Third world war."......one of my favorites---Ice Station ZEBRA.

panzerbait

How about the Gary Cole vehicle, "Son of the Morning Star?" I'm not a 7th Cav Reg't expert, but I thought that this TV miniseries was done rather well and that Cole portrayed a pretty decent Custer. I know that it has been out on VHS for some years now, but not DVD.

John

Amen to this one. Perhaps the best portrayal of the Battle of the Little Big Horn ever put on film (unless you're a huge fan of Little Big Man...) It's a travesty that this hasn't been made available on DVD or Blu-ray. And if they wanted to go to the cutting room floor and add another hour to it, I would be okay with that.

ustpatcher1a

Came out during the Vietnam anti war times in Hollywood, "Kellys Heros" was not one of my favorite war films.

Only good as a 'farce' or 'parody' in my book.

The last film my WW2 vet dad and I saw together and enjoyed was 1969 Oscar winner, "Patton".

I know that film dialogue by heart and bought the sound track to play WW2 Avalon Hill board games to.

An old one I'd like to see again is "Winged Victory" which was a stage show and later a film. Any one know if it's available? Bobgee

Oops! I checked my DVD copy of "Son of the Morning Star", and it's a copy from either TV or a tape. Sorry for the mis-information in my previous post.

• 2 weeks later...
dogfacedsoldier

How about Eight Iron Men a Lee Marvin movie about the fighting in Italy. Very well done and looks good. Probably many in the cast were vets. Richard Kylie was one of the actors.

dogfacedsoldier

I forgot to add I have Once An Eagle on DVD. They cut out a lot, Damon winning the MOH and other parts. I saw this several times after it was shown, cut too much out. No reasoning behind the cuts. IOffer might be a good place to look for movies. I always liked In Love and War , also written by Anton Meyer. Bradford Dillman and Jeffrey Hunter. I would like to see a DVD copy of Gettysburg taken from TNT, where they restored a lot of the footage, I saw it on TNT much later with restored footage. I saw scenes that I was in that had been cut. I would also like to find a DVD copy of Class of 61.

I would like to see a DVD copy of Gettysburg taken from TNT, where they restored a lot of the footage, I saw it on TNT much later with restored footage.

I'm not 100% sure of the specific version you mentioned but they did release an extended version on DVD and Blu-ray...

dogfacedsoldier

It was shown several different years on TNT. It was the miniseries with restored footage, an awful lot of it. Maybe nearly an hour of it. I saw several scenes I was in or saw being filmed. It was a TV only thing. I was on the last time they showed it on TNT. I have all the DVD versions except for Blu-ray. I found a guy on IOFFER with Waterloo no subtitles. I've delt with him before. He's ok with me.

The Challenge 1970 starring Darrin McGavin and Mako

Gallery, a US commando, and Yuro, an enemy commando, are sent to a no man's Pacific jungle island to capture a crashed US space satellite. Whoever survives, wins. Their nations have agreed to this to avoid war, but they cheat.

post-1885-0-63042000-1437532027.jpg

That's the one where Darrin McGavin has two Madsen SMGs mounted together side by side. One for shot cartridges and one for ball. An interesting movie. Kind of representing the "Cold War" in a movie.

Ok, I apologize if I missed them on this thread.... There was one called VERBOTEN, which had a lot of Constabulary scenes in it. Also, there was one about the 3rd Infantry Division in WWII. I always recall it being called the young lions or young warriors but I could be wrong. There was a guy named Hacker in it. I thought it was a knock off of to HELL AND BACK. Anyone?

The Challenge 1970 starring Darrin McGavin and Mako

Gallery, a US commando, and Yuro, an enemy commando, are sent to a no man's Pacific jungle island to capture a crashed US space satellite. Whoever survives, wins. Their nations have agreed to this to avoid war, but they cheat.

Wow I remember this, haven't seen this one in a long long time, I think the early 80s.

I remember Gavin wears Duck Hunters, not sure of course if they were WWII Marine/Army or contemporary commercial Nam types, probably the latter I would think..

post-34986-0-05331300-1438025314.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Challenge_%281970_film%29

Ok, I apologize if I missed them on this thread.... There was one called VERBOTEN, which had a lot of Constabulary scenes in it. Also, there was one about the 3rd Infantry Division in WWII. I always recall it being called the young lions or young warriors but I could be wrong. There was a guy named Hacker in it. I thought it was a knock off of to HELL AND BACK. Anyone?

Here it is, it's from 59.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verboten!

Here's two images from it, the first one was posted some where once, I think in the Hollywood Patches 2 topic (real army unit patches used in movies and T.V. as opposed to phony/made up ones) in the Shoulder Patches Forum.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/11/movies/homevideo/11kehr.html?_r=0

• 8 years later...
Salvage Sailor
On 7/21/2015 at 7:30 AM, dogfacedsoldier said:

How about Eight Iron Men a Lee Marvin movie about the fighting in Italy. Very well done and looks good. Probably many in the cast were vets. Richard Kylie was one of the actors.

EIGHT IRON MEN - Lee Marvin (American WW2 film 1952)

Salvage Sailor

Steve McQueen - Hell is for Heroes

I have an old DVD copy

Writer Robert Pirosh was a former master sergeant with the 35th Infantry Division in World War II. He gained a reputation after writing the script for the 1949 film Battleground, about the American 101st Airborne Division paratroopers’ defense of Bastogne, then writing and directing Go for Broke!, a 1951 war film about the famed 442nd Regimental Combat Team. Soon after Hell Is for Heroes, he created the World War II TV series Combat!. Pirosh based some of the events in his film on his unit being withdrawn from the Vosges area to move towards the Battle of the Bulge, with their former positions in the line held by a small force in a then-classified deception operation. Pirosh based Nick Adams' Polish character on an actual displaced person who followed his unit around

Cast

Steve McQueen as Private John Reese

Bobby Darin as Private Dave Corby

Fess Parker as Technical Sergeant Bill Pike

Harry Guardino as Sergeant Jim Larkin

Bob Newhart as Private First Class James E. Driscoll

James Coburn as Corporal Frank Henshaw

Nick Adams as Homer Janeczek

Mike Kellin as Private Stan Kolinsky

Bill Mullikin as Private Joe Cumberly

Joseph Hoover as Captain Roger Loomis

L.Q. Jones as Supply Sergeant Frazer

Michele Montau as Monique Ouidel

Don Haggerty as Captain Mace

"The Last Blitzkrieg" (1959)

Van Johnson

Larry Storch

Dick York

Filmed in Holland

Story of the Skorzeny's Einheits Steilau commandos in US uniforms.

Van Johnson is a English speaking Wehrmacht offizier leading a team into American lines

I had remembered this from a Kid on WWOR-TV

Been trying to find a 1920's silent film "Flappers In Khaki" in the UK (released as "Riley Of The Rainbow Division" in the US)

image.jpg