Missing war films

GITom1944

AMBUSH BAY-Mickey Rooney,Jim Mitchum.Might be on DVD,Been more than

a few years since it's been on TV. TCM seems to always show the same thing

every Memorial Day weekend.This one could be a nice change for once.

ATTACK-Jack Palance,Belle&Blade might have this,anyway been a while on this

one also.This one freaked me out as a kid when Palance got his arm shredded by

that german tank.

I have had that same memory from ATTACK for about 40 years but didn't know the name of the movie until now, maybe it will bring me closure to watch it again !

'Flage Guy

Kjones- No problemmo!! :thumbsup:

Costa- Great pic: "Believe It Or Not", Jed Clampett, and Jerry Lewis' pool-hustler victim ("Family Jewels") :lol:

Darktrooper

You know what movie I haven't seen in a long, long time?

Corvette K-225 with Randolph Scott.

trenchbuff

How about "Captain Eddie" with Fred MacMurray as Eddie Rickenbacker. It was released in 1945 by 20th Century Fox. Saw it as a kid and have never seen it since.

• 6 months later...

1. Strategic Air Command (I think it may be available in a non-Region 1 release)

2. A Gathering Of Eagles

3. Fireball Forward

4. Up Front

5. Back To The Front

All of these are movies I've only seen one time on TV. All were a long time ago - like when I was a teen. ( I'm 58 now)

The Young Lions with Marlon Brando & Montgomery Clift ( the book was much better)

A time to Love and a Time to Die from the book by Erich Maria Remarque (who wrote "all Quiet on the Western Front") Read the book in junior high: The love scenes were really mushy. Just like the bodies emerging from the snow in the spring thaw... (I only saw part of the movie on late night TV one time: mostly it was the mushy love scenes darn it)

In the mid to late 60s I saw a movie titled "Armored Command" It was German, dubed into English. 30 years later I saw the 1956 version of "Stalingrad" (Dogs Do you want to live for ever?) It was pretty much the same movie, but there are specific scenes that I remember from "Armored command" that were not in Stalingrad. Like a kublewagen with massive snowtire chains and flaps that allowed it to drive across the snow... And the piano player actually losing his fingers... ( Hey! I was 13 or 14, we're taliking cool shinola here!)

Piece of Cake a British mini-series about British Spitfire pilots at the start of WWII (the "Phoney War" period, the retreat from France, and only the beginning of the Battle of Britain.) I saw this one on "masterpiece Theater" about 10 years ago. I missed the final episode dang it!

"Home Front" A TV series from the early 90s about a perfectly wonderful small industrial town in Ohio at the end of WWII. The women have been working in the factorys and the men are coming home and taking back the jobs. And not everything is right. (In SO many ways.) Kind of a "the Best Years of Our Lives" remade as soap opera with a really big cast and a whole lot of social issues: I really liked it a lot. And then it was gone. (featured a really young Kyle Chandler who is now in "Friday Night Lights")

These two movies are available as questionable imports, but not US region-produced DVDs. They should be:

• Waterloo (the 1969 version filmed in Russia)
  • The Lighthorsemen

Piece of Cake a British mini-series about British Spitfire pilots at the start of WWII (the "Phoney War" period, the retreat from France, and only the beginning of the Battle of Britain.) I saw this one on "masterpiece Theater" about 10 years ago. I missed the final episode dang it!
I know that’s on DVD, I got it in that format from Netflix last month. I have them all on VHS from when they aired in the early 90s. Still a good series. You HAVE to see the final episode, a lot happens in that one! The funny part was in Masterpiece Theater, they talked at the openings about the impact of the series on the British population and how people HATED the series, saying that it wasn’t possible to have squadron that full of foul-ups in the beloved “Few” that save England. So much hero worship, and active-duty RAF folks said that they all served with people like those on the show many times. Go figure.

market garden

"Once an Eagle" (1976) A TV mini-series with Sam Elliot . I see that it was released in 2010 on DVD. I really want a copy of it.

Capt.Confederacy

How about "Zone Troopers"? It came out around the mid-1980's and was a WWII/Sci-fi film involving a small group of U.S. infantrymen which comes across a crashed alien spaceship behind German lines. Tim Thomerson had the lead role as Sgt. Rock knock-off "Sgt. Stone" and also had Art Lafleur who is better known for being the Tooth Fairy in the "Santa Clause" movies. The movie has a comic book kind of fun charm about it. I saw it back in the 1980's when it was released on VHS, but I've yet to see it on DVD and certainly not on Blue Ray.

Capt.Confederacy

These two movies are available as questionable imports, but not US region-produced DVDs. They should be:

[*]Waterloo (the 1969 version filmed in Russia)

[*]The Lighthorsemen

Amen to that on both counts. I finally came across a good copy of "Waterloo" as an import which was far better than the only copy of the movie I had (full-screen VHS). So far, I still have to rely on my well-worn VHS copy of "Lighthorsemen" which I thought was a far better movie than "Gallipoli".

How about "Zone Troopers"? It came out around the mid-1980's and was a WWII/Sci-fi film involving a small group of U.S. infantrymen which comes across a crashed alien spaceship behind German lines. Tim Thomerson had the lead role as Sgt. Rock knock-off "Sgt. Stone" and also had Art Lafleur who is better known for being the Tooth Fairy in the "Santa Clause" movies. The movie has a comic book kind of fun charm about it. I saw it back in the 1980's when it was released on VHS, but I've yet to see it on DVD and certainly not on Blue Ray.

I have been trying to figure out the name of that movie for a year now, I watched it on some movie channel once. I just looked it up and it says you can watch it throught the netflix instant watch system.

Amen to that on both counts. I finally came across a good copy of "Waterloo" as an import which was far better than the only copy of the movie I had (full-screen VHS). So far, I still have to rely on my well-worn VHS copy of "Lighthorsemen" which I thought was a far better movie than "Gallipoli".
I found a halfway decent Chinese import of “The Lighthorsemen” which was worth the money, it even had scenes my VHS didn’t have (like Dave talking to his parents about signing up and them talking about his dead brother). It’s a muddled movie but the last 40 minutes is amazing.

Piece of Cake has been out on VHS & DVD at one time or another. I borrowed a copy from the library where I work. If its not available now commercially you may want to try your local library. HTH

Tim

Son of the Morningstar has been showing recently on Encore Westerns. I watched it last night. Good movie.
I caught it last week on the encore channel we get with our basic+ service. It was really good, but not quite as good as I had remembered it. I think this is a story that still deserves another effort, something that digital masses of "enemy" for Custer to react to would enhance the visual.

Maybe some people do not know of Belle & Blade, purveyor of many obscure and hard-to-find videos.

Do a google to find their website, in NJ.

They have a very large printed catalog AND if you contact them they may have titles over and above what is listed.

One film i just entered on the thread of "Cold War Movies"....ww3...Third world war...etc etc....cant remember the name exactly....but a good film with David Soul...yes "Hutch"...in charge of soldiers in the Arctic and as i was reminded with Russian Paras coming in...

Saw it 30 years ago on the big 12 inch dvd...remember those...likea record....would really like to see this one again...a long film though

Kev

One film i just entered on the thread of "Cold War Movies"....ww3...Third world war...etc etc....cant remember the name exactly....but a good film with David Soul...yes "Hutch"...in charge of soldiers in the Arctic and as i was reminded with Russian Paras coming in...

Saw it 30 years ago on the big 12 inch dvd...remember those...likea record....would really like to see this one again...a long film though

Kev

As to the length, it was actually a miniseries on ABC in 1982 so it ran over three or four nights.

"China Gate" w/ Gene Barry & Nat 'King' Cole. Been trying to remember the name since this thread started. It's about the French in Vietnam. It is a Sam Fuller pic.