Camouflaged Mosquito cover query

gaz232sqn

Hi Guys.

I just purchased a Camo Mosquito cover ( some say sniper cover,I know this to be a stupid idea)

Here's the really dumb,question,were they issued with slots,for the chinstraps to go through?? :think:

I believe the one I have,is original, and I have read here,and at other sources,that the cover ,would be tucked up inside,I've tried this and the chinstraps,get trapped by the cover ( I did say this was a Dumb,question....so bear with me), I am guessing I have too cut holes,for the chinstraps to go through( not keen on this idea )

Is this what,the Marines would have done ????

Basically what I need to know,is A, Did the originals have slots. B, I am just being thick ( please do not answer this question,as I think I know the answer to this question :blink: )

Thanks guy's for bearing with me,and my potentially stupid questions :thumbsup:

post-9558-1271178648.jpg

post-9558-1271178656.jpg

They didnt come with slits for straps, it was a do-it yourself project for the individual....thats a nice one you have there, i like the colors, they look brighter than some Ive seen.... :thumbsup: ...mike

I believe the one I have,is original...

Don't think it was ever worth faking these.

There are reports of these still being worn in Vietnam.

Here's one being worn on Iwo Jima:

marinemosq.jpg

I had one myself. Only problem was, it was very brittle, if that is the right term to use when refering to cloth items. And when I went to put it on a lid, I pulled it too tight, and the bloody thing riiiiiipppppeeeeeedddddddd :crybaby:

Nice purchase though!

Hi Gaz,

As I understand it these were designed to be worn draped over the helmet, and the little ties were supposed to be tied together under the arms to hold the net down. If you were wearing a helmet the chin strap would be buckled under the net so they were NOT issued with slots for the chinstraps. These were not designed to be used as a helmet cover. However, as the photo above shows they were certainly used that way but it took some cutting to make them fit.

In the past, the ones that I have seen were cut up exactly like Sgt Dorango said, it was do it yourself kit. Some of those I have seen have had holes cut for the chinstraps and the camo net on the bottom was cut halfway off so that it would fit up under the helmet. Also as Hoovie said these are pretty flimsy and they do rip easily, the one in the photo above looks like it is already ripped at the seam, they were not too durable.

Yours is a pretty nice looking net.

Dennis

I got a mint one at the 2009 beltring show, and it doesn't have slots. It came out of a £1.00-per-item pile... :lol:

Greetz ;)

David

Jumpin Jack
Hi Guys.

I just purchased a Camo Mosquito cover ( some say sniper cover,I know this to be a stupid idea)

Here's the really dumb,question,were they issued with slots,for the chinstraps to go through?? :think:

I believe the one I have,is original, and I have read here,and at other sources,that the cover ,would be tucked up inside,I've tried this and the chinstraps,get trapped by the cover ( I did say this was a Dumb,question....so bear with me), I am guessing I have too cut holes,for the chinstraps to go through( not keen on this idea )

Is this what,the Marines would have done ????

Basically what I need to know,is A, Did the originals have slots. B, I am just being thick ( please do not answer this question,as I think I know the answer to this question :blink: )

Thanks guy's for bearing with me,and my potentially stupid questions :thumbsup:

post-9558-1271178648.jpg

post-9558-1271178656.jpg

Gaz, I learned a long time ago that there is no such thing as a "dumb" question (or any other negative adjective, for that matter), merely a question motivated by a lack of sufficient information. We have to ask in order to learn. Jack Angolia

They didnt come with slits for straps, it was a do-it yourself project for the individual....thats a nice one you have there, i like the colors, they look brighter than some Ive seen.... :thumbsup: ...mike

Hi Mike.

Thanks, I am going to take the plunge and cut ,me some DIY slits, the cotton is a little faded,but the nylon,is I guess pretty spot on..

Thanks for your comments/suggestions.

post-214-1271201728.jpg

Thanks Forum support,and good point , and it's handy to know about the Nam aspect,I might stick it on a Nam lid.

thanks again :thumbsup:

I had one myself. Only problem was, it was very brittle, if that is the right term to use when refering to cloth items. And when I went to put it on a lid, I pulled it too tight, and the bloody thing riiiiiipppppeeeeeedddddddd :crybaby:

Nice purchase though!

Hi Mate.

Sorry to hear about the ripping thing,and thanks for your comments :thumbsup:

I got a mint one at the 2009 beltring show, and it doesn't have slots. It came out of a £1.00-per-item pile... :lol:

Greetz ;)

David

Hi David.

£1.00.................. I just payed £20.00 :pinch:

Oh well, just my luck ;)

Thanks for your reply :thumbsup:

Gaz, I learned a long time ago that there is no such thing as a "dumb" question (or any other negative adjective, for that matter), merely a question motivated by a lack of sufficient information. We have to ask in order to learn. Jack Angolia

Hi Mate.

Good answer,I like it... ;)

Thanks a lot :thumbsup:

Hi Gaz,

As I understand it these were designed to be worn draped over the helmet, and the little ties were supposed to be tied together under the arms to hold the net down. If you were wearing a helmet the chin strap would be buckled under the net so they were NOT issued with slots for the chinstraps. These were not designed to be used as a helmet cover. However, as the photo above shows they were certainly used that way but it took some cutting to make them fit.

In the past, the ones that I have seen were cut up exactly like Sgt Dorango said, it was do it yourself kit. Some of those I have seen have had holes cut for the chinstraps and the camo net on the bottom was cut halfway off so that it would fit up under the helmet. Also as Hoovie said these are pretty flimsy and they do rip easily, the one in the photo above looks like it is already ripped at the seam, they were not too durable.

Yours is a pretty nice looking net.

Dennis

Hi Mate.

Thanks.

Your comments are very informative,I assumed they were issued as covers,with the added bonus of mozzy protection. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

As before I am going to bite the bullet,and cut some slits, but I can't bring myself too cutting up the net.

Thanks again...good info ;)

Hi Guy's

Thanks for all your responses, I have got the old scissors out, here is the result :thumbsup:

post-9558-1271270339.jpg

craig_pickrall

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...p?showtopic=969

Follow this link to see more on your cover.

This is an ad from LIFE Magazine dated NOV 30, 1942. It was done by the cover maker and showed the intended usage. I have never seen a photo of one used like this however.

post-5-1271280877.jpg

post-5-1271280883.jpg

post-5-1271280890.jpg

Here's one being used by a Marine in Vietnam.

Hi Justin.

Thanks mate,great period photo,nice one :thumbsup:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...p?showtopic=969

Follow this link to see more on your cover.

This is an ad from LIFE Magazine dated NOV 30, 1942. It was done by the cover maker and showed the intended usage. I have never seen a photo of one used like this however.

post-5-1271280877.jpg

post-5-1271280883.jpg

post-5-1271280890.jpg

Hi Craig.

Thanks for the info, which is very informative.

This Ad,is particularly interesting,as I have reasearched,the cover, and in Mark A Reynosa's book, it say's the manafacturers of these covers,is unknown.

So again, great info, it would be great if there was a photo out there,showing these covers in use,as intended.

Thanks again :thumbsup:

post-214-1271201728.jpg

I just picked one up in a pack from a Marine.He was in from 1979 to 83 or 84.He served in 1st Recon(he stated).He said they were issued as insect nets but were worth less as you couldnt see out of them when worn.

RD

Gaz, if I remember correctly Mark Reynosa's book has pics of this type of cover in wear.

Hi.

Your absolutely right,but the pic is Black and white and a bit grainy,it was taken in Tarawa 1943,and features Marines of the 2nd Marine Div,and it's really hard to tell from the pic, how the marine in question has adapted this cover for use.

The info i got from this book,were that the covers were,ca. 1943-1945.

But I am glad I posted mine ,as I now have a wealth of info :thumbsup:

I just picked one up in a pack from a Marine.He was in from 1979 to 83 or 84.He served in 1st Recon(he stated).He said they were issued as insect nets but were worth less as you couldnt see out of them when worn.

RD

Hi .

That is interesting,as I guess that mean's, they were used,well after they were manafactured!!

Good info sharing,thanks :thumbsup:

Gaz: This isn't the only example, but here is Lt. Col. Evans Carlson at Tarawa Atoll, with the Net-Cover for all to see:

post-3226-1271467586.jpg

There is another Tarawa shot of Carlson, "Red Mike" Edson and a group of Marines questioning a Japanese prisoner which shows the Cover even more clearly.