• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 cutiger83

cutiger83
  • VOLUNTEERS
    • Member ID: 5,589
  • 7,634 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 06:50 PM

I recently picked up this CAP patch in a bag of 13 patches. I am not sure of the era or maker of this patch. It is oval in shape but all of the others I have seen are round. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Kat

cap.JPG

#2 cutiger83

cutiger83
  • VOLUNTEERS
  • 7,634 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 06:51 PM

Back:

cap2.JPG

#3 vostoktrading

vostoktrading
  • Members
    • Member ID: 7,885
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 07:09 PM

Looks like a nice early WW2 patch to me. Jon.

#4 cutiger83

cutiger83
  • VOLUNTEERS
  • 7,634 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 07:16 PM

Looks like a nice early WW2 patch to me. Jon.

Thanks so much for the help. I wasn't sure because of the shape of the patch. Is there a reason why it is not round?

....Kat

#5 vostoktrading

vostoktrading
  • Members
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 07:22 PM

Is it really small? Might be a garrison cap patch. I see loose threads, it looks to me like it was sewn on to something before. The reason for the funny shape may be because it was laundered and it shrank. I like the green back "US". Jon.

#6 Teamski

Teamski
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,043
  • 14,145 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 07:30 PM

That is a beauty of a greenback CAP patch! I'm sure it is distorted from being washed.

-Ski

#7 cutiger83

cutiger83
  • VOLUNTEERS
  • 7,634 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 07:30 PM

It is 3 inches tall, 2 1/2 inches wide at the bottom and 2 inches wide at the top. This is why it is almost like an egg shape. You could be right about the laundering making it shrink. It is smaller at the top of the triangle which could have shrunk more than the bottom (wider) part of the triangle.

Thanks again for your help!...Kat

#8 cutiger83

cutiger83
  • VOLUNTEERS
  • 7,634 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 07:32 PM

That is a beauty of a greenback CAP patch! I'm sure it is distorted from being washed.

-Ski

Thanks Ski. I got a bag of 13 patches for $15. This CAP patch was in with another bag of girl scout patches. When I told the antique dealer that this was a military patch and could I add it to the bag of military patches, they threw it in at no extra cost.

...Kat

#9 lamarhooten

lamarhooten
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,643
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 08:17 PM

Thats a great looking patch! :thumbsup: I am glad you posted this patch as it brings up some questions that i have had about the 'oval' CAP patch question. I have had the oval style one for years and recall (maybe in an old ASMIC TP?) the oval one was the first style made for the CAP. Easier and cheaper to make a round one, so that style won out. Also note the periods after the letters. Just like the early CAP collar devices. Have never heard a good answer either way. There must be a CAP expert some where on this forum. :think: I will have to go back and look at all the old ASMIC TPs and see what i can find. Thanks again for post your patch and keep looking for more! :thumbsup:

Attached Images

• DSC02917.JPG

#10 lamarhooten

lamarhooten
  • Members
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 08:18 PM

more pics

Attached Images

• DSC02918.JPG

#11 lamarhooten

lamarhooten
  • Members
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 08:19 PM

more pics

Attached Images

• DSC02921.JPG

#12 lamarhooten

lamarhooten
  • Members
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 08:21 PM

Here is a bonus pic! :thumbsup: The crazy or 'surfing' beaver patch of the early Oregon CAP!

Attached Images

• DSC02922.JPG

#13 vostoktrading

vostoktrading
  • Members
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 09:29 PM

The odd shape may be because of the unique way it was embroidered. Notice the "corn rows" (for lack of a better description) embroidery on both patches. If both had been laundered and the shrinking occured due to this special weave, it could have caused the patches to obtain their odd shape. Maybe they originally were round like the others. Really nice patches! Jon.

#14 cutiger83

cutiger83
  • VOLUNTEERS
  • 7,634 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 06:10 AM

Also note the periods after the letters. Just like the early CAP collar devices.

I did not notice the difference with the periods being after the letters. Thanks so much for showing your different variations. This is my first CAP patch so I was excited to find it. And it was in a bag with Girl Scout patches too! :lol:

Thanks again, Kat

#15 doyler

doyler
  • Members
    • Member ID: 342
  • 33,882 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 07:30 AM

Kat

Great patch.

RD

#16 luft

luft
  • Members
    • Member ID: 9,521
  • 745 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 09:05 AM

very nice patch Kat ! ;)

Thierry

#17 Lee Ragan

Lee Ragan
  • Members
    • Member ID: 97
  • 3,151 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 10:26 AM

None of the old CAP National patches were ever designed to be oval shaped. They were all round. The First ones were used from Feb. 1942 thru July 1942 (no US below the triangle). The US was added in July 1942 and the ones with periods after the U and S are just manufacturers variations. The one you have was to be replaced in November 1944 with the later design that had "Civil Air Patrol", in white on an attached red tab.
Like the other folks said, the distorted shape of your patch is from hard use and multiple washings. I have several patches in my collection that are distorted in that fashion.
Hope this answers your question.

#18 cutiger83

cutiger83
  • VOLUNTEERS
  • 7,634 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 10:38 AM

None of the old CAP National patches were ever designed to be oval shaped. They were all round. The First ones were used from Feb. 1942 thru July 1942 (no US below the triangle). The US was added in July 1942 and the ones with periods after the U and S are just manufacturers variations. The one you have was to be replaced in November 1944 with the later design that had "Civil Air Patrol", in white on an attached red tab.
Like the other folks said, the distorted shape of your patch is from hard use and multiple washings. I have several patches in my collection that are distorted in that fashion.
Hope this answers your question.

Thanks so much for your help! It does answer my question. As I said, this is my first CAP patch so I was very excited. I am glad that I noticed the blue in the middle of a bunch of green girl scout patches. :w00t:

Thanks so all the great comments everyone. And for showing your CAP patches as well.

....Kat

#19 Lee Ragan

Lee Ragan
  • Members
    • Member ID: 97
  • 3,151 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 10:40 AM

Here is a bonus pic! :thumbsup: The crazy or 'surfing' beaver patch of the early Oregon CAP!

This is the original Oregon Wing patch. Was first authorized in December 1953 and later (at a date I don't know), was replaced by a new design that was circular. The beaver on the old patch was supposed to be riding a jet airplane, but some examples like one of yours leaves that more to the imagination!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users