• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 Eagle's Nest

Eagle's Nest
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,671
  • 523 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 07:35 AM

On my Korean War vintage cover the EGA is just on the front of the beach side. Looks to be stamped by hand rather than carefully applied at the factory in the manner of the manufacturer's contract details.

Sabrejet

Can we have a look?

#22 Ricardo

Ricardo
  • Members
    • Member ID: 202
  • 6,836 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 08:08 AM

Hi,

Please, the drawing of the EGA of my helmet is model of the Korea War?

http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt331/mooymanmilitaria/USMC_M1_5.jpg

http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt331/mooymanmilitaria/USMC_M1_12.jpg

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Best regards,

Ricardo.

#23 Sabrejet

Sabrejet
  • Members
    • Member ID: 8,022
  • 36,159 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 11:16 AM

Hi Ricardo. This looks just like mine as referred to in a previous post...and mine is early 50s dated.

Ian :thumbsup:

#24 Corpsmancollector

Corpsmancollector
  • Members
    • Member ID: 5,339
  • 4,811 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 11:35 AM

There is a cover with an EGA stencil in Moran's first book, but as Leatherneck points out that does not make it of WWII vintage. The EGA does look hand applied and slightly off-centre but it's hard to tell from such a small picture. I know Jim and he would be the first to admit there are numerous mistakes in his books. Not to say they're not great! Until someone provides a clear period photo of a stencilled cover, I'm of the school of thought that it was solely a post-WWII thing!

Here is the plate that Ian mentioned:

26935_383641289919_506814919_3612237_8260170_n.jpg

Sorry it's not of the best quality, it was taken with my phone.

Will

Edited by Corpsmancollector, 09 April 2010 - 11:37 AM.

#25 Sabrejet

Sabrejet
  • Members
  • 36,159 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 11:39 AM

Here's my '53 cover with stamped EGA. (The swirly lines are caused by the HBT weave re-acting with the pixcels!)
2010_1031Patches0009.JPG

Sabrejet

#26 Sabrejet

Sabrejet
  • Members
  • 36,159 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 11:40 AM

2010_1031Patches0012.JPG

#27 Sabrejet

Sabrejet
  • Members
  • 36,159 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 11:41 AM

2010_1031Patches0008.JPG

Sabrejet

#28 Corpsmancollector

Corpsmancollector
  • Members
  • 4,811 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 12:35 PM

Thanks for sharing Ian, that's a nice looking one!

Will

#29 Ricardo

Ricardo
  • Members
  • 6,836 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 02:48 PM

Hi Ricardo. This looks just like mine as referred to in a previous post...and mine is early 50s dated.

Ian :thumbsup:

Hi Ian,

Thanks Mate!! :thumbsup:

Notice the my red marks in the picture ... that is normal?

http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt331/mooymanmilitaria/usmcdoubt.jpg

Regards,

Ricardo.

#30 Ricardo

Ricardo
  • Members
  • 6,836 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 02:51 PM

Another side of cover:

http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt331/mooymanmilitaria/m5.jpg

#31 TLHSS

TLHSS
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,144
  • 537 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 05:01 PM

I'm a bit hesitant to post these ... I tend to be more of a reader / learner than a poster, because I'm not much of an expert in anything (just ask my teenage kids ... they'll confirm I know very little).

I purchased these items as a lot about 20 years ago. Both helmets are fixed bail and very well used (I adjusted the color on the photos to bring out the EGA).

Keep in mind, like Brian (Leatherneck72), I have NEVER seen a WWII period, combat photo with an EGA. I have seen a lot of helmet "bigfoot" photos with EGA, but nothing that was clear enough to confirm the stencil. Would love to see one, but I think it's wishful thinking ... and wishful thinking doesn't make it right.

Be gentle when commenting :)

Tim

usmc_001.jpg
usmc_002.jpg
usmc_003.jpg

#32 Corpsmancollector

Corpsmancollector
  • Members
  • 4,811 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 11:55 PM

I'm a bit hesitant to post these ... I tend to be more of a reader / learner than a poster, because I'm not much of an expert in anything (just ask my teenage kids ... they'll confirm I know very little).

I purchased these items as a lot about 20 years ago. Both helmets are fixed bail and very well used (I adjusted the color on the photos to bring out the EGA).

Keep in mind, like Brian (Leatherneck72), I have NEVER seen a WWII period, combat photo with an EGA. I have seen a lot of helmet "bigfoot" photos with EGA, but nothing that was clear enough to confirm the stencil. Would love to see one, but I think it's wishful thinking ... and wishful thinking doesn't make it right.

Be gentle when commenting :)

Tim

usmc_001.jpg
usmc_002.jpg
usmc_003.jpg

Tim,

Thanks for sharing. That corpsman's jumper is BEAUTIFUL! :jeal0001: (if you EVER think of parting with it, give me a shout!!)

The cover on your first fixed bail looks very similar to the photo I posted above, from Jim Moran's book. It looks to me like the EGA has been done by hand. The second fixed bail is a curious one. I believe the EGA is post-WWII (but I'm not expert at all when it comes to EGAs) and is the shell painted plain white?

Thanks again,

Will

#33 Dave G

Dave G
  • Members
    • Member ID: 4,484
  • 94 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 04:47 AM

I've noticed two types of EGA stamps on helmet covers. One, a slightly smaller version without the scroll in the eagle's beak; the other slightly larger with the scroll present. A review of the examples posted in this thread will illustrate what I'm saying. You see the scrolless version on P1944 covers and the version with the scroll on utility coats produced during the war. Not sure if there is any significance or not but certainly fodder for discussion. Seems to me that it would go a long way to determining when helmet covers started officially appearing with EGA stamps of any kind if someone could find the specs to manufacturers in some archive somewhere. It's a pretty safe bet that the specs for producing P1944 utility coats and covers that are encountered with WWII-era EGA stamps would have detailed requirements for each pattern, including placement, size, presence, etc. of the EGA stamp. If the same specs could be found for the manufacturers of helmet covers, then, mystery could be solved. At some point they started being stamped, no arguments. Just when - 1953, 1957, 1962....?

Until then the mystery continues.

Dave

#34 TLHSS

TLHSS
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,144
  • 537 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 05:59 AM

Tim,

Thanks for sharing. That corpsman's jumper is BEAUTIFUL! :jeal0001: (if you EVER think of parting with it, give me a shout!!)

The cover on your first fixed bail looks very similar to the photo I posted above, from Jim Moran's book. It looks to me like the EGA has been done by hand. The second fixed bail is a curious one. I believe the EGA is post-WWII (but I'm not expert at all when it comes to EGAs) and is the shell painted plain white?

Thanks again,

Will

Will,

Thanks for the kind comments. The second helmet is actually a navy gray (with rust). The color tends to wash out with the photo flash. The EGA has been on the helmet for a long time, due to the rust and wear patterns ... but it may be post WWII.

Tim

#35 craig_pickrall

craig_pickrall

Deceased Forum Co-Founder

• IN MEMORIAM
    • Member ID: 5
  • 11,253 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 07:54 AM

I've noticed two types of EGA stamps on helmet covers. One, a slightly smaller version without the scroll in the eagle's beak; the other slightly larger with the scroll present. A review of the examples posted in this thread will illustrate what I'm saying. You see the scrolless version on P1944 covers and the version with the scroll on utility coats produced during the war. Not sure if there is any significance or not but certainly fodder for discussion. Seems to me that it would go a long way to determining when helmet covers started officially appearing with EGA stamps of any kind if someone could find the specs to manufacturers in some archive somewhere. It's a pretty safe bet that the specs for producing P1944 utility coats and covers that are encountered with WWII-era EGA stamps would have detailed requirements for each pattern, including placement, size, presence, etc. of the EGA stamp. If the same specs could be found for the manufacturers of helmet covers, then, mystery could be solved. At some point they started being stamped, no arguments. Just when - 1953, 1957, 1962....?

Until then the mystery continues.

Dave

I'm not sure there is any relationship between the pocket stencil on the various shirts and the one used on the helmet cover. The first example shown below is on a P41 pattern shirt. The same stencil was used on the P44 pattern shirt and I also have it on the P53 pattern (Gomer Pyle) shirt in HBT. The second example is on a P53 pattern shirt made of poplin. The open face EGA with half scroll became official in 1953. It was also used on the utility covers but without the scroll. The last known contract for the duckhunter covers was 1953 and the first Mitchell pattern covers were made in 1959.

EGA_STENCIL.jpg

USMC_GP_SHIRT_3.jpg

#36 Ronnie

Ronnie
  • Members
    • Member ID: 7,752
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 08:56 PM

I am familiar with all the books mentioned. The modern color photos of actors wearing stenciled covers STILL does not verify ACTUAL WW2 use with the stencils. You would think that with the hundreds of thousands of photos taken during the Pacific Campaign, that there would be something posted here by now...... :think:

Actually I wasn't referring to the photos of the reenactors. I thought that Glenn's first book had some photos of helmets w/ the device stenciled on. I can't find that book but if you will check out Jeff Warner's book entitled "Sailors In Forest Green USN Personnel Attached to the USMC" on page 177, take a look at the bottom photo and read the caption. Also look on page 182, also on the bottom there is a picture of a Marine wearing his fatigue cap with an Eagle Globe and Anchor stenciled on it. Page 305 has a great picture of a Marine wearing a helmet cover that is stenciled. All of these photos have captions that point out the stenciled Eagle Globe and Anchor.
If I can find Glenn's book I'll check to see if he shows some.
Ronnie

#37 Corpsmancollector

Corpsmancollector
  • Members
  • 4,811 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 05:06 AM

Here's a screenshot from 'Making The Pacific':

Pacific_EGA.JPG

Can't say as I've ever seen a cap device used like this before, but never say never in militaria collecting ;)

Will

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

In Memory of Co-Founder GREG MILLS ROBINSON, a.k.a. "Marine-KaBar"
(February 17, 1949 - March 5, 2011)