Humidity levels

one50

I'm starting my collection and finishing off the basement. My section of the basement will have my collection in it. WWI & WWII guns, hats, manuals, books, cloths, gear etc.

Being that it's in a basement, where it usually has a higher RH (Relative Humidity) levels does anyone know what the RH should be for a collection of stuff? I can control it with a dehumidifier, but I hate to make it to dry.

Any ideas on the matter would be great.

I'm starting my collection and finishing off the basement. My section of the basement will have my collection in it. WWI & WWII guns, hats, manuals, books, cloths, gear etc.

Being that it's in a basement, where it usually has a higher RH (Relative Humidity) levels does anyone know what the RH should be for a collection of stuff? I can control it with a dehumidifier, but I hate to make it to dry.

Any ideas on the matter would be great.

This is a great little site!! http://www.collectioncare.org/cci/ccier.html

CNY Militaria

I keep mine in the basement, and have the humidity set at about 50%. I had problems before getting it, but none since.

I keep mine in the basement, and have the humidity set at about 50%. I had problems before getting it, but none since.

I had my humidity set at about 55% for years and have had no noticable damage to any of my cloth or leather items, Ray

I had my humidity set at about 55% for years and have had no noticable damage to any of my cloth or leather items, Ray

55% is what the Smithsonian keeps relative humidity at. It works for me also. If the cement in your basement is not out of portland cement which is water impermiable you will keep your dehumidifier running all the time.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
Greg Sebring

What is the acceptable low % for humidity?

My basement stays naturally in the high 30% range. I have a cement floor with high gloss enamel floor paint and the walls have all been "Thorough-sealed". Am I too low? I keep most of my firearms in the basement, wiping them down good once or twice a year. I have never had any problems. I have very little leather and limited cloth.

Greg

What is the acceptable low % for humidity?

My basement stays naturally in the high 30% range. I have a cement floor with high gloss enamel floor paint and the walls have all been "Thorough-sealed". Am I too low? I keep most of my firearms in the basement, wiping them down good once or twice a year. I have never had any problems. I have very little leather and limited cloth.

Greg

For cloth and metal, the lower humidity is acceptable. However it can negatively affect any wood products (i.e. gun stocks).

One thing to remember, too, is that constant and/or extreme variation is more detrimental than even a consistent non-ideal temprature and RH. So for example, 40% all the time is better than switching between 50% and 40% every other day.

As stated above, that website can be helpful. Know you know why museums are so darned comfortable in the summertime! ;)

• 2 weeks later...